Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

Not this guy,… ever again.

I know it's gross, but everybody poops and this is awesome.

…so is Amazon prime and free 2 day shipping.

You sold me on the up hill part ! Every year we stay some where that the septic hook up is 6" higher than the black tank hook up, this will be purchased just for that campground!

That doesn't work because I doubt anyone pictures Inky as a 5 foot tall creepy looking bald guy. I'm going to go with LGR. If anything, Inky would be Mac, swooping in immediately.

I guess I need to start watching that show. For the record I'm a 5'10" creepy looking bald guy.

Come on bro. You gotta step your game up. Stalk around her like a lion hunting a gazelle. Shout things at her like "Hey sweet thing" and "I'd like a bite of that" in order to build up her self esteem. They love it! And for the deal closer, you gotta go for physical assault. That's how you introduce yourself to a woman. Talking to her? That's some new age "respect" baloney right there.

Yep. This is exactly how d4rk snagged me.

That and the time where he came up from behind and threw a burlap sack over my head and smuggled me away to his man cave. 

No, actually, it worked because he took a riding course with me and we just threw insults at each other the entire time. 

So... insult her! Always works! Just watch the movies! Lively hate tinged banter ALWAYS leads to the bangin'!

Yep. This is exactly how d4rk snagged me.

That and the time where he came up from behind and threw a burlap sack over my head and smuggled me away to his man cave. 

No, actually, it worked because he took a riding course with me and we just threw insults at each other the entire time. 

So... insult her! Always works! Just watch the movies! Lively hate tinged banter ALWAYS leads to the bangin'!

Hate tinged banter is practically my love language.

Come on bro. You gotta step your game up. Stalk around her like a lion hunting a gazelle. Shout things at her like "Hey sweet thing" and "I'd like a bite of that" in order to build up her self esteem. They love it! And for the deal closer, you gotta go for physical assault. That's how you introduce yourself to a woman. Talking to her? That's some new age "respect" baloney right there.

This advice was brought to you by the criminology major

Edited by wjag

This is so great:

Someday when I'm in a position to have a pet again, I want a special needs dog.  I want the animal that everyone else is going to pass over and say "too much work".

Edited by biodork

I got a raise today. :beer:

That is awesome. Congrats man.

In related news - I plan on asking for a raise soon. Anybody have tips on the timing/how to bring it up? Other tips? I plan to say that I think everybody else that works there sucks and I'm better, but what else? (just kidding)

That is awesome. Congrats man.

In related news - I plan on asking for a raise soon. Anybody have tips on the timing/how to bring it up? Other tips? I plan to say that I think everybody else that works there sucks and I'm better, but what else? (just kidding)

Document the better than everyone else.  Seriously.  I'm not sure how you do it in your industry, but you can't walk in and say I deserve more without proving it to them.

Well, you can, but those conversations usually don't work in your favor.

Document the better than everyone else.  Seriously.  I'm not sure how you do it in your industry, but you can't walk in and say I deserve more without proving it to them.

Well, you can, but those conversations usually don't work in your favor.

I think a key is for me to prove that I'm no longer performing at an entry-level pay scale... Which I strongly believe I am not. Because that's the reason I got less than the position was originally intended to pay.

I have no doubt that I'm performing at a higher level than the only other equal in the office yet I know that this individual makes a somewhat significant amount more than I do.

I think a key is for me to prove that I'm no longer performing at an entry-level pay scale... Which I strongly believe I am not. Because that's the reason I got less than the position was originally intended to pay.

I have no doubt that I'm performing at a higher level than the only other equal in the office yet I know that this individual makes a somewhat significant amount more than I do.

So think about ways you can quantify your value relative to that person (and remember, disparaging coworkers to your boss is always viewed to be bad form ;)).

If you can, also quantify your value relative to the job description. Point out where you exceed the expectations, and be ready to explain how you're going to step up if there are any tasks you aren't nailing.

In your field, you have access to a lot of reference material. See what you can find on payscales in WNY to help bolster your case.

Good luck w/ it.

So think about ways you can quantify your value relative to that person (and remember, disparaging coworkers to your boss is always viewed to be bad form ;)).

If you can, also quantify your value relative to the job description. Point out where you exceed the expectations, and be ready to explain how you're going to step up if there are any tasks you aren't nailing.

In your field, you have access to a lot of reference material. See what you can find on payscales in WNY to help bolster your case.

Good luck w/ it.

Thanks for the tips. I plan to almost entirely avoid mentioning coworkers because I don't want it to come off like I'm saying I deserve more money because others make more than me.

I know that most tips say to avoid any personal comments such as "I'm having trouble paying bills." Is this pretty much agreed? One of my big thoughts is that I believe that I'm putting far too much effort and producing too many positive results to be struggling just to get by.

Good luck w/ it.

All of this.

Thanks for the tips. I plan to almost entirely avoid mentioning coworkers because I don't want it to come off like I'm saying I deserve more money because others make more than me.

I know that most tips say to avoid any personal comments such as "I'm having trouble paying bills." Is this pretty much agreed? One of my big thoughts is that I believe that I'm putting far too much effort and producing too many positive results to be struggling just to get by.

Keep personal life stuff out of it.  You can either show where you are worth more or you can't.  How it relates to your personal budget is irrelevant.

When you were hired were there any indications when / how much your initial salary review would be held? Either at a specific time or when you'd demonstrated a certain level of proficiency? If so, that's the ideal time to pounce.

Personally, I'd avoid any comments about having problems with bills, as your boss might see a futility in giving you a bump in salary as what he believes his budget can afford may be less than he expects would make a difference; and he could figure you're on your way out the door anyhow.

Comparisons to colleagues can be tricky; but if your responsibilities are similar to another coworker that makes significantly more, you can compare the similarities in results and / or find out what the compensation range is for your position. When you are at the low end of the range, it usually is easier to make your case to get towards the midpoint of the range.

I know you already know this, (so this isn't meant to be as preachy as it sounds; it's just provided for reinforcement of the thought) but I would also avoid like the plague any comments that give the impression that you work too hard for what you get. ALWAYS keep the discussion focused on the positives you bring and how you want to grow in the position.

Do you know when his/her budget is determined? if there isn't a set time for personnel reviews, asking when the department budgeting process is beginning could be helpful. If you don't know this, or it's poor timing for the cycle; are there any tasks / projects your boss is particularly pleased with your results / progress on. Bringing up the possibility of a raise when the boss is particularly pleased with you can't hurt.

And lastly, be prepared. Have your ducks in a row heading into the meeting, but also anticipate his/her potential reactions and have responses ready.

Again, good luck with it.