What are you eating (or drinking)?

Weave

I just had 5 scrambled eggs and a hot dog. It was glorious!

Can you tell that I'm a bachelor for the night?

I really am a very good cook. I just have no desire to prepare dinner for just myself. Plus, I eat for free at work all night long.

making, not eating...

Patio harvest really starting to kick in.  Grew a new to me variety of tomato called Taps.  Huge, sweet slicing tomatoes.  They are ripening in droves now.  And my serrano peppers are turning red. Aaaaand we go on vacation this Sunday.  What to do?  Salsa.

About 10 BIG tomatoes

12 Serrano peppers

2 large onions, roasted

6 garlic cloves

2 medium sized Summer squash

2/3 cup reconstituted lemon juice

1Tbls Kosher salt

10-12 Thai Basil leaves

Process all of it in batches in a foodprocessor until you get the size "chunks" you like.  I process the 'maters last so they don't get overprocessed.  Bring to a boil and then simmer for 15-20 minutes.  While hot, ladle into canning jars.  Process in boiling water for 10 minutes.  Let sit for 2 weeks.  Enjoy.

Has a good dose of heat.  Manageable, but sweat producing for sure.

Judging by the color of the fruit on the plants.  I'll be making another batch before we leave this weekend.

Popcorn and oatmeal. I'm out of food and don't have the time to go shopping. So dinner is whatever I can scrounge out of cupboards. Man, it's almost like college again. At least I was skinny in college. 

I wish I could eat words- this thread would sustain me

Popcorn and oatmeal. I'm out of food and don't have the time to go shopping. So dinner is whatever I can scrounge out of cupboards. Man, it's almost like college again. At least I was skinny in college.

I wish I could eat words- this thread would sustain me

You're still skinny, shush.

I just had 5 scrambled eggs and a hot dog. It was glorious!

Can you tell that I'm a bachelor for the night?

I really am a very good cook. I just have no desire to prepare dinner for just myself. Plus, I eat for free at work all night long.

I made a plate of french fries with 3 fried eggs and some jalapeno ketchup. Poor man's feast but it's always a favorite for me. I could win the lottery and still want to eat it at least once a week.

While you yahoos are watching the republican debate I am watching Barbeque with Franklin on Rochester PBS.  He's building a barbeque pit out of a 500 gal propane tank.   :wub:

Edited by weave

One thing I can't seem to conquer is frozen chicken. How do I unthaw a small portion of it for cooking so the rest can remain frozen and put back in the freezer?

You can thaw and refreeze but the texture of the meat suffers alot. Best advice is ti freeze in smaller portions to prevent this.

Edited by weave

This. Portion accordingly before freezing.

Or, take three chicken breasts (one package, most of the time) and prepare them (let's say pan fried in a little oil with Wegs or Dinosaur BBQ rub). Eat one with dinner (vegetables and a grain as sides). Put the other two in the fridge. Tomorrow, cube one breast and put it on a salad. The next day, slice the remainder and make a sandwich out of it with lettuce and other toppings. The only issue is a chicken breast is really 2 servings each so we're solidly into "American Portion Control" territory.

Has anyone tried Mooney's on Military Road near Sheridan? Kick ass wings and righteous mac&cheeses. Had an order of medium wings and they were great, it's been a whle since I ordered medium wings and the sauce wasn't just pure fire. Nice juicy wings with great flavor. The wife had the stuffed pepper mac&cheese which was one of the best mac&cheeses I have ever tasted and portion size would even cause Jamie Nails to hesitate. Needless to say we took a heavy container home. Great service and a very welcoming vibe, I will be heading back there again and often.   

Dinner tonight is steak fajitas with grilled peppers and onions.  Sirloin marinated in beer, chopped seraano peppers, onions, cilantro, and cumin, sliced thin against the grain.  I've got a chipotle sour cream I whipped up quick, and good ole El Yucateca habanero hot sauce.  Simple and delicious.

And while that is going on....... I came home from vacation to find a bumper crop of serranos, jalapenos, and habaneros, and heritage tomatoes that we're growing. Most of the harvest is peppers.  Two bowls full.  I'm making a habanero-mango chutney now, with a mango pineapple salsa to follow, and roasted tomato-jalapeno salsa in the queue.  And I still won't use all that I've got right now.

Next on the list is pepper relishes.  I'll do one batch for each variety I'm growing.

Edited by weave

Dinner tonight is steak fajitas with grilled peppers and onions. Sirloin marinated in beer, chopped seraano peppers, onions, cilantro, and cumin, sliced thin against the grain. I've got a chipotle sour cream I whipped up quick, and good ole El Yucateca habanero hot sauce. Simple and delicious.

And while that is going on....... I came home from vacation to find a bumper crop of serranos, jalapenos, and habaneros, and heritage tomatoes that we're growing. Most of the harvest is peppers. Two bowls full. I'm making a habanero-mango chutney now, with a mango pineapple salsa to follow, and roasted tomato-jalapeno salsa in the queue. And I still won't use all that I've got right now.

Next on the list is pepper relishes. I'll do one batch for each variety I'm growing.

I have been wondering how your crop turned out this season. I was going to revive that old thread. No need, eh? No one in my town ended up with much in their gardens. So much rain that the farmers that depend on it planted half of what they would have. My sunflower plot did well but I have failed on the rest of my hard work. No fresh salsa for me this year.

Bought a new to me tequila, Camarena reposado. Middle of the shelf stuff. Not bad. A little light in flavor but smooth. Sort of a Makers Mark for tequila.

Drinking it right now with a muddled lime slice, a touch of agave syrup, and about 8oz of club soda, over a glass of ice. Very refreshing on a warm, muggy day.

That sounds awesome.

I baked a loaf of bread from scratch today. I've never done it before. It was very rewarding and quite tasty. It is something I endeavor to do often.

Baking bread is another of those demon removing activities. So simple, so rewarding, so cleansing.

Baking another loaf of bread today. Same recipe as last weekend. We found it tasted good but was much too dense. Left out half a cup of flour this time and used a little more milk which seems to have resulted in a much nicer dough. I am hoping the added moisture will lead to better rising and less dense final product. Will report back. 

Baking another loaf of bread today. Same recipe as last weekend. We found it tasted good but was much too dense. Left out half a cup of flour this time and used a little more milk which seems to have resulted in a much nicer dough. I am hoping the added moisture will lead to better rising and less dense final product. Will report back. 

Try overnight fermentations in the refrigerator with the original recipe too.  Long, slow ferments result in a different end product.

Additionally, handling after proofing is important.  Make your final shape.  Let it proof to twice original size, GENTLY get it to the oven.  You went through alot of trouble to make lots of bubbles inside.  You don't want to ruin all that good work.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.