Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

Mental illness is really the issue here although I'm all for a ban on semi-automatic assault weapons.

However, no one talks about the quiet killer which is opioid overdoses. Drugs are pouring in over the southern border daily.

They don't need to come across the border. They are very easily RXd in this country.

My family just lost a nephew to a heroin OD about a month ago. 28 YO leaving 2 kids. It opened my eyes to the depth of the problem, and it was the 1st time I've been directly impacted by it. His addiction was not started by prescription opioids, but many are. 

I'm pretty certain at this point, if I ever need a medical procedure where any of those drugs would be given to me I would decline them and ask for an alternative just to avoid the potential situation.

I'd rather feel more pain in the short run than potentially have to fight that off that addiction.  I don't have to worry about heroin unless someone slips into my system without my noticing.

No, but Vicodin is. Along with Percocet and oxy. Once they're hooked on that and can't get the pills anymore, they switch to heroin because it's cheap. Then they end up buying fentanyl, then dead.

Yup.

A friend's husband was a nurse, got addicted to oxy and started doing heroin. Wrecked his whole life, marriage, etc. Prescription painkillers are an epidemic. 

I'm pretty certain at this point, if I ever need a medical procedure where any of those drugs would be given to me I would decline them and ask for an alternative just to avoid the potential situation.

I'd rather feel more pain in the short run than potentially have to fight that off that addiction.  I don't have to worry about heroin unless someone slips into my system without my noticing.

The docs have prescribed Josie oxy on a couple occasions in the last few years and although she took one or two for the initial bouts of pain she essentially refused to keep taking it for fear of becoming dependent.

I've never been prescribed any of these big drugs and I hope I never have a reason to be. 

The total lack of responsibility in this country is mind blowing. None of this maniacs friends, family, school mates, school authorities noticed the change in behavior of this kid and stepped in??????

No the gun lobby made him do it. And no I'm not a gun lobbyist by any stretch of the imagination because you can't buy a beer at 18 but you can buy an automatic weapon and have an arsenal of bullets at 18????????? No sense in this.

I truly feel for the families in this situation, can't even imagine it happening to me. 

#2 Also feel for the families of drug addiction but especially in the opiod tradgedy you don't get addicted by doing it once. It actually is a choice to become an addict. Maybe some are more prone to this disease from family or whatever but it is still a choice especially street drugs. The user has a lack of personal responsibilities in this and the aftermath always falls on their family and society. 

We all want to blame someone else for these tragedies, politicians, gun lobby, people transporting drugs over the border everybody but the person themselves and anyone involved with these people.

Edited by jsb

I tried to do this immediately after my ankle surgery last year. I took the first dose of the oxy they prescribed me. When it came time for another, I felt pretty good so I switched to Tylenol and went to bed. Turns out I just felt okay because my nerve block lasted wayyyy longer than I expected. Once the nerve block wore off, Tylenol was no match and I woke up in a world of pain. I switched back to the strong stuff for a little while.

Those made me feel terrible though. I took half doses. Full doses made me a bit woozy and made my heart race. To avoid oversharing, I'll just say that even the half doses brought my digestive tract to a screeching halt. 

I had no issues kicking them. But I made a conscious effort to get off them ASAP. It's messed up that the human body is wired such that it can get addicted to such nasty stuff. 

Fentanyl is absolutely awful. The stuff is so potent, and you can't tell what it is just by looking at it. There have been a few instances of police officers dying during searches because they touched it. Now nobody's field testing, forensic labs are swamped, and cases are taking even longer. Nothing else to do about it though, nobody else needs to be dying because of it.

Bump. Same as it ever was.

Nice bumping ... assuming you are referencing T H and not the stupid turtles.

The ###### gun culture in this country.  Really, can't even do a background check on that psycho?

Some random numbers for today ... 02 - 15 - 2018 and EIGHTEEN!!

This is one of the saddest commentaries I have read in a long time.

It's been like this ever since Columbine. The best solution the "wise adults" can come up with is sticking one semi-retired cop with a hand gun in every school.

The only reason we haven't figured out how to prevent these atrocities is because the people with the power to do anything are either too stupid, too cowardly, or too paid-for.

We can stop kids from getting murdered in their classrooms. It's just that no one really wants to try.

No, but Vicodin is. Along with Percocet and oxy. Once they're hooked on that and can't get the pills anymore, they switch to heroin because it's cheap. Then they end up buying fentanyl, then dead.

One of the really good things to happen in the drug/medical industry in the last 10 years is that systems put into place to share information on anyone that has been prescribed pain killers.

People use to be able to walk into every hospital E.R. on the same day in their city with a broken xxxxx and walk out with a script for a pain killer. And the repeat business was amazing. Now, if you don't have fake ID you maybe can get it once, as the rest of the E.R.s will have a prompt show up that you've already been given a script and when one was last prescribed.

The last PCP office I was in had a warning right on the front door * No Pain Meds will be prescribed by any doctor in this facility*. They would tell them if they where in that much pain they needed to go to the emergency room.

A lot has changed, which I believe has lead more people to go the way of *illegal* drugs then ever before.

This is one of the saddest commentaries I have read in a long time.

The other day I went to a Sabres game and as I was walking in I noticed 2 Buffalo PD. Now I always expect some police at a game because I understand the world we live in. The thing that struck me was that these officers were in full tactical gear. No they didn't have military grade body armor. They did have camo, body armor, and m4 carbines locked and loaded. It just seemed a sad commentary on where we are in the US. I'm glad they were there, but I feel sad that the protection was needed. 

As to armed guards at schools, we have no idea what factors lead to mass shootings or shootings in general. The CDC is actually not allowed to study gun violence in the US. Let that sink in. The US is so backwards that we aren't even allowed to study this issue and offer actual solutions. But hey, Congress is fat dumb and happy so why should they care. 

d4rk mentioned I've been on Oxy/percocet before. Never really a problem after a surgery- I take a couple for a day or two and then quit. But. I always have them on me because of kidney stones. It's not to make the pain go away- it's to make the pain tolerable until I can either pass the stone or get to a hospital. Anyone who's had a kidney stone knows what I'm talking about.

Last summer, I got a migraine at a friend's cabin about 3 hours from home. End of the night, luckily, but I knew the car drive was going to be hell. So I popped one. And I understood why people get addicted. It was like a warm happy blanket was tucked around me- the pain melted, just cozy, heavy, warmth took over. Until the car sickness/nausea/pounding heart appeared. Yep. 

My hometown has been destroyed by heroin/oxy/fentanyl. A third of my graduating class (which was a good 360 people) have had problems with it, either them or a spouse/family member. Many have died. Every trip home is "remember x person?" "Oh yeah, the homecoming king/etc?" "yeah.. he's in rehab". That's the ones whose families are wealthy and can help them out. The rest are living in cars in parking lots or couch surfing or sleeping rough. 

On school shootings- when I taught at RIT I always had two plans ready per classroom- good hiding spot for the class (often tough with huge glass windows) and escape route. I felt sh!tty for even feeling like I should consider it, that maybe I was just overreacting. Glad I never had to try them out.

ANyways.

My complaint: My father is having exploratory surgery tomorrow- essentially a wire up an artery into the heart to look for blockages and determine if we're in "needs bypass surgery" territory. He's 71. I'm terrified. Kinda been a wreck all week. My brain is just conjuring up all kinds of unbidden images and bad thoughts. 

Yup.

A friend's husband was a nurse, got addicted to oxy and started doing heroin. Wrecked his whole life, marriage, etc. Prescription painkillers are an epidemic. 

He's solidly into meth now. He looks horrific. He was a very handsome guy- probably 90% of the reason my friend was with him (she's a bit daft about men). He's the human equivalent of a bombed out car frame. Hollow, dirty, strained. 

Edited by ABBA_älskare_69

Another thought. Unarmed black man gets shot by police but a white mother ###### shooting up a school gets taken into custody? Racism 2018, alive and well in the US. Im loggin off for a bit. If I keep posting I will get banned. Maybe I will watch the game tonight and comment on that. 

Edited by SkuggaLiger

Another thought. Unarmed black man gets shot by police but a white mother ###### shooting up a school gets taken into custody? Racism 2018, alive and well in the US. Im loggin off for a bit. If I keep posting I will get banned. Maybe I will watch the game tonight and comment on that. 

The respect shown during his handling, viewed from the air, is either a sign of an incredibly professional police department or something else.

It's been like this ever since Columbine. The best solution the "wise adults" can come up with is sticking one semi-retired cop with a hand gun in every school.

The only reason we haven't figured out how to prevent these atrocities is because the people with the power to do anything are either too stupid, too cowardly, or too paid-for.

We can stop kids from getting murdered in their classrooms. It's just that no one really wants to try.

Banning semi-auto assault weapons would be a start. But those who want to hurt others will find a way. This kid was also researching how to make bombs.

The ###### gun culture in this country.  Really, can't even do a background check on that psycho?

He legally purchased the gun, I keep hearing. Wouldn't that mean a background check? Does a history of treatment for mental illness even show up? (I heard something on the radio today that Trump reversed an Obama policy in order to make it easier for people with mental illness to buy a gun. Someone fact check me please. I couldn't possibly have heard that right.)

The cop in my son's elementary school carried an adorable little Glock 42. A cute little .380 single stack subcompact. Ya know, small children and all. Now that the boy is in highschool they carry .40 cal.

Jonesboro, Arkansas was crazy. It's been ridiculous since Columbine. I've been numb to it since Virginia Tech. I'm sure I don't remember the last 3, or the 30 before that.

He legally purchased the gun, I keep hearing. Wouldn't that mean a background check? Does a history of treatment for mental illness even show up? (I heard something on the radio today that Trump reversed an Obama policy in order to make it easier for people with mental illness to buy a gun. Someone fact check me please. I couldn't possibly have heard that right.)

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/trump-signs-bill-revoking-obama-era-gun-checks-people-mental-n727221

You're sadly correct