All About Natural Disasters

The building acoustics play a role yes, But a bunch of us went outside to help repair the board that tore loose and you are essentially alone.  the wind blew so hard that no matter how hard you yell it is a pimple on an elephant compared to the force the wind is generating. It is impacting on the air and the amplitude your ears hear is mindnumbing.  Something I will never forget. ymmv

:o

Sound really ratchets up the fear. The tornadoes I've heard were like you see described- a freight train, thumping along, but with an incredibly high pitched scream/whine. It's just all consuming. The sound is in you. 

Luckily, a tornado passes quickly. 3putt, holy crap. Hours of that would be tough to survive. 

Sound really ratchets up the fear. The tornadoes I've heard were like you see described- a freight train, thumping along, but with an incredibly high pitched scream/whine. It's just all consuming. The sound is in you. 

Luckily, a tornado passes quickly. 3putt, holy crap. Hours of that would be tough to survive. 

I and my girlfriend were the welcome refugees of the North Charleston Baptist church.  Mostly a minority congregation but they had room. When some found out I was from Buffalo they were sympathetic saying "honey its just a bit windy, its not like a blizzard, those are bad."  We didn't dare tell them how much worse a hurricane is.  And the sound grates.  Until it goes quiet.

I can't fathom it. I survived a tornado hit in a van when I was younger, and THAT was absurd, and that was NOWHERE near the same velocity. 

The sounds can be absolutely horrifying too: 

http://youtu.be/zMvu5EF13xA

oh i give up on embedding. tried with the s, tried without the s, tried 2 different links, screw it. 

Man, that's spooky. I remember when Wilma hit here, it was such an odd sensation with the strongest part of the eye hitting and no more than a few minutes later it all stopped. Everybody was outside surveying the damage for the 15 minutes we were in the eye. Then, back into the house for round two.

I and my girlfriend were the welcome refugees of the North Charleston Baptist church.  Mostly a minority congregation but they had room. When some found out I was from Buffalo they were sympathetic saying "honey its just a bit windy, its not like a blizzard, those are bad."  We didn't dare tell them how much worse a hurricane is.  And the sound grates.  Until it goes quiet.

Oh bless their hearts, that's adorable. 

When d4rk and I were in NOLA, there were ads everywhere for specially designed jewelry to commemorate the 10th anniversary of Katrina. I couldn't decide if it was a distasteful money grab on people's hearts or a legitimate way to express pride. Maybe a bit of column a and column b, depending on the person, I suppose. 

Have you guys seen this yet? Patricia from the ISS.

xyRaMXN.jpg

Oh bless their hearts, that's adorable. 

When d4rk and I were in NOLA, there were ads everywhere for specially designed jewelry to commemorate the 10th anniversary of Katrina. I couldn't decide if it was a distasteful money grab on people's hearts or a legitimate way to express pride. Maybe a bit of column a and column b, depending on the person, I suppose. 

Have you guys seen this yet? Patricia from the ISS.

xyRaMXN.jpg

Wow....just wow!  

The night Katrina hit I went to local blues club in Chicago that was holding a vigil. Musicians that were on the road started showing up, jazz guys, blues guys, you name it.  None could get back to NOLA.  We partied to daylight and when the first daylight photos came in the defiance turned to horror.  Remembering the hospitality extended to me I offered few of them my home, access to computers to track down their familiy and friends.  Three stayed with me for 3 weeks because they couldn't get back to the ninth ward.  They send me Xmas cards every year.

I think that patch of lights in the top right is the Texas Gulf Coast.  I live a coupla hundred miles beyond that.  After no rain in July, August, September and most of October, we've already gotten 5-6 inches yesterday and today; downtstate has already had flash flood emergencies declared.  If this moves up our way, it's not gonna be good.  And we're supposed to get another 4 inches tonight and tomorrow.

Edited by Robins Egg

Wow....just wow!  

The night Katrina hit I went to local blues club in Chicago that was holding a vigil. Musicians that were on the road started showing up, jazz guys, blues guys, you name it.  None could get back to NOLA.  We partied to daylight and when the first daylight photos came in the defiance turned to horror.  Remembering the hospitality extended to me I offered few of them my home, access to computers to track down their familiy and friends.  Three stayed with me for 3 weeks because they couldn't get back to the ninth ward.  They send me Xmas cards every year.

Outstanding! This is what makes the world go 'round. 

We really are our brothers' keepers. 

Are you right in DFW? I'm going down there for a composites trade show and to visit customers all next week.  I fly in during the Bills game  :censored:  Going to need to pay for wifi on the plane, and then find somewhere to hide in the airport to catch the end of the game.  Any advice on bars to go to to catch later games with a coworker or two? 

You're going to CAMX?  That's in Dallas, which is like 50 miles from me, sorry, I can't recommend anything in terms of bars.  There's supposed to be rain Saturday night into Sunday but I don't think it will be anything to worry about; you may be a little delayed but shouldn't be too bad.  We've had about 5 inches of rain in the last day or so (after virtually nothing since June).  It will probably be pretty darn soggy around here by Sunday.  I'm not sure if Patricia will come by here.  After Sunday the forecast says no more rain until the weekend.

Wow....just wow!  

Your stories are awesome. Just goes to show that some harrowing times can yield some wonderful things.

Storm downgraded to a Cat 1 as it continues inland. Less destruction than expected. Really, really, lucky. 

My friend has my dream job- he travels around filming beautiful vintage cars and racing and what not.. Well, they've been in Mexico for a few weeks and he snapped this one as he fled east- Keep in mind he was a pretty good distance from the storm and it still looked apocalyptic! 

A67UcVJ.jpg

Your stories are awesome. Just goes to show that some harrowing times can yield some wonderful things.

Storm downgraded to a Cat 1 as it continues inland. Less destruction than expected. Really, really, lucky.

My friend has my dream job- he travels around filming beautiful vintage cars and racing and what not.. Well, they've been in Mexico for a few weeks and he snapped this one as he fled east- Keep in mind he was a pretty good distance from the storm and it still looked apocalyptic!

A67UcVJ.jpg

Wow. It's like the black death version of last year's snow storm around here.

Looks like Patricia turned out to be more like Hurricane Charley than Typhoon Haiyan. It fizzled just as quickly as it strengthened, and since it didn't build up strength over time it didn't have the energy of a typical cat.5 storm. Peak winds were impressive, but barely extended out from the center. Since it didn't strengthen until the last second, storm surge wasn't bad. Charley strengthened quickly but was very compact and short lived. Haiyan was huge and had plenty of time to build up energy.

A67UcVJ.jpg

Great photo thanks for sharing. Again great evidence of just how insignificant we are in the natural world.

All natural disasters are terrible. Hurricane Katrina was devastating. Countless places considered to be flood safe were flooded. My parents lived in one those areas and they had 3 feet water in their house. Entire gulf coast and them some were devastated. It has now been 10 years and the area is still recovering to a certain extent. There has been so much change. Some for the good. And some for the worse. Feel for anyone that has an experience like this.

That was man made.

honest question. those noises are a combined effect of the storm and the building (and maybe other structures), yes?

I'm pretty sure the answer is yes.  What I think is happening is the low pressure outside is pulling at the air inside.  Some of the air is exiting the house through the door which is acting kind of like a giant clarinet reed, creating the noise.  The front door of the house we grew up in did that if the winds got above maybe 50 mph.  It was a different tone but the quality of the sound is very similar.

• 3 weeks later...

Damn,  that's a nasty line coming through. 

Well it's not six feet of snow or anything....  :rolleyes:

I've probably just jinxed at and it will spawn one tornado that will take our roof off. 

The storm is still hours off and the winds are blowing, probably about 30 mph.  This should be fun. :w00t:

Well I went to sleep and awoke to the chirping of my house alarm when the power goes out, followed shortly after by the Emergency Alert System tone on my phone. The tornado warning is for the north end of my county (I'm in the south). The power just came back on. The storm is really blowin'.

EDIT:  In the time it took to type the previous post on my phone it went from light rain to flooded street.... This is some gully washer!

Edited by The Big Johnson