What are you eating (or drinking)?

Weave

Any recipe ideas you'd like to share? I have a jar of black-strap that I'm trying to figure out what to do with.

I use it in a beef stew recipe where the stew meat is simmered in strong brewed black coffee, molasses, Worcestershire sauce and spices for an hour and a half, before adding the vegetables in. 

I've heard it goes good in a cup of coffee but never tried it. Seems like too much work.  :P

Let's see if we can give this thread a long run. Post up what you are consuming, restaurant, homemade, just something you are really enjoying at the moment, whatever......

It is Saturday afternoon. The wife is not home. And I have no plans. For lunch I just made myself a plate of Yancy's Fancy Bergenost cheese, good pepperoni, and an assortment of crackers. Opened a bottle of Ovila Saison to quench my thirst. Life is good.

How about you?

Less.  I'm eating less.  I'd look to drop about 50 lb.

MattPie, on 05 Jan 2016 - 3:15 PM, said:

Any recipe ideas you'd like to share? I have a jar of black-strap that I'm trying to figure out what to do with.

My wife makes cookies out of that stuff.  If you like those kinds of cookies, they're pretty damn good.  You can also use it to make a BBQ sauce for ribs.

In other news, with some of the left-over Christmas ham, I made Cheddar Cheese Scalloped Potatoes with Ham last week, first time in ages since I even thought of that dish.  It was SUBLIME.  Among the most perfect winter comfort foods.  Of course, there isn't an ingredient in the house that isn't organic or straight from the farm.  That makes pretty much anything we make far better quality than 99% of all restaurants on the planet (doesn't hurt we're both very good in the kitchen...wink, wink, nudge, nudge).

I also came up with a new concept in nachos.  I make my own guacamole, and with the aforementioned happily-raised ingredients, this was a stunning plate of nachos.  Are you ready?  I give this concept to you free of charge, and if I see it in a restaurant, I'm suing you all...it's Nachos Poutine.  There is a trick, though, to making it JUST RIGHT, which I will share for a reasonable fee.

• 2 weeks later...

So I am drinking a Coke for the first time in about four months.  I've never been much of a soda drinker, maybe about one a week, until I stopped altogether last fall.

It is amazing how sickly sweet this is.  I feel like my teeth are crawling.

I can't imagine what a Pepsi would taste / feel like.

So I am drinking a Coke for the first time in about four months.  I've never been much of a soda drinker, maybe about one a week, until I stopped altogether last fall.

I drink maybe a can of soda every couple of months.  Yes, sickly sweet when you avoid it regularly.

I know that feeling. I don't drink too much sugary stuff, so when I do, wow, it's enough of a sweet treat to last me a month. 

So I am drinking a Coke for the first time in about four months. I've never been much of a soda drinker, maybe about one a week, until I stopped altogether last fall.

It is amazing how sickly sweet this is. I feel like my teeth are crawling.

But that wonderful carbonation burn....mmm, makes it all worth it. I haven't had a coke in about a month. I probably won't have another for quite some time, but coke is my go to. Oh and Pepsi would taste awful and feel like death because it is disgusting.

I get my soda fix with carbonated flavored 0 cal waters.  One of these days I need to get a Soda Stream and do my own without the fake sweeteners.

Edit:  Sometimes I'm an idiot.  Well, lazy, not idiot.  I've got the Co2 stuff to carbonate.  I just need the motivation to make my own.

Edited by We've

I stopped drinking soda about 2 years ago. Admittedly, all I drank was diet, which many think is actually worse for you.

I've struggled with horrible stomach problems my whole life. I stopped drinking that crap and everything improved drastically. 

My family convinced me it was good for me. Half a can of the sugary stuff will give me a migraine. Therefore, diet was the answer to everything (they're all diabetic). 

Only water, coffee, beer or wine and the occasional ginger ale for me these days. 

I stopped drinking soda about 2 years ago. Admittedly, all I drank was diet, which many think is actually worse for you.

I've struggled with horrible stomach problems my whole life. I stopped drinking that crap and everything improved drastically. 

My family convinced me it was good for me. Half a can of the sugary stuff will give me a migraine. Therefore, diet was the answer to everything (they're all diabetic). 

Only water, coffee, beer or wine and the occasional ginger ale for me these days. 

I'd guess the soda was screwing over your stomach bacteria and the like.  Glad you figured it out!

There is only one way to drink a Coke, mixed liberally with whiskey and maybe a dash of bitters.

• 3 weeks later...

The menu for the superbowl party that I've invited no one to.

Pizza, ham and cheese croissant rolls, chicken wing dip, funfetti cake mix dip(dunkaroos), bean & salsa dip, sausage bread, bacon wrapped Lil smokies.

All homemade by the wife and I.

Picked up a 12 of Genny Cream and I'm good to go!

Buffalo Chicken Wing Dip, Grilled, Bacon wrapped, Cream Cheese stuffed Jalapeño Poppers, Grilled a oysters with a slew of dipping sauces and Pastrami Ruben Casserole to name a few. Bloody Mary's this a.m. , Hennessy Privilege over ice in the evening. I'm pretty set.

Maybe, if there were clams in it.

I chortled. Seemed like the right response to a New England joke.

I get my soda fix with carbonated flavored 0 cal waters.  One of these days I need to get a Soda Stream and do my own without the fake sweeteners.

Edit:  Sometimes I'm an idiot.  Well, lazy, not idiot.  I've got the Co2 stuff to carbonate.  I just need the motivation to make my own.

I'm interested in this. I just can't shake my Diet Coke habit even though I know it's not doing my enamel any good. I crave a number of things about a Diet Coke, but I do think mostly it's that burning fizz. I honestly don't think it's the sweetness. I don't think it tastes that sweet. Or the caffeine.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.