What are you eating (or drinking)?

Weave

I always liked Stouffer's too. It was, and is, a little pricey. But you felt/feel like you're treating yourself to the upper crust of frozen pizza. The crispy french bread is quite delightful. The cheese and sauce, not so much. Any port in a storm, though.

Forget it, he's pizza rolling.

I don't think I've ever had a pizza roll. Seriously, I couldn't even draw one for you. I know they exist but have no mental picture of one. 

(google, google, google) .....so they look like McDonald's apple pies? 

Does McDonald's still sell apple pies?

(google, google, google)

Edited by X. Benedict

I don't think I've ever had a pizza roll. Seriously, I couldn't even draw one for you. I know they exist but have no mental picture of one. 

(google, google, google) .....so they look like McDonald's apple pies? 

Does McDonald's still sell apple pies?

(google, google, google)

It was converted to the filet o fish for Lent in 1997.

I always thought an American pizza joint would do well there. Really show em how it's done. Maybe a Papa John's.

You gotta go with Little Ceasars because it will trick those Romans into thinking they are eating local. After you get'em hooked you start plastering the restaurant in American flags and tell those Italians to bow to their new master.

You gotta go with Little Ceasars because it will trick those Romans into thinking they are eating local. After you get'em hooked you start plastering the restaurant in American flags and tell those Italians to bow to their new master.

I like the cut of your slice.

• 3 weeks later...

Kentucky Greg's is now serving Beer Cheese Soup, like everything else they serve, it's amazing. 

Also,

Went to breakfast at Nick's Place on Amherst Street, just west of Wegman's, on Saturday, very good and reasonably priced. My favorite spot for breakfast is the Howling Rooster on Kenmore Ave, I will be adding Nick's Place into the rotation. 

• 2 weeks later...

OK.  So until a few weeks ago, I was on the widower diet, which means a lot of bourbon and a lot of takeout.  I don't think I had made a meal for myself--mac and cheese does not count--until mid Oct.  This sad situation went on for roughly two years.  (I know, she died in January, but if you think I was eating healthily when she was in the hospital, come on.  I only ate well when she was home and watching me.)

I signed up for Blue Apron.

Mock me if you want.  But holy , I am cooking for myself again, and the meals are amazing.  And--I know it looks expensive--but remember that I was eating takeout from restaurants.  EVERY NIGHT.  So I'm saving money.  A LOT of money, because I get a din and two lunches (which I used to buy out) from each recipe.  I still eat out with friends one night a week, and I still eat at my folks' one night / day a week, so it's all filled up.

Tonight wasn't great; it was catfish prepared piccata style.  But I've had amazing pork and root veg; Moroccan sausages over spiced farro; shrimp perloo; chicken about three different amazing ways.

I don't worry about wasting food because all ingredients get used.  I do worry about Wednesday's meal, which is Korean-style chicken wings.  (Hey, not everything is going to be a favorite.)

But I have rediscovered my kitchen, I am eating the same amount of food (you'd be amazed how much 500 calories is in "real food"), I've lost eight pounds** in two weeks without doing anything else*, I've rediscovered something that I like (cooking) and I found a way to occupy an hour of my time, every other day, in a productive way.

*I am exercising again, and have been since July, but until I changed my eating habits, the weight wasn't coming off.

**Those of you who know me know that I'm not exactly grossly obese, but still, I want to get back to FIT.

OK.  So until a few weeks ago, I was on the widower diet, which means a lot of bourbon and a lot of takeout.  I don't think I had made a meal for myself--mac and cheese does not count--until mid Oct.  This sad situation went on for roughly two years.  (I know, she died in January, but if you think I was eating healthily when she was in the hospital, come on.  I only ate well when she was home and watching me.)

Mock me if you want.  But holy ######, I am cooking for myself again, and the meals are amazing.  And--I know it looks expensive--but remember that I was eating takeout from restaurants.  EVERY NIGHT.  So I'm saving money.  A LOT of money, because I get a din and two lunches (which I used to buy out) from each recipe.  I still eat out with friends one night a week, and I still eat at my folks' one night / day a week, so it's all filled up.

Tonight wasn't great; it was catfish prepared piccata style.  But I've had amazing pork and root veg; Moroccan sausages over spiced farro; shrimp perloo; chicken about three different amazing ways.

I don't worry about wasting food because all ingredients get used.  I do worry about Wednesday's meal, which is Korean-style chicken wings.  (Hey, not everything is going to be a favorite.)

But I have rediscovered my kitchen, I am eating the same amount of food (you'd be amazed how much 500 calories is in "real food"), I've lost eight pounds** in two weeks without doing anything else*, I've rediscovered something that I like (cooking) and I found a way to occupy an hour of my time, every other day, in a productive way.

*I am exercising again, and have been since July, but until I changed my eating habits, the weight wasn't coming off.

**Those of you who know me know that I'm not exactly grossly obese, but still, I want to get back to FIT.

Nice.  I've heard of Blue Apron and love the concept because (as you know) cooking for one is difficult when most recipes are intended to feed 4-6 people, but right now it's not in the budget for me.  Cool to hear how varied the recipes they send are, though.  I felt like I hadn't cooked in months between staying with friends during the week in Maryland and not wanting to mess up the kitchen at the house on weekends, so now that I'm finally in a permanent place with a functional kitchen, I'm happy to be able to do it again.  I made green curried lentils with sweet potato and spinach on Saturday, and it's good but it's going to end up being 7 servings for me and I'll be thoroughly sick of eating it by Wed. this week.

OK. So until a few weeks ago, I was on the widower diet, which means a lot of bourbon and a lot of takeout. I don't think I had made a meal for myself--mac and cheese does not count--until mid Oct. This sad situation went on for roughly two years. (I know, she died in January, but if you think I was eating healthily when she was in the hospital, come on. I only ate well when she was home and watching me.)

Mock me if you want. But holy ######, I am cooking for myself again, and the meals are amazing. And--I know it looks expensive--but remember that I was eating takeout from restaurants. EVERY NIGHT. So I'm saving money. A LOT of money, because I get a din and two lunches (which I used to buy out) from each recipe. I still eat out with friends one night a week, and I still eat at my folks' one night / day a week, so it's all filled up.

Tonight wasn't great; it was catfish prepared piccata style. But I've had amazing pork and root veg; Moroccan sausages over spiced farro; shrimp perloo; chicken about three different amazing ways.

I don't worry about wasting food because all ingredients get used. I do worry about Wednesday's meal, which is Korean-style chicken wings. (Hey, not everything is going to be a favorite.)

The question everyone wants the answer to: are you currently capable of doing more than zero pullups?

Nice.  I've heard of Blue Apron and love the concept because (as you know) cooking for one is difficult when most recipes are intended to feed 4-6 people, but right now it's not in the budget for me.  Cool to hear how varied the recipes they send are, though.  I felt like I hadn't cooked in months between staying with friends during the week in Maryland and not wanting to mess up the kitchen at the house on weekends, so now that I'm finally in a permanent place with a functional kitchen, I'm happy to be able to do it again.  I made green curried lentils with sweet potato and spinach on Saturday, and it's good but it's going to end up being 7 servings for me and I'll be thoroughly sick of eating it by Wed. this week.

Seven servings of ANYTHING would be exhausting, I don't care if it's steak and lobster.

The question everyone wants the answer to: are you currently capable of doing more than zero pullups?

Yep.  That qualifies me for 29 of 30 NHL teams.

Lindy still has that restraining order, huh?

I have a hard time forcing myself to cook. I despise the way fast food makes me feel in the morning, but I give in way too often.

You're still young.  Go set the world on fire (that's the song, right?) with your fast food gas.

Seven servings of ANYTHING would be exhausting, I don't care if it's steak and lobster.

I think I could eat lasagna (homemade, not the microwavable crap) for a week straight, but otherwise agreed! Usually if I make something in a large batch I'll plan to freeze a bunch of it, but I've never tried freezing cooked lentils and suspect they'd get mushy. It's a trade-off between the convenience of not having to figure out what's for lunch all week and not wanting the lunch I've packed by the end of it, lol.

Mock me if you want.  But holy ######, I am cooking for myself again, and the meals are amazing.  And--I know it looks expensive--but remember that I was eating takeout from restaurants.  EVERY NIGHT.  So I'm saving money.  A LOT of money, because I get a din and two lunches (which I used to buy out) from each recipe.  I still eat out with friends one night a week, and I still eat at my folks' one night / day a week, so it's all filled up.

Blue Apron is cool, we've done it from time to time over the last few months when the budget allows. For us, it was great because it forced us to cook. My wife doesn't like to cook and I don't find time unless there are ingredients that are going to go to waste. We tried a couple others that come in slightly different price points. Fresh Direct was fine but the food wasn't anything special. Plated had good food and the option to pick and choose what you get to a degree (you get offered a set of dishes per week and you can but 2 or more). Blue Apron his the sweet spot though as the food was really great and it's better than ordering out.

I'm making pumpkin pies after while. It'll suck having to smell them and wait until tomorrow until they're cool and set up to eat them. Lakeshore Pumpkin of course. Evaporated milk, eggs, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice. Light on the sugar and heavy on the spice. I like them more spicy and less sweet. I make my own crust too. I'll make a fine wife someday.

I'm making pumpkin pies after while. It'll suck having to smell them and wait until tomorrow until they're cool and set up to eat them. Lakeshore Pumpkin of course. Evaporated milk, eggs, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice. Light on the sugar and heavy on the spice. I like them more spicy and less sweet. I make my own crust too. I'll make a fine wife someday.

Have you ever made pumpkin pie using actual pumpkin?  Roast pie pumpkins (don't use jackolantern pumpkins, they are less sweet and more stringy) just like you would squash (until very tender) and use that as the filling base instead of canned.  You might not go back to canned.

Orrrr........ dirty little secret is canned pumpkin is mostly squash anyway.  Hubbard squash makes amazing filling.

Edited by We've

Have you ever made pumpkin pie using actual pumpkin?  Roast pie pumpkins (don't use jackolantern pumpkins, they are less sweet and more stringy) just like you would squash (until very tender) and use that as the filling base instead of canned.  You might not go back to canned.

Orrrr........ dirty little secret is canned pumpkin is mostly squash anyway.  Hubbard squash makes amazing filling.

Yeah I'll get right on that. :)

Hmmm, the can says "pumpkin." I'd be pretty disappointed to find out it's not all pumpkin, although it sounds like it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. Still...

Yeah I'll get right on that. :)

Hmmm, the can says "pumpkin." I'd be pretty disappointed to find out it's not all pumpkin, although it sounds like it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. Still...

If you are feeling the need to get your blood pressure up, check the FDA regs.  Can be any squash as long as some pumpkin is in there.  I don't recall the exact number but 20% pumpkin rings a bell.

And here it is....  Doesn't have to have any pumpkin in it at all to be labeled pumpkin.

POLICY:

In the labeling of articles prepared from golden-fleshed, sweet squash or mixtures of such squash and field pumpkin, we will consider the designation "pumpkin" to be in essential compliance with the "common or usual name" requirements of sections 403(i)(l) and 403(i)(2) of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, and the "specifying of identity" required by section 1453(a)(1) of the Fair Packaging and Labeling Act.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.