All About Natural Disasters

Yuri,

Spot on about climate change, as for the rest I'm not sure.

=====

All are safe, so far as we know, but not well. Many have lost everything, again.

Thank you both for your kind words and concern.

I am sorry for your people. Hopefully the suffering ends and they can rebuild. My thoughts are with them.

It's twister season. I'm on edge and probably driving d4rk nuts. I know it doesn't happen here in NY but I get texts nearly daily from my dad, mum and sis about tornado warnings and such where they are (chicago, toledo, columbus). It seem the storms get stronger/more plentiful every year. We've had too many close calls in the last couple years. Last thanksgiving I drove past a place 5 minutes from my home that had been carved through. A couple years before that, we made national news with part of Lake Township getting wiped off the map. My sister was home and heard it go over. Ripped off some shingles/took out a small tree, but we got lucky.

Of course, I'd rather be getting my butt all puckered about close calls and forecasts than telling y'all on a complaint thursday that I'm headed out to assist in cleanup efforts.

That's a pretty strong statement. Got anything to back it up? Because I know tons of anti-fracking people, and none have complained about this.

NS, I hope your friends/family are ok.

Before I get all worked up and quote happy, what sort of back-up are you looking for?

There's some stuff about 'psyops fracking,' and 'fbi fracking' on the internet.

Do you want to defend this company?

"WELLSBORO, Pa. -- A firm called East Resources Inc. was among the first to drill into the Marcellus Shale, a rock layer found to be rich in natural gas. As the small wildcatter drilled, starting in 2008, regulators repeatedly cited it for spills or other environmental infractions, almost two for every shale well it drilled."

http://online.wsj.co...346741120261384

Your hero?.

Edited by Yuri Olesha

• 11 months later...

Actually it's the other way around.  The Himalaya was created by two tectonic plates colliding.  If anything, new mountains are forming.

after the last earthquake, mount everest is actually one inch shorter than it was before. that region is due for some major quakes, as neuvichs pointed out. two plates banging into each other ... there's gonna be some new formations.

what terrifies me is the yellowstone caldera that blows every 600,000 years. the last time it blew? about 600,000 years ago ...

Before I get all worked up and quote happy, what sort of back-up are you looking for?

There's some stuff about 'psyops fracking,' and 'fbi fracking' on the internet.

Do you want to defend this company?

"WELLSBORO, Pa. -- A firm called East Resources Inc. was among the first to drill into the Marcellus Shale, a rock layer found to be rich in natural gas. As the small wildcatter drilled, starting in 2008, regulators repeatedly cited it for spills or other environmental infractions, almost two for every shale well it drilled."

http://online.wsj.co...346741120261384

Your hero?.

I can't access the article to see what it says beyond what you quoted.  Does it get into retaliation against people who are anti-fracking?

We're under flash flood watch here in Texas.

Probably some more tornadoes on the way this week too.  We've already had a handful of deaths in the region from tornadoes; luckily the worst ones have been in sparsely populated areas.

It's good in that we've been under drought conditions for a few years and the local lakes are finally filling up, but when the rain comes, it's been coming harder than I've ever seen it before.  When it's pouring down areas that really aren't susceptible to flooding are flooding.

We're under flash flood watch here in Texas.

Probably some more tornadoes on the way this week too.  We've already had a handful of deaths in the region from tornadoes; luckily the worst ones have been in sparsely populated areas.

It's good in that we've been under drought conditions for a few years and the local lakes are finally filling up, but when the rain comes, it's been coming harder than I've ever seen it before.  When it's pouring down areas that really aren't susceptible to flooding are flooding.

All those religious folks praying for rain finally paid off, years and months later. The politicians should find a way to channel all the excess water to those sinners out in California.

I can't access the article to see what it says beyond what you quoted.  Does it get into retaliation against people who are anti-fracking?

In case you missed it, Anna / Yuri penned a nice farewell to me and the board.

He / she is gone.  And, as far as I can tell, has not been back lurking about in the cobwebs.

EDIT:

I just checked and Yuri was logged in on May 10th (I think) it appears to change his screen name back to his original.  He has not posted since his farewell in the Q & A "How did you find SabeSpace" thread. 

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

He / she is gone.  And, as far as I can tell, has not been back lurking about in the cobwebs.

I did miss it.  Where is it?  What's going on?

EDIT:

I just checked and Yuri was logged in on May 10th (I think) it appears to change his screen name back to his original.  He has not posted since his farewell in the Q & A "How did you find SabeSpace" thread. 

I did miss it.  Where is it?  What's going on?

He/she hasn't posted the last couple of weeks, but there was a Yuri sighting last month and the latest login was just two days ago:

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/23244-desert-dogs-vancouver-4-9-2015-10pm-est/page-3?do=findComment&comment=677143

Edit: NS partially beat me to it.

Edited by biodork

In any event, it looks like Anna has left and Yuri has returned in her place; at least that's how I read that post in the Q&A thread.

I don't think so.

Yuri just wanted to try to remove any trace of Anna, Marcellus ...

By changing your user name back to the original all posts that the user made changes to that user name.  If a post under another user name is quoted, though, the quoted post remains under the user name used to make the quoted post.

Anyway, I really don't think Yuri is back.  IMO, he just logged in to reset his user name back to his original (Yuri Olesha) for the sake of posterity and nostalgia.  I believe his farewell post in April, was just that, his farewell post.  I believe that he feels his work here is done.  Maybe I'm wrong.  If you do read this post Yuri, I would welcome you back in a heartbeat, my friend.

I don't think so.

Yuri just wanted to try to remove any trace of Anna, Marcellus ...

By changing your user name back to the original all posts that the user made changes to that user name.  If a post under another user name is quoted, though, the quoted post remains under the user name used to make the quoted post.

Anyway, I really don't think Yuri is back.  IMO, he just logged in to reset his user name back to his original (Yuri Olesha) for the sake of posterity and nostalgia.  I believe his farewell post in April, was just that, his farewell post.  I believe that he feels his work here is done.  Maybe I'm wrong.  If you do read this post Yuri, I would welcome you back in a heartbeat, my friend.

I guess it just got to be too tough to maintain multiple usernames.

after the last earthquake, mount everest is actually one inch shorter than it was before. that region is due for some major quakes, as neuvichs pointed out. two plates banging into each other ... there's gonna be some new formations.

what terrifies me is the yellowstone caldera that blows every 600,000 years. the last time it blew? about 600,000 years ago ...

Hopefully there's a 1% margin of error in there. :)

• 3 months later...

Might be a welcome relief for us after two ball busting winters. Local farmers might disagree though.

Unfortunately, NY winter weather seems more reliant on the NAO than on el-nino.

CPC right now is predicting we have a normal winter temp & precipitaion-wise.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.