All About Natural Disasters

Wow.. Maryland is shutting down the state already and the storm is still 26 hours away.

Just a few minutes ago, I saw some leaves, and they were over there,... then,.. they blew over there. Crazy...

Edited by SwampD

Sandy is on here in MD. Looks like she has passed the mouth of the Chesapeake before turning left. Still hours away from really feeling it and already have rain falling an inch per hour. Lights are still on and the sump pump is working. Wish I had a generator.

Sandy is on here in MD. Looks like she has passed the mouth of the Chesapeake before turning left. Still hours away from really feeling it and already have rain falling an inch per hour. Lights are still on and the sump pump is working. Wish I had a generator.

Good luck man.

Crossing my fingers for you and everyone else down in the thick of it. May your sump pump run strong, your power stay on, and the water have somewhere to go.

We're in the shiznit now as well, and the storm is still almost 300 miles away. My only real concern is a tree or limb hitting the house. That, and telling work there is no way in hell I'm coming in.

We're in the shiznit now as well, and the storm is still almost 300 miles away. My only real concern is a tree or limb hitting the house. That, and telling work there is no way in hell I'm coming in.

I see you're up in north Jersey. I lived in North Jersey for 10 years. Flooding is always a big concern in that area.

Yeah, NJ is going to take a beating. My father grew up in Philly. So as long as I can remember, we've been going to the "Shore". I really fear for Ocean City, NJ and the local communities which is close to a third home to me as far as I'm concerned. I really worry for the beauty of the Jersey shore.

This is blowing up bigtime now and stronger than projected. This is what I feared back last Wednesday when I first mentioned the storm. People would laugh it off, and at the last second you would have mass panic.

While the winds are now 90MPH, the pressure is 943MB as reported, and a flight just picked up 940MB. That is a category 3, pushing on 4 pressure level. Instead of having 125MPH winds that could be expected in this pressure area, all that energy is being distributed over a huge area. Hurricane winds going out 180 miles from the center and tropical storm winds almost 500 miles. That's just amazing. The hurricane is now only 9 ticks away from being one of the top 10 to hit the US all time, and already is strongest ever in the north atlantic.

The other big thing is that this will slam on the brakes once it hits land. It will still be a tropical storm on Wednesday afternoon as the center of circulation comes into west/central NY, and will still be on the NY/VT border on FRIDAY!

For Buffalo folks, I still wouldn't expect armageddon, but now you may see projected gusts and rain creep higher to the levels that some of the models were projecting a few days ago. I wouldn't be surprised to see school closed Tuesday and even Wednesday. The fact that this is strengthening and has the chance to really bottom out still over the next 12 hours is going to put a lot of pressure on the politicos who were slow on the draw to recognize just what this thing was capable of. Bloomberg looks like a fool for his Friday press conference......I've never seen anything like it. Cuomo went over his head....good for him.

Everyone be safe, especially closer to sea. It shouldn't be a disaster in terms of lives hopefully....just damage, longevity, and inconveinence.

That's an old Irish prayer, isn't it?

If it were Irish, it'd be shorter.....

This is blowing up bigtime now and stronger than projected. This is what I feared back last Wednesday when I first mentioned the storm. People would laugh it off, and at the last second you would have mass panic.

While the winds are now 90MPH, the pressure is 943MB as reported, and a flight just picked up 940MB. That is a category 3, pushing on 4 pressure level. Instead of having 125MPH winds that could be expected in this pressure area, all that energy is being distributed over a huge area. Hurricane winds going out 180 miles from the center and tropical storm winds almost 500 miles. That's just amazing. The hurricane is now only 9 ticks away from being one of the top 10 to hit the US all time, and already is strongest ever in the north atlantic.

The other big thing is that this will slam on the brakes once it hits land. It will still be a tropical storm on Wednesday afternoon as the center of circulation comes into west/central NY, and will still be on the NY/VT border on FRIDAY!

For Buffalo folks, I still wouldn't expect armageddon, but now you may see projected gusts and rain creep higher to the levels that some of the models were projecting a few days ago. I wouldn't be surprised to see school closed Tuesday and even Wednesday. The fact that this is strengthening and has the chance to really bottom out still over the next 12 hours is going to put a lot of pressure on the politicos who were slow on the draw to recognize just what this thing was capable of. Bloomberg looks like a fool for his Friday press conference......I've never seen anything like it. Cuomo went over his head....good for him.

Everyone be safe, especially closer to sea. It shouldn't be a disaster in terms of lives hopefully....just damage, longevity, and inconveinence.

The NWS hasn't said it yet, but the Baltimore crew is showing the eye wall is reforming indicating that it is indeed strengthening.

Weather folks are all geeked up in this region. We have blizzard warnings in Western MD, flooding potentially in all counties and significant rain totals everywhere. Landfall this afternoon in Southern Jersey. It's not hitting us direct, but it's damn close.

Edited by wjag

I see you're up in north Jersey. I lived in North Jersey for 10 years. Flooding is always a big concern in that area.

Yeah, NJ is going to take a beating. My father grew up in Philly. So as long as I can remember, we've been going to the "Shore". I really fear for Ocean City, NJ and the local communities which is close to a third home to me as far as I'm concerned. I really worry for the beauty of the Jersey shore.

God is sending a storm to get the snooki

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NJxuqLcd9k

anyways, Everyone back in NY and elsewhere the storm will hit take care and be safe!

The NWS hasn't said it yet, but the Baltimore crew is showing the eye wall is reforming indicating that it is indeed strengthening.

Weather folks are all geeked up in this region. We have blizzard warnings in Western MD, flooding potentially in all counties and significant rain totals everywhere. Landfall this afternoon in Southern Jersey. It's not hitting us direct, but it's damn close.

People getting pounded everywhere. Atlantic City is already underwater and the boardwalk breaking. Just goofy.

This was expected to merge into more of a nor'easter by now, but it is all tropical in the ocean. That is why it is strengthening so much right now. They just picked up 937 pressure and a 130 MPH gust at a buoy near the center.

The biggest fail in my opinion is that the NWS/NHC never issued hurricane warnings because they were assuming a post-tropic transition to the storm. You saw how even people here were like "no big deal, high wind warning...." I think people would have taken this much more seriously if you called it what it is and had hurricane warnings issued from MD to Mass.....and even Tropical Storm warnings for Buffalo. They are projecting 25+ foot waves in Cleveland for cryin out loud. They got all book-smart on people.....and not only didn't they use common sense, but they are WRONG as it will be tropical at landfall.

Again, hope it isn't a lifeloser, but the stronger this gets....the less leeway people have to ride it out without issues.

To everyone in harms way ...

Good luck and stay safe.

The best advice we received was from a good friends 5 year old daughter, just as we lost power and phone for 10 days, as Hurricane Juan came ashore ...

"duck, duck, Hurricane"!!

EDIT: Below is a link to information and photos concerning Hurricane Juan, for anyone interested.

http://www.ec.gc.ca/ouragans-hurricanes/default.asp?lang=En&n=F0E43FF7-1

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

Fully charged cell phone with links to WBEN and National grid...check

access to nice neighbors generator.... check

firewood.... check

charging the solar lights.... check

gas in car, money in pocket... check

beer.... check

At least it's something to take my mind off the lockout.

Let's do this.

Fully charged cell phone with links to WBEN and National grid...check

access to nice neighbors generator.... check

firewood.... check

charging the solar lights.... check

gas in car, money in pocket... check

beer.... check

At least it's something to take my mind off the lockout.

Let's do this.

Somehow I saw tequila, margarita mix, salt, and limes having a higher priority on your list. ;)

Checking in from Brooklyn.

Wind is picking up, misty rain is getting more steady.

During The lead-up to this storm, people seemed to be less active than the prep period for Irene, but now that it is closer, it's fair to say that people are heeding warnings. Streets are quieter than I expected them to be. It's spooky to see the train stations cordoned off and

Pizza parlors and bodegas with their doors shuttered.

Personally I have supplies all ready to go ( featuring 6 gallons of freshly brewed hard cider).

Getting ready to indulge in Boardwalk Empire from the beginning (never seen it)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.