All About Natural Disasters

He's not making sound judgements. How can you stand in front of the world and tell people that a race was more important than search and rescue? How can you provide power to a press tent over a hospital? He says the race won't divert resources, but hundreds of police officers are needed to block the roads. Can you think of something more important than road blocks they could be doing right now? He expended a lot of political capital on the race and was rebuked by both the Manhattan and Staten Island Burough Presidents.

I work with someone from SI, and I asked her if they should have the race, she kinda gave me the "eh" look. She didn't say yes, she didn't say no.

Even though those generators are capable of powering 40 homes, it doesn't mean that they ever would, and I don't know of the logistics, but I'm guessing that it's quicker to fix the power grid than to transport the generators and hook them up to the hospitals. It's not like you just drive them over, fire them up, and plug in a Carrot Top prop style outlet.

I work with someone from SI, and I asked her if they should have the race, she kinda gave me the "eh" look. She didn't say yes, she didn't say no.

Even though those generators are capable of powering 40 homes, it doesn't mean that they ever would, and I don't know of the logistics, but I'm guessing that it's quicker to fix the power grid than to transport the generators and hook them up to the hospitals. It's not like you just drive them over, fire them up, and plug in a Carrot Top prop style outlet.

I imagine every job is tougher than it first seems. Doesn't mean you shouldn't try. A generator in NYC is a valuable resource. Especially one that is sitting there as a backup.. Could they be used for a nursing home? Could they be used to power a gas station so gas could be pumped? I don't know, but I sure as heck know they have some purpose other than to keep the lights on in the press tent.

My town is scheduled to get power restored on Monday, by 11:59pm. I'm lucky enough to have a generator, have gas, and know how to backfeed my house so the heat works. I feed bad for those that don't because it's gettin' chilly. Found my neighbor sitting in his car reading a book. He was warming up. I told him I would set him up with heat but he said he wasn't that desperate,.. yet.

This past week made me realize why I've always found Buffalonians to be different than anyone I've met from anywhere else. We have these community effecting weather events every year (not as severe, obviously, but still a pain), and have to deal with them together. I've talked to my neighbors more this week than I have in the past two years.

This past week made me realize why I've always found Buffalonians to be different than anyone I've met from anywhere else. We have these community effecting weather events every year (not as severe, obviously, but still a pain), and have to deal with them together. I've talked to my neighbors more this week than I have in the past two years.

Very true.

When we got killed in Florida, I had to venture out at somepoint and found a pizzeria in Miami Beach that had generator power. I asked them how many pizzas they could get me in an hour of waiting, and then I handed them out to neighbors in my complex. It is amazing how good a warm meal tastes after a week, and how much a simple gesture of goodwill can bring people together. Buffalo for sure is a better place because of the crappy winters. You have to look out for each other. I was shocked how much the people in South Florida calmed down and fed off each other when it was really bad.

No. Just my smart-ass way to point out how, like with most of these types of stories, initial reports are often overly dramatic attention grabbers with an ulterior motive.

Crime is down for the 3rd straight day in NYC...

Nor'easter getting stronger... Per NWS, "THE GUIDANCE HAVE STRONGLY CONVERGED

ON A RATHER ROBUST CYCLONE HEADED UP THE EAST COAST MID-LATE WEEK"

"ESPECIALLY IN LIGHT OF THE PAST WEEK...

MAY BE AMPLIFIED. AT THE LEAST THERE IS A VERY REAL POSSIBILITY OF

HEAVY RAIN AND STRONG WINDS ALONG THE COAST FROM VIRGINIA TO MAINE

AS THE SYSTEM DEEPENS INTO THE 980S MB OFF THE COAST OF NEW

JERSEY. ENOUGH COLD AIR SHOULD BE IN PLACE OR DRAWN IN TO SUPPORT

SNOW THROUGH THE INTERIOR OF THE NORTHEAST THOUGH SOME ENSEMBLE

MEMBERS DO BRING SOME SNOW ALL THE WAY TO THE COAST AS FAR SOUTH

AS VIRGINIA. THESE DETAILS WILL BE FURTHER REFINED IN THE SHORTER

TERM FORECAST."

The Weather Channel is saying this Nor'easter (officially named Athena, the first winter storm naming of the season, and ever) is going to hit the coast pretty good with rain first, followed by heavy wet snow. Saying CNY is edge of area affected. Only expecting Flurries in the Ithaca area at best. :( I wanted snow.

Gotta send out a prayer for those down in NJ and NY and everywhere else though that was pounded by Sandy and now this. Hopefully everyone will have heat and power back ASAP!!

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

News on the radio this morning said Calgary's hockey arena has been flooded, with water up to the 10th row. Didn't say if it was the Saddledome.

Edit: Yep, it's the Saddledome. I wonder if this could put the joint out of commission for the coming season.

Edited by PASabreFan

Just wondering if any of our Western Canadian Sabres fans were affected by the flooding. Is this a rare occurrence? I've never heard of flooding there before.

I have family (we are not very *close* ... my family of origin and I do not see eye-to-eye on most things) in one of the most devastated areas of the city, right on the Elbow River (the smaller of the two main rivers). They were evacuated and when we spoke with a cousin who lives in another area of the city that is not affected by the flooding (who we are *closer* with) said our uncle (my father's brother) who is a bit of an odd ball, but in a loveable way, is *missing* ~ maybe not *officially missing*, but not accounted for by the family.

Flooding happens quite regularly in the Spring (mountain snow / ice melt runnoff swells the rivers), but not to this degree. It has been made worse by a crazy amount of rain in a very short time. The flooding is being made worse, IMO, by all the clear cutting of wooded land to build houses and by industry. So, maybe not as natural a disaster as some others.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

• 3 weeks later...