All About Natural Disasters

• 3 weeks later...

No questions off the top of my head. But God bless you for your work. (high praise coming from an agnostic)

Thanks PA, much appreciated, I think I am going to try and go yearly to a country in need, and If there is a natural disaster then it will only make the work more meaningful

So I'll just bring this back up, and keep it to the proper thread, anyone have any questions about my recent trip, ill be happy to answer

Too many questions to even start asking...

But you mentioned something in some other thread that really struck a chord for me.  You said that the Ecuadorians had basically nothing from a wealth perspective the way most of us would perceive it, and yet they still seem much happier than we do in so many ways.  I would love to hear your thoughts on this very much.

Too many questions to even start asking...

But you mentioned something in some other thread that really struck a chord for me. You said that the Ecuadorians had basically nothing from a wealth perspective the way most of us would perceive it, and yet they still seem much happier than we do in so many ways. I would love to hear your thoughts on this very much.

Well I will speak to most of the Amazon region, as Compared to the patients near the actual quake. These patients in particular live a very humble lifestyle, living in jungle huts at best, they have no drinking water and get parasites, all are very arthritic from using a machete in the fields all day and many drink local cheecha, which is a very strong fermented drink. All suffer from a lot of pain, however chronic disease is at a much lower level than here in the U.S.

I honestly feel that the stress level is about 90% lower than what we face, the culture is just different, hitchhiking around the country is expected and accepted, they don't need to compare jobs/vehicles/wives, etc, many are just happy to have us come down and give them medicine that could be near laughable in our hospitals.

I felt even as someone who obviously was an outsider, that the culture there was not just to their own, but that courtesy was extended to us, they don't have a big race problem, the older tribes that speak kichwa had good rapport with the newer tribes that spoke Spanish and they helped with interpretation without hesitation.

I guess a last observation is that I took the go fund me I set up and broke it all into 5's and 10's and when I handed it out to those that needed it, they were so overwhelmed with happiness, I mean it's not a ton, but I feel like here in many parts of the US a 5$ tip gets laughed at.

With all that said, it's a very tough lifestyle and very difficult climate, many have not been exposed to what we have access to, which plays a major role, but I found that even in some of the bigger cities that there was quite a distinct separation from us.

I know I kind of rambled here, but I hope that gives some insight.

Woody, I'm curious as to their level of knowledge/interest in the USA.  Did they ask you lots of questions about your (our) country, and if so what type of stuff did they want to know? 

Also, you mentioned that they have no drinking water.  Why is this?  It's a jungle, not a desert, yes?  It would seem all one would need for safe drinking water would be a nearby creek/river, a pot, and a fire.  Please forgive my ignorance. 

And one final question: what was the most difficult thing for you personally to be without?  Or did you stay in a place nearby with electricity, running water, etc.  Just curious.  

Woody, I'm curious as to their level of knowledge/interest in the USA. Did they ask you lots of questions about your (our) country, and if so what type of stuff did they want to know?

Also, you mentioned that they have no drinking water. Why is this? It's a jungle, not a desert, yes? It would seem all one would need for safe drinking water would be a nearby creek/river, a pot, and a fire. Please forgive my ignorance.

And one final question: what was the most difficult thing for you personally to be without? Or did you stay in a place nearby with electricity, running water, etc. Just curious.

As for their level, it was tough to Guage, I was using translators most of the time, there were some random questions about medicine in the US, but in general, what I found (outside of the capital) the interest was pretty low. Some of the schools I visited along the way, they did not teach any English. A lot of people are on the shy side there, especially in the Amazon Basin area.

As for the water, there is plenty of water around, however it is not safe, it's especially bad for us whose systems are very naive to it, but every person I touched got treated for parasites due to the water, many had worms in their stool, boiling it certainly would help, but many of these people do not have the desire/means to start a fire, especially since it's the rainforest and everything is damp to begin with,plus out of the blue it'll go from sunny to torrential downpour multiple times a day.

What did I miss the most... Hmm, well I stayed in a Jungle Hut, no electricity, minimal running water that I couldn't use, and a toilet that had to be flushed with a bucket. The huts were full of bugs and even on a day where it was cooler the small rooms were still at what felt like 90 degrees all day and night. I think a fan (a mini one I forgot to pack) was sorely missed and in general just some climate control. Not having a phone or electricity was different, but not necessarily the worst thing in the world. I also found that not having a shower was tough, especially on long days where I was pouring sweat, by the end of the brigade my clothes were soaked and they wouldn't dry because of the humidity, I ended up donating 80% of my stuff at the end.

As for their level, it was tough to Guage, I was using translators most of the time, there were some random questions about medicine in the US, but in general, what I found (outside of the capital) the interest was pretty low. Some of the schools I visited along the way, they did not teach any English. A lot of people are on the shy side there, especially in the Amazon Basin area.

As for the water, there is plenty of water around, however it is not safe, it's especially bad for us whose systems are very naive to it, but every person I touched got treated for parasites due to the water, many had worms in their stool, boiling it certainly would help, but many of these people do not have the desire/means to start a fire, especially since it's the rainforest and everything is damp to begin with,plus out of the blue it'll go from sunny to torrential downpour multiple times a day.

What did I miss the most... Hmm, well I stayed in a Jungle Hut, no electricity, minimal running water that I couldn't use, and a toilet that had to be flushed with a bucket. The huts were full of bugs and even on a day where it was cooler the small rooms were still at what felt like 90 degrees all day and night. I think a fan (a mini one I forgot to pack) was sorely missed and in general just some climate control. Not having a phone or electricity was different, but not necessarily the worst thing in the world. I also found that not having a shower was tough, especially on long days where I was pouring sweat, by the end of the brigade my clothes were soaked and they wouldn't dry because of the humidity, I ended up donating 80% of my stuff at the end.

Good on you for sticking with it. Was there at least a river or something to bathe in?

Good on you for sticking with it. Was there at least a river or something to bathe in?

We were right by the Napo river for a good chunk of the trip... The issue was that it got high and low very quickly based in the rain, and many times was not safe due to the current. Also if you accidentally swallowed some, then get the GI meds ready. We had access to a very low pressure ice cold shower once or twice during the brigade, I took advantage but it was a quick in/out

Thanks for answering my questions.  That sounds absolutely horrific.  I honestly can't imagine spending a whole week like that, so major props to you sir for sticking it out and helping all those people.  :worthy:

Thanks for answering my questions. That sounds absolutely horrific. I honestly can't imagine spending a whole week like that, so major props to you sir for sticking it out and helping all those people. :worthy:

Thanks!! I'll probably go back, they don't have good follow up at all, ill make sure to pack a few things that I didn't next time.

Any weather geeks in here own a personal weather station? I'm looking to get one for father's day, and maybe myself (used to have one years ago). Was looking for recommendations. I have a couple in mind but both have something that I don't like about them. 

This one is cool, but in order to get it to upload to Weather Underground it has to be connected to a computer that is always powered on. Really don't feel like setting up an old laptop to stay powered all the time. 

https://www.acurite.com/weather-environment-system-900wes.html

This one uploads directly to Weather Underground, but the display app is limited to Apple products. No Android. 

http://www.ambientweather.com/amws1400ip.html

Any weather geeks in here own a personal weather station? I'm looking to get one for father's day, and maybe myself (used to have one years ago). Was looking for recommendations. I have a couple in mind but both have something that I don't like about them. 

This one is cool, but in order to get it to upload to Weather Underground it has to be connected to a computer that is always powered on. Really don't feel like setting up an old laptop to stay powered all the time. 

https://www.acurite.com/weather-environment-system-900wes.html

This one uploads directly to Weather Underground, but the display app is limited to Apple products. No Android. 

http://www.ambientweather.com/amws1400ip.html

I think that BloomSky weather cam thing looks really cool.

I think that BloomSky weather cam thing looks really cool.

That looks interesting! I'm more into the stats stuff, but that could make a great father's day gift. 

They've got a real nice site. I'm browsing through everybody's videos. I wish the weather station companies could be this updated and modern with their stuff. 

If i werent 1000' from a weather station i would do this. But i can monitor the professional site online.

Weave is like the Jim Lahey of weather stations in his county.  He's on top of that .  And if your satellite signals interfere, look out.

• 2 months later...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/italian-town-amatrice-badly-hit-quake-people-under-031749526.html

Italian town of Amatrice struck by 6.2 magnitude earthquake; 'Half the town is gone'

This doesn't sound good at all.

I just read about that.

I'll be ready with donations to relief, and I hate that I don't know what else to do. Every new disaster I say the same thing, "my thoughts are with ___" "my heart goes out to the people of _____". I feel sadness and helplessness. Just seems there's been an inordinate amount of awful this year. I hope for the best for them. 

• 2 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.