All About Natural Disasters

What F'n a-hole filmed that?

Woodbine racetrack is under water.....cars floating, horses stuck in stalls, disaster area.

I've never seen something like that before. Imagine the pressure to move a sewer cover.

The person is standing 8 feet away from a live cannon that is about to fire in who knows what direction. I'm guessing it wasn't IKnowPhysics doing the filming.

I had the same thought as I watched that clip. Where's that going when it goes ?

I had the same thought as I watched that clip. Where's that going when it goes ?

It's venting pressure, so probably not that far, and straight-ish up if it does. Mostly likely it ends up on edge releasing all the pressure, or just barely off to the side.

Ok, were you doing the filming yesterday? :)

Oh well....crazy rains either way.

I wouldn't have been standing that close, but I would have watched it. I'm a sucker for experiencing things most people aren't likely to.

• 4 months later...

Absolutely horrible. Another absolutely massive storm, a "once in a lifetime" type event, but yet there's no global warming, it's just weather patterns, it'll change again in a few years etc etc. Sigh.

I'll be looking for a way to donate. A small, lucky change of plans had me out of the way of the tsunami in Phuket, Thailand years ago. It was haunting to see the videos of the hotel we would have been at get swept away. I guess it helped me realize the magnitude of despair that natural disasters like these can bring. Being that it's not North American soil, I'm afraid it will be overlooked as the tragedy has not struck "home". Any little bit may help.

MVtx5cL.jpgFor perspective- Katrina at its greatest intensity on the right. The Red Cross posted a photo of the storm over the entire US- turned out to be wrong. There are other photos where the Philippines are shown on the US map and the storm superimposed over it. Pretty chilling stuff. I donated to a couple different organizations today. There's a lot of them out there.

Josie, is this one of the other ones you're talking about? Unbelievable. What is incredible is the fact that they usually tend to get smaller, the stronger they get. So for it to be that big AND that strong is unreal.

BY0URngIUAEOvuA.jpg

Yeah, that's the one. Apparently it's incorrect and Red Cross took it down- there's an apology on their site now. When I first saw it I was just totally stunned. The photo I previously posted comparing this one to Katrina- you're right about strength when smaller- that wasn't katrina's full size, but how it looked at full strength. Tighter circumference = less power lost over land/water/distance, faster winds. Hurricanes are fascinating, horrible storms.

Here's a comp someone did of the continental US, the Philippines for size and the satellite image of the storm. Scary no matter what size, really, especially with the hell it has wrought.

l96jsli.jpg

Yeah, that's the one. Apparently it's incorrect and Red Cross took it down- there's an apology on their site now. When I first saw it I was just totally stunned. The photo I previously posted comparing this one to Katrina- you're right about strength when smaller- that wasn't katrina's full size, but how it looked at full strength. Tighter circumference = less power lost over land/water/distance, faster winds. Hurricanes are fascinating, horrible storms.

Here's a comp someone did of the continental US, the Philippines for size and the satellite image of the storm. Scary no matter what size, really, especially with the hell it has wrought.

l96jsli.jpg

Thanks, I didn't think that looked right.

How?

90% of the Republican vote is wiped out under the typhoon, and 90% of the Democrat is spared.

Florida panhandle....gone!

Miami. Lauderdale, Palm Beach....clear!

Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, Kentucky...gone!

Missouri...gone....EXCEPT! St Louis!.....

Southern Illinois...covered....Chicago?..Clear!

Texas and flyover country.....gone...

The entire west coast?....clear!

NY...DC...Boston....clear!

I'm surprised they allowed Idaho to make it. Hmnnnnnn......someone like potatoes.......

90% of the Republican vote is wiped out under the typhoon, and 90% of the Democrat is spared.

Florida panhandle....gone!

Miami. Lauderdale, Palm Beach....clear!

Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, Kentucky...gone!

Missouri...gone....EXCEPT! St Louis!.....

Southern Illinois...covered....Chicago?..Clear!

Texas and flyover country.....gone...

The entire west coast?....clear!

NY...DC...Boston....clear!

I'm surprised they allowed Idaho to make it. Hmnnnnnn......someone like potatoes.......

And just like that, our health care costs get under control.

Edited by SwampD

• 6 months later...

Bump ...

A large area of Bosnia and Serbia is underwater.

Worst flooding ever.

We know many people in the affected areas. Those poor people. Many still putting their lives back together after the war and now this.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/05/20/world/europe/balkans-flooding-explainer/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

I'm sorry to hear that, NS, but, I guess that climate change is a Thing now. In the Buffalo area, we are getting more heavy rains per year. Our dreams that climate change would benefit Buffalo took a hard knock this past winter when the "Lazy Jet Stream" actually brought Arctic Air further South. In the irony of all ironies, we got colder and snowier, had 2 blizzards, yet the icecaps are melting still faster.

What do all fossil fuels have in common? Oil, Coal, and Gas are all produced by living stuff that died. Someone realized that they could bring all this dead matter to the surface and burn it for energy, and they could trade the energy for money.

I wrote a song, I made a basket, I dug a ditch, and in some small way, through my actions, I made the surface of the world a better place. I did these deeds myself, and these deeds were valued. People payed money for them. If I become good at my craft, and consistent, then I used to become wealthy.

Or, I signed papers, giving me the right to extract the death matter from 419 million years ago. It was a good investment, so banks lent me money, and I could afford to buy anyone that I wanted. Banks, and Lawyers, and Engineers, and Scientists, are my employees. I own a hockey team too.

But I'm the ditch digger, and the ###### shoveler. What can I do? In my small way, I feel that I have stormed the castle of the robber baron. I may have changed some peoples opinions, I may have charmed some people, but the closest that I have felt to success was when Ted Black vaguely mentioned a "future owner" last year. There is some prose that I can print, and some praise that I appreciate, but I haven't really had success.

I went to the lake today with my son. Just months ago, he could barely walk, and now he can run. His favorite thing, which he asks for when he sees the lake, is to throw rocks into the water. "Wawa, wawa," he says, "wawa, ploop," and he motions to throw. He loves to throw rocks in the water, but the action is valueless, yet if he were to throw an Olivine gravel stone in the lake, it would negate its own weight in Greenhouse Gas over his lifetime. And Olivine is the most abundant element in the mantle of the earth. And it's hardly valuable, certainly less so than death matter. "You are doing it right, son." Nobody is paying attention to Gowanda, or Bosnia, or Serbia, or to the fires out West.

I don't know if things are different now, but when Terry became the owner, a strong stance against fracking in NYS was enough to get your computer hacked, your family shook up and more, by whomever it concerned. I think that you are all familiar with Edward Snowden, Back then, it was called psychological operations by the oil and gas industry, and back then the government was very compliant to the industries wants and needs. I was an Eco-Terrorist by my message board posts alone.

I might have been a casualty of that war, but I might have just got pissed off. We'll see. Pegula is still an hero, right?

Go Sabres, all the same. Here's what we can do to save the planet, without hurting P-Diddler's bottom line. Just take all of your foodscraps, and compost them. It's a chore to do it yourself, but some people find it worth the good soil that is the end result. But I suggest that you find some local company or farmer to do the composting for you. Don't feel bad if they're not knocking on your door yet, but be gracious when they do, because they'll probably smell ######.

"The EPA estimates that there are approximately six thousand landfills in the United States. Most of these landfills are composed of municipal waste, and, therefore, produce methane. These landfills are the largest source of anthropogenic methane emissions in the United States. These landfills will contribute an estimated four hundred and fifty to six hundred and fifty billion cubic feet of methane per year (in 2000)."

A well managed compost pile negates the majority of these methane emissions. 30% of the material that ends up in landfills could be composted, so that's worth some energy. I am asking you, when the time comes, be willing to spend $5 per month for someone to turn this food waste into soil, and save you the greenhouse gas, because it's a small step, but worth it.

I don't know if things are different now, but when Terry became the owner, a strong stance against fracking in NYS was enough to get your computer hacked, your family shook up and more, by whomever it concerned.

That's a pretty strong statement. Got anything to back it up? Because I know tons of anti-fracking people, and none have complained about this.

NS, I hope your friends/family are ok.