What are you eating (or drinking)?

Weave

It was amazingly simple to cook.  It was the first time I ever tried it.  It was (I think) 2 lb. of potatoes, a pound of carrots, an onion (chopped up), a quart of beef stock, a few Tsp of corn starch and some seasoning added to a 5 lb. cheap roast.  Cook for about 5 hours at 350.  You could probably scale it down and cook in a crock pot.

I think I've done something similar with a pork roast in the slow cooker before, and it's one of those easy and delicious meals I never think to make.  I'm so terrible about planning meals in advance and getting groceries with a recipe in mind vs. just random stuff that sounds good or is on sale.

Stopped for lunch at the Allen St. Poutine Company, it was very good.  For dinner we went to the Scotch and Sirloin on Maple. The food was good, maybe a little pricey. The problem was that my wife and I were the only couple there under 70 and without a coupon. A late 70's - early 80's decor, if they kept the food but had one of those restaurant makeovers it could be a really nice place.    

It is grey, and soggy out.  I've got a good book to curl up with.  Needed something for internal warmth to go along with Hemingway.  

Received a bottle of tequila for Christmas.  Suerte blanco.  The interwebs suggest this is an up and coming label.  Made a little differently.  Roasted agave instead of steamed, filtered via  1 micron filter instead of charcoal.  Yada yada yada.

Poured into a glencairn glass.  Nose is full of melon and lemongrass.  really interesting as it is not what I would call a typical tequila aroma. First swallow..... It is a touch grassy at first, but then the lemon and sweet melon kick in.  The roasting of the agave is evident, I get a flavor I can only describe as similar to the aroma of a poblano roasting on the grill.  Just a hint of it and then it is quickly gone, that familiar flavor of charred and caramelized pepper skin.  A mix of sweet honey and pepper as it fades, and then the finish is fully white pepper.  

Really interesting layers of flavors.  It noticeably passes from vegetal to sweet fruits, and then the sweet quickly fades into lasting pepper.  Not a typical tequila, but a very good one.

I don't drink many blancos.  I'm a reposado guy.  But this is really nice stuff.  Definitely worthy of drinking neat.  I wonder if the flavors carry though when its been rested in oak for a bit?  I guess I'll have to buy another bottle.

Was looking for a pork recipe to do in the slow cooker yesterday since it seems to be the unofficial meat of New Year's (maybe a PA thing), and found one in a cookbook I had. Super easy: combine one can of whole berry cranberry sauce with a packet of onion soup mix, then spread over a 2-3 lb pork roast and cook 8-9 hrs on low. Surprisingly tasty and low effort!

Was looking for a pork recipe to do in the slow cooker yesterday since it seems to be the unofficial meat of New Year's (maybe a PA thing), and found one in a cookbook I had. Super easy: combine one can of whole berry cranberry sauce with a packet of onion soup mix, then spread over a 2-3 lb pork roast and cook 8-9 hrs on low. Surprisingly tasty and low effort!

That should be the official state food of Pennsylvania.

And the sauerkraut? Also slow cooked, with brown sugar and caraway seeds perhaps?

And the sauerkraut? Also slow cooked, with brown sugar and caraway seeds perhaps?

Maybe it's because I wasn't a PA native, but I despise sauerkraut!  I can't get past the smell to even consider tasting the stuff.  Blech!

Maybe it's because I wasn't a PA native, but I despise sauerkraut!  I can't get past the smell to even consider tasting the stuff.  Blech!

Never tasted it? There is some nasty ###### out there for sure. The canned stuff people just heat up. Yuck. My mother's recipe is simple and so good. It's more of a sweet and sauerkraut. Sometimes with caraway seeds that impart another layer to the flavor. I bet you'd like it.

Ah, jeez. K r a u t

Edited by PASabreFan

Never tasted it? There is some nasty ###### out there for sure. The canned stuff people just heat up. Yuck. My mother's recipe is simple and so good. It's more of a sweet and sauerkraut. Sometimes with caraway seeds that impart another layer to the flavor. I bet you'd like it.

Yeah, I feel like a bit of a hypocrite saying I hate it when I haven't tried it (I've tried to get better about that as I get older)... it just smells so darn nasty.  And I don't think I've ever seen anything other than the canned stuff, so perhaps homemade stuff isn't as terrible.  Does it still smell like  :sick: ?

Yeah, I feel like a bit of a hypocrite saying I hate it when I haven't tried it (I've tried to get better about that as I get older)... it just smells so darn nasty.  And I don't think I've ever seen anything other than the canned stuff, so perhaps homemade stuff isn't as terrible.  Does it still smell like  :sick: ?

I buy the bagged. Silver Floss is a good brand. It is pungent, but I think the brown sugar helps with the smell once it's baking. I don't find it to be an offensive smell (at least not until it's been consumed, ahem). And this is where we've tells us he cures his own organically grown cabbage in a ceramic pot from the Mogilny Dynasty.

I buy the bagged. Silver Floss is a good brand. It is pungent, but I think the brown sugar helps with the smell once it's baking. I don't find it to be an offensive smell (at least not until it's been consumed, ahem). And this is where we've tells us he cures his own organically grown cabbage in a ceramic pot from the Mogilny Dynasty.

:D

The bagged stuff ain't bad, but nuthin beats your own fermented sauerkraut.

Bio, if it helps you get past the smell, it is just naturally pickled cabbage.  substitute cukes for cabbage and....... 

OMG fermented foods....... beer, bread, pickles, sauerkraut, cheese, kimchi, yogurt...........

:lol:

Any recipe ideas you'd like to share? I have a jar of black-strap that I'm trying to figure out what to do with.

Makes a good depth of flavor addition to chili.  Add to barbeque sauces.  Molasses cookies.  Ginger bread.  Make your own brown sugar, just because.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.