Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

I didn't get a chance to post this last week, but my dad and stepmom had 3 cats and a dog (full house!).  The youngest cat was somewhere between 6 and 8 years old, so an adult, but still with plenty of lifespan to go.  She had always been incredibly skinny (5-6 lbs), but she was a Siamese with a small frame and had a voracious appetite, easily out-eating the other two (much larger) cats.  It had gotten to the point where they had to hide any food in the kitchen because she had literally chewed through a bag of bread and eaten part of the loaf one time!  And she was so very sweet and would love to curl up on your lap... probably the only cat I've ever met who never grew tired of attention like most do.  And yet she was still losing weight.  They took her to the vet to see if she had some kind of thyroid problem, and that test came back negative, but her white cell count was very high so the vet suggested maybe she had some kind of internal infection, gave her a 3 week course of antibiotics and a steroid shot, and told them to come back when those were done.  Still she kept losing weight, and once the steroids wore off she grew increasingly weak and actually lost her appetite.  When they went back to the vet, they said it felt like there was a large mass (tumor) in her liver and that she was probably not going to survive much more than a few days and recommended euthanasia.  Turns out she probably had lymphoma or something all along, but no one thought to look for that because her appetite was so strong and she never "acted" sick.  RIP little kitty.   :cry:

These things are always hard.  My condolences.

I know that the little kitty is in heaven now, of that I have no doubt ... 'there are none that We have omitted from the book.  And they all shall return to their Lord in the end'.

Our little guy went for his first appointment with the new vet today and Josie reports that they are excellent and thorough. Unfortunately he has a cracked tooth and needs it removed so he's going in in a few weeks to get that done. Hoping for a good result.

Our little guy went for his first appointment with the new vet today and Josie reports that they are excellent and thorough. Unfortunately he has a cracked tooth and needs it removed so he's going in in a few weeks to get that done. Hoping for a good result.

I got surprisingly emotional when they drew his blood for his senior panel. Every place I've been to in the past does it in the back, not in front of you. This must be what motherhood feels like. 

I got surprisingly emotional when they drew his blood for his senior panel. Every place I've been to in the past does it in the back, not in front of you. This must be what motherhood feels like. 

I check my cat's blood sugar once in a while. You use a lancet to poke the margin of their ear. He doesn't mind a'tall.

I check my cat's blood sugar once in a while. You use a lancet to poke the margin of their ear. He doesn't mind a'tall.

Yeah, this was sticking a big needle in his jugular while he nervously licked his nose and tried to look at me while shaking like a leaf. Made me feel a little weepy, cuz I can't just tell him in any way he understands that this is ok and necessary and will be over in a minute. 

I’m very sorry to hear about your little fur buddy, Bio. Our pets are very much like children really. They’re loving and vulnerable. They need us every day.

My poor Doodles was first with lymphoma followed by his brother Poopie at six months. Lymphoma as well.

I’m sure it’s hard to diagnose these things in animals with their seeming insignificance. It sure seemed difficult for human doctors to accurately diagnose the problems with both my parents. I lost them both from within a year from now. Within nine months of each other. I’ve been having some very tough times coming to grips with it all especially after having a hospital employee pull me aside and whisper “elder homicide” in my ear after my father’s death. There really is a preference for patients with wealth over poor common folks at a lot of hospitals IMO.

Please. Any of you guys that work in the hospital setting, could you talk me down from this notion I have.

I really feel that two of the kindest and caring people to ever walk the face of the earth got sacrificed due to their poverty level.

I have been absolutely tearing myself up over my Mom’s death. I grew up as her little protector. She should still be here it.

Telling your kid that we can't sled any more and it's time to go in when all you want to do is sled some more (with or without her; I love sledding).

I love sledding too.  I haven't done it since I was little, but I imagine myself really loving it as an adult.  I think I want to sneak a sled onto Dream at KB next year.

I love sledding too.  I haven't done it since I was little, but I imagine myself really loving it as an adult.  I think I want to sneak a sled onto Dream at KB next year.

I had to go look since I haven't skied there in 25 years, and yeah, Dream would be a great trail for it. We used to spend a ton of time on that trail goofing off since it was such an easy run.

I had to go look since I haven't skied there in 25 years, and yeah, Dream would be a great trail for it. We used to spend a ton of time on that trail goofing off since it was such an easy run.

I haven't skied there in more than that.  I just assumed it was the same hill.

People that don't come to work. We've canned 2 people in the last 4 days for attendance. 10 points in less than 12 months. That's pretty generous, isn't it? Am I way off base here? Consecutive call in result in 1/2 points on the 2nd and 3rd days in a row and these people still can't keep it under 10 points.

They make more work for me. It's annoying that people aren't reliable.

Planned power outages!!

The only thing worse are unplanned power outages.

They are doing some major work on a small street right around the corner from us.  It has been needing to be done for about 10 years.  So, they decided to start yesterday.  Today NSP is finishing relocating the power lines ... yesterday they moved the poles.  This requires a 2 - 4 hour (seems a bit long to me, but what do I know) planned power outage to disconnect and reconnect the power lines.  

I get it, but don't these clowns know that it is the very end of March and I really need power and internet to do my work.  Well, it makes it easier.  

For most of the time I will be out of my office at meetings anyway.

So, I'm not really sure why I am complaining, but I do feel better venting to you guys and gals.

We stupidly got our hopes up that there was some light at the end of the tunnel. After three days in the ER trying to get inpatient treatment for my daughter, we find out that she is too broken. No place will take her. Turns out, our rope just ends.

In Italy I had a day with a lot of walking in Pompeii, woke up the next day with a ton of knee pain, couldn't walk well, but whatever.... Well it's been progressing to the point of instability.... I got an under the radar MRI at work, and boom F'ing medial meniscus tear, like a bad one..... I'm quite frustrated and now debating about surgery

We stupidly got our hopes up that there was some light at the end of the tunnel. After three days in the ER trying to get inpatient treatment for my daughter, we find out that she is too broken. No place will take her. Turns out, our rope just ends.

Very sorry to read that. Truly hope you & your wife find another treatment that helps your daughter soon. Hang in there.

Sorry man, hope everything gets better. 

I just dropped in to rant, but just saw this, what is going on, anything I can do to try and help?

It would be presumptuous of me to jump to the conclusion that the care Swamp needs is available here, but have you considered moving to Canada?

I have for other reasons but that's another topic. And I'm pretty sure that if they knew we were coming, they would mobilize a couple of army divisions at every Niagara River crossing to make sure we didn't get in anyway. :lol:

I just dropped in to rant, but just saw this, what is going on, anything I can do to try and help?

Thanks, and thanks to all.

Not sure there is anything more that can be done at this point. Her behaviors have really escalated in the past 3-4 weeks. Extremely self injurious, smashed her head into the TV on Tuesday (she wears a helmet, she was fine, the TV not so much), Wednesday was a snow day and when it was over my wife and I independently came to the conclusion that it was the worst day of our lives (maybe top 3 but you'd really have to sell me on the other 2). I had to physically restrain her for 45 mins of a 2 hour meltdown.

Saturday was looking like it was going to be a repeat of weds so my wife said screw it, and took her to the ER (then it's on them to find some inpatient care). Pro Tip - If you are going to have a psychiatric emergency, have it during the week because there is nobody there to do placements on the weekend. :blink:

So three days later, we left, with a whole list of places that said even if they had a bed, they wouldn't take her, the reasons being that not only are her behaviors not under control, but she also isn't potty trained and she has seizures. Um, no ######, jackass! Those are the very reasons we're here.

"Paging Dr. Yossarian! Dr Yossarian to the ER!"

We had a meeting with our school district yesterday that had even more people involved, and now that we've exhausted all the front door channels, they are going to start using their personal connections to try and get us more services or placement. Either way, she's here for a while. Hope we have it in us.

Thanks for letting me rant.

Edited by SwampD