All About Natural Disasters

I've been watching a lot of the flood coverage today. I'm amazed that eight years later, looking at all the videos, I can still smell that smell of walking through my front door for the first time afterward. There is a very distinct odor to you're entire house soaking in flood water for days.

Another thing I'm struck by is how much crap Americans have and it makes me want to get rid of a lot of stuff.

I feel the same way.  His posts as Yuri and Anna were like poetry.  Very nice.

It seems unlikely, as his most recent version *I am Defecting* was banned, along with Yuri and Marcelus and Anna and any other name Yuri went by.

He PMed me to tell me he was planning one last rampage that he felt would be the end and he would likely be banned after many warnings, which in fact was the case, as confirmed by chz.

Not to derail ths thead, but what exactly did Yuri do to warrant a ban? I thought his posts were great entertainment.

He told me he was warned for starting way too many off topic tangent style threads and then he created one last one and that was that.

Chz also mentioned that he maintained 3 user accounts in order to fill the board with posts that were part of an agenda.

And, no natural disasters to report in NS.

• 3 weeks later...

Posted in awesome thread, forgot this thread existed.

Check out this map. It's a neat map. regardless. 

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/1000hPa/overlay=wind_power_density/orthographic=-97.47,27.40,1500

Strongest sustained winds on record, anywhere in the world. 200 mph. Supposed to make landfall fairly soon. It just kind of exploded overnight- not a lot of warning to those in its path. 

Josie, that wind map over Patricia scares the absolute ###### out of me. Yikes

Right? 

I have a smaller wind map I check all the time when crazy weather bumbles across the US, but my geologist friend showed me that one today and half the office has been distracted by it since. 

You can click around and see ocean currents and other features as well. I love this stuff. Patricia and the other storm to the west of it near Hawaii is just a damn whirlpool. Amazing how much it affects around it. 

It is, Johnny.

It is.  :devil:

It looks like it might sweep right over me here in Texas in a few days.

Are you right in DFW? I'm going down there for a composites trade show and to visit customers all next week.  I fly in during the Bills game  :censored:  Going to need to pay for wifi on the plane, and then find somewhere to hide in the airport to catch the end of the game.  Any advice on bars to go to to catch later games with a coworker or two? 

The thing about a storm like this ... you can't help but be awe-struck by its power (and magnificence?), but then, all of a sudden, you'll snap out of it and realize that the thing might kill 1000s of people. 

There's a reason people talk about the fascination with stuff like this by using pr0n as a metaphor.

(Just saw Josie's post in the Awesome thread.)

Wow, that's awesome. And I mean that in the completely terrifying sense of the word.

I can't fathom it. I survived a tornado hit in a van when I was younger, and THAT was absurd, and that was NOWHERE near the same velocity. 

The sounds can be absolutely horrifying too: 

http://youtu.be/zMvu5EF13xA

oh i give up on embedding. tried with the s, tried without the s, tried 2 different links, screw it. 

Edited by Josie914

I can't fathom it. I survived a tornado hit in a van when I was younger, and THAT was absurd, and that was NOWHERE near the same velocity. 

oh i give up on embedding. tried with the s, tried without the s, tried 2 different links, screw it. 

I was in South Carolina when Hugo came ashore.  A couple windows in the shelter failed and had to be boarded over again.  The thing that stuck with me all these years was the sound of those winds and the thought of being pinned by them against an immovable object.  The sound is other worldly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMvu5EF13xA

honest question. those noises are a combined effect of the storm and the building (and maybe other structures), yes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMvu5EF13xA

honest question. those noises are a combined effect of the storm and the building (and maybe other structures), yes?

The building acoustics play a role yes, But a bunch of us went outside to help repair the board that tore loose and you are essentially alone.  the wind blew so hard that no matter how hard you yell it is a pimple on an elephant compared to the force the wind is generating. It is impacting on the air and the amplitude your ears hear is mindnumbing.  Something I will never forget. ymmv