All About Natural Disasters

I've experienced blizzards, hurricanes, tornadoes, and earthquakes.    Earthquakes are by far the most frightening... just the suddenness and no where to hide from it.    Without warning the ground beneath your feet is rolling and everything is shaking, you don't know if or when it will stop.  The world as you know it seems to be disintegrating before your eyes.  

I've been near tornadoes, but not in the direct path, in those cases I would imagine it would be just as terrifying as an earthquake if you can't get away from it.    

Was stuck in the direct path of a hurricane and while not as terrifying, the duration of the event was most troubling.     The eye passed over, then wind starts up again in the opposite direction snapping everything in half as everything is bent back the other way.   It lasted about 10 hours.  Destroyed the windshield on my car, all the shelters were full, was on vacation camping.   Tent was gone, only shredded pieces of it left with some camping boxes inside holding it down.   Spent the entire day in my car.    Parked near a beach as anywhere else had too much debris flying around.    The wind literally pushed the car across the parking lot while it was parked.    Was in my early 20's so I didn't feel like my life was in danger.    If that happened now, I'd myself.

• 2 weeks later...

Was stuck in the direct path of a hurricane and while not as terrifying, the duration of the event was most troubling. The eye passed over, then wind starts up again in the opposite direction snapping everything in half as everything is bent back the other way. It lasted about 10 hours. Destroyed the windshield on my car, all the shelters were full, was on vacation camping. Tent was gone, only shredded pieces of it left with some camping boxes inside holding it down. Spent the entire day in my car. Parked near a beach as anywhere else had too much debris flying around. The wind literally pushed the car across the parking lot while it was parked. Was in my early 20's so I didn't feel like my life was in danger. If that happened now, I'd ###### myself.

this is awesome! I've never experienced a hurricane.

• 4 weeks later...

Here we go again.  It's nearly 80 degrees here in Fort Worth, they're getting snow in Amarillo, 300 miles west.  Depending on how things break, we expect 3-10 inches of rain this weekend.  It hasn't started raining here yet, but the wind is kicking up and there have already been two different tornadoes spotted in the region.  I like the rain, just not so much at once, and not with the windies.

Oh, and the people further east don't want any more rain for a while; the Lake Lewisville dam is at risk of failure, which would affect over 400,000 people through and beyond Dalls.

Edited by The Big Johnson

Not close to us.

Quotes from DFW Scanner Facebook page:

7:17pm - Reports of people trapped in damage and major gas leaks in Rowlett. Multiple injuries. Its bad.

7:19pm - Rowlett has contacted surrounding cities for "as much help as we can get."

7:19pm - Major multiple car pileup on I30. Multiple people trapped. Public safety reports severe injuries.

We've got a tornado watch (it's been on all day) and a flash flood warning.  Interestingly, we've had just a splash of rain... but heavy stuff out west is moving this way.

7:23pm - Reports of a fatality accident on I30 and Broadway, multiple victims reported.

7:33pm - Dozens of damaged structures and dozens of injuries in Rowlett, Sunnyvale, and Garland areas. This is a bad situation.

7:37pm - People need to avoid the cities of Rowlett, Garland, and Sunnyvale due to significant tornado damage.

If you're interested you can hear Sachse and Rowlett Police and Fire here.

Edited by The Big Johnson

9:50pm - We do not have a total number of people injured or fatalities at this time, but its safe to say there are numerous. Trailer park destroyed. Major gas leaks. People trapped inside destroyed homes. Its quite a scene over there. And that is just one of the impact zones.

Incredible picture of the destruction in Rowlett from last night's tornado. The water tower pictured is on Martha Lane in Rowlett. Also pictured are significantly damaged or destroyed houses on Pebble Beach Drive, Mariner Drive, and Ebb Tide Drive. (Picture: G.J. McCarthy/Dallas Morning News)

12342816_1068510759836452_91342102928349

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Incredible picture of the destruction in Rowlett from last night's tornado. The water tower pictured is on Martha Lane in Rowlett. Also pictured are significantly damaged or destroyed houses on Pebble Beach Drive, Mariner Drive, and Ebb Tide Drive. (Picture: G.J. McCarthy/Dallas Morning News)

12342816_1068510759836452_91342102928349

So on our way from from Buffalo we ran into traffic just east of Dallas and had to backtrack to get around it.  We ended up driving through that neighborhood.  Surreal.

And closer to home, we had about 15 minutes of heavy hail this evening.  Crazy.