What are you eating (or drinking)?

Weave

Try overnight fermentations in the refrigerator with the original recipe too.  Long, slow ferments result in a different end product.

Additionally, handling after proofing is important.  Make your final shape.  Let it proof to twice original size, GENTLY get it to the oven.  You went through alot of trouble to make lots of bubbles inside.  You don't want to ruin all that good work.

The yeast has reacted much much better this time. First rise was good, second rise is going great. I think I've got a winner. 

Don't?  Like? Fench Fries?

Proof.

I really don't care for them.  Potatos can be made so many better ways.  Or, instead, I can eat something like...

Sous vide London broil then high heat sear over lump coal. Awesome.

attachicon.gifIMG_20150822_190944427.jpg

Yeah.  I get something like that, I'm not saving room for freaking French fries, that's certain.

Tonight, I finally tried the famous Sweet Baby Ray's barbecue sauce.

I'm not in love with it.

It has a little bit of heat, but it kicks in too late.  It's barbecue sauce; I want my flavors up front.  Like with wings.  I don't need a kick three seconds later; I want the kick, if any, when I bite.  It's a sauce, not a wine.

It is WAY WAY too sweet.  I get it, it's KC style, there's a lot of molasses in there.  But wow.  It if weren't for the late kick, I'd put it on pancakes.

And I gave it three tries: on meat, as a dip, and in a spoon.

What it needs:  some heavy sour/bitter to cut the sweetness, and heat that's not delayed.

I'm not in love with it.

It has a little bit of heat, but it kicks in too late.  It's barbecue sauce; I want my flavors up front.  Like with wings.  I don't need a kick three seconds later; I want the kick, if any, when I bite.  It's a sauce, not a wine.

It is WAY WAY too sweet.  I get it, it's KC style, there's a lot of molasses in there.  But wow.  It if weren't for the late kick, I'd put it on pancakes.

What it needs:  some heavy sour/bitter to cut the sweetness, and heat that's not delayed.

They don't call it SWEET Baby Ray's for nuthin.

Its alright.  As far as commonly available goes, around here Dinosaur is about as good as it gets.

They don't call it SWEET Baby Ray's for nuthin.

Its alright. As far as commonly available goes, around here Dinosaur is about as good as it gets.

I use em both fairly often. Some days I want my ribs sticky sweet, so I go with sweet baby's, other times I want a taste of home so I go to the wango tango. I picked up the dinosaur cookbook a while back so I make my own Dinosaur BBQ sauces.

I'm not in love with it.

It has a little bit of heat, but it kicks in too late. It's barbecue sauce; I want my flavors up front. Like with wings. I don't need a kick three seconds later; I want the kick, if any, when I bite. It's a sauce, not a wine.

It is WAY WAY too sweet. I get it, it's KC style, there's a lot of molasses in there. But wow. It if weren't for the late kick, I'd put it on pancakes.

What it needs: some heavy sour/bitter to cut the sweetness, and heat that's not delayed.

You have some of the worst food opinions in the world (fries, Chef's, Mighty...) but I'm with you here. Sweet Baby Ray's gets a giant "meh" from me.

You have some of the worst food opinions in the world (fries, Chef's, Mighty...) but I'm with you here. Sweet Baby Ray's gets a giant "meh" from me.

I used to like it, but now I just make my own.  Don't follow any recipes, just use what's on hand.  I like mine with a good bit of cider vinegar and a little heat up front, but also try to have some sweet notes in there.  Honey, root beer, Dr. Pepper, molasses... whatever I feel like throwing in there to sweeten it up a bit, but not too much.

Bought a new to me tequila, Camarena reposado. Middle of the shelf stuff. Not bad. A little light in flavor but smooth. Sort of a Makers Mark for tequila.

Drinking it right now with a muddled lime slice, a touch of agave syrup, and about 8oz of club soda, over a glass of ice. Very refreshing on a warm, muggy day.

I've been meaning to respond to this post. This has been my go to tequila for a while now. I think I even posted about it a while ago and I'm sipping it over ice right now,… but,… I think they changed it recently. I couldn't put my finger on it until you posted that. It does have less flavor now. It's the same flavor it was, just less. I still like it over ice or neat, but it just doesn't do enough for me when used in a drink.

Might have to find a new one. Had a couple of fingers of Hornitos at a friend of mine the other day and thought it was pretty good.

I've been meaning to respond to this post. This has been my go to tequila for a while now. I think I even posted about it a while ago and I'm sipping it over ice right now,… but,… I think they changed it recently. I couldn't put my finger on it until you posted that. It does have less flavor now. It's the same flavor it was, just less. I still like it over ice or neat, but it just doesn't do enough for me when used in a drink.

Might have to find a new one. Had a couple of fingers of Hornitos at a friend of mine the other day and thought it was pretty good.

Interesting.  If you can get Tres Agaves reposado, I think you'll like it.  Another middle of the shelf label that I think is great value.  Was my go to margarita tequila when I could find it.

My loaf of bread came out really good today. I used a little more sugar and let it rise a lot longer for both rises. The crust is thinner and flakier and the loaf is just the right density. Pretty satisfied right now. 

:thumbsup:

Coffee milk.  OMG.  It's like drinking coffee ice cream.  I can't have a lot of caffeine, so this is a decaf version, but holy ######, this is the thing!

It's a Rhode Island thing like wings are a Buffalo thing:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_milk

It is amazing.

I don't understand why you wouldn't just melt some coffee ice cream. :)

French Press Kona coffee. Half the fun is preparation, and half is enjoying. I have five to seven coffees a day. Most are office machine brewed or Keurig K cups. Fast and furious. Grinding beans, pressing, is all luxury.

Last night I had a glass of Alto Moncayo 2012 Granacha. Cool room temperature, pouring and decanting. Again, it's the preparation.

Simple pleasures.

Lastly, before someone concludes I'm a fancy pants, it's Budweiser and/or Jack Daniels bourbon for me. There are times, though, in a frantic world, when quietly assembling a drink, and noticing every sip when you're finished, brings peace.

Best restaurants - those that recognize and accommodate pace.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.