All About Natural Disasters

Panic make the world go round. Why else do you think that Romney might actually get elected. :devil:

As to the storm, I think Ghost is right. The difference with this storm is the time frame. When my house flooded in '07, it was a nor'easter that just hit at the right time: high tide in April and then it moved on hours later. I think flooding and soaking rain w/ wind will be the big issues with this one. Winds will be stacking up water through an estimated FOUR high tides. Coastal flooding will be huge in the tri-state area. I don't even want to think about the people that we sold our old house to (even though our disclosure was completely honest). And as the ground gets soaked over days, the winds will be hitting the trees, most still with their leaves. I'm planning on several days without power.

I still think it's fun.

you guys nearer to the coast are in for some ######. Yet another benefit to WNY.

you guys nearer to the coast are in for some ######. Yet another benefit to WNY.

There are a lot of old trees here. A rat farts one town over and a tree limb falls and we lose power. Give me a blizzard any day. I can't wait until I can move back.

Im just worried about flying back to buffalo on Monday afternoon. Im not a huge fan of flying. Anyone here know anything about flights from Florida Monday 3-6pm. I don't follow the weather news as in depth as others here have posted.

Gonna be a bumpy ride methinks.

Im just worried about flying back to buffalo on Monday afternoon. Im not a huge fan of flying. Anyone here know anything about flights from Florida Monday 3-6pm. I don't follow the weather news as in depth as others here have posted.

The problem won't be either locale...it's where the plane is coming from or connecting through.

My guess is Monday/Tues/Wednesday, you are a coinflip for a world of hurt in east coast air travel. Then the hotels book up and you are sleeping on the shoulder of a tourist from Wisconsin.

so, no link then?

An hour ago NWS put up their 1st watches for WNY. Prediction for 60 mph gusts are limited to lake shores, Niagara Escarpment, and the Chautauqua plain. Very significant if that's your locale but the rest of us are looking at a bit less. Certainly not insignificant by any means, especially since the wind is coming from a direction that area tree roots aren't grown to support.

Still looking at 2-4" more rain. But the water table is just now hitting normal after a low year. Flooding is expected to be minor unless you live on the Lake Ontario shoreline. 20' waves possible there. :o

Sounds to me like the rain will be more nuisance than concern. Wind damage will be hard to predict but if you set yourself up to be OK after the October Surprise storm I see no reason why you'd be overly worried about what comes Monday afternoon.

http://forums.accuweather.com/index.php?showtopic=30127

There are plenty of links referenced here.....and a good discussion.

People are willing to spend the time to teach you there if you have the time and ability to learn.

Edited by Ghost of Dwight Drane

The problem won't be either locale...it's where the plane is coming from or connecting through.

My guess is Monday/Tues/Wednesday, you are a coinflip for a world of hurt in east coast air travel. Then the hotels book up and you are sleeping on the shoulder of a tourist from Wisconsin.

As long as that tourist is a twenty something year old, easily persuaded female, then there will be no problem there. As for the flight its a straight shot from ft Lauderdale to buffalo 330-630 p.m monday.

As long as that tourist is a twenty something year old, easily persuaded female, then there will be no problem there. As for the flight its a straight shot from ft Lauderdale to buffalo 330-630 p.m monday.

Assuming that is JetBlue?

Looked at flight today.....Buf to FLL lands at 1, but at diferent gate than the 3 oclock that departs to Buffalo. That tells me the plane that makes up the FLL to Buf flight isn't coming from Buffalo, but probably JFK or maybe Boston. That means prepare for probable issues as that plane probably never makes it to FLL on Monday. If they are smart, maybe they just turn around the Buffalo flight for you tomorrow, or the winds won't be bad enough yet to cancel out of JFK. I have found however that while Jetblue is great to fly if everything goes smoothly, when something goes haywire, they don't think on the fly very well so to speak.

Bookmarked.

That's probably the best conglomerative site out there. Lots of pro meteoroligists with direct access to universities and models. Plenty of hobbyists and lurkers as well.

I lived in Miami for a decade, so I learned the lay of the land when following a lot of this stuff. I always thought going through a hurricane would be fun, but it was a pretty scary deal, and the aftermath is miserable when nothing works and everything is in minor chaos for a week or two.

Western NY isn't in danger, but I can't remember a time where we had a solid 2 days straight of 30-40MPH winds and giant gusts. Maybe the Blizzard of '77 for those around? That's the biggest problem. Like in boxing, you can do more damage with jab...jab...jab all day sometimes as opposed to swinging for the fences. If Sandy really gets going right before landfall, you don't know who gets what, for how long, and how severe. I agree with you guys that say be prepared on a regular basis.....but most people aren't.

Interesting few days at least.

Oh....and a sidenote to WW44......should you expect a record amount of slightly early births this week? The barometric pressure is expected to record the lowest in history for this thing as it hits land. I figure there will be plenty of babies trying to bust out.

I know my blood pressure medicine works like a charm with an approaching storm. I'm peeing like I am at a keg party sometimes.

I really don't mean to offend anybody, but this culture of panic we have is ridiculous. Every little storm people freak out and stock up. Having worked at Wegmans for 12 years, I know for a fact we absolutely CRUSH projections when bad weather is predicted....and by bad, I mean as mild as prediction of 2-4" of snowfall. It's one thing to stock up and be fully prepared if you're going to be directly hit by a hurricane....it's another to freak out over a few inches of rain and high winds or a few inches of snow in an area that gets it all the time. Along the Eastern coastline? I get it. In Buffalo? Sorry, but no, this isn't the rapture, or even the Blizzard of '77. And yes, some of this rant is brought to you by the fact I just worked a nightmare day stocking enough bottled water to survive Hurricane Andrew.

I agree. Along with it's liilte brother the 'scare tactic'. I'm not hoping this storm causes as much havoc as they say..... but if it doesn't people are going to start not taking the media seriously any more and eventually it will backfire. Their reputations rely on the severity of this storm..... not that our MSM had much of one left to begin with haha.

Assuming that is JetBlue?

Looked at flight today.....Buf to FLL lands at 1, but at diferent gate than the 3 oclock that departs to Buffalo. That tells me the plane that makes up the FLL to Buf flight isn't coming from Buffalo, but probably JFK or maybe Boston. That means prepare for probable issues as that plane probably never makes it to FLL on Monday. If they are smart, maybe they just turn around the Buffalo flight for you tomorrow, or the winds won't be bad enough yet to cancel out of JFK. I have found however that while Jetblue is great to fly if everything goes smoothly, when something goes haywire, they don't think on the fly very well so to speak.

Yes, its jet blue, right now its telling me its on time, but how quickly things can change in 24 hrs. Thanks for the information GoDD.

The only thing I am concerned about is, every street in my neighborhood has piles of leaves at curbside blocking storm sewers. Our sewers barely handle big thuinderstorms. I cannot beleive that the town didn't have crews working overtime this weekend to ensure that storm sewers are clear. Street flooding will be a problem here.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.