Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

Very sorry to hear this Shrader. Keep it together and keep going one step at a time and things will get better. And medical science for infants is pretty amazing these days.

I actually work with pediatric heart research and have worked with a couple doctors at the hospital the baby is at. I don't know them all that well, but at least through work I should be able to pull some strings and get her the best surgeon possible. It is a condition that is very correctable and shouldn't cause many longterm issues, so at least that much is good.

Shrader - I hope things go well for your family members. Sending good thoughts...

ubkev - sorry to hear about the pup. I'm always amazed at how resilient dogs are when they've been injured. I guess it's the wolf DNA.

My complaint today is... getting older. I was introduced to a very attractive young women yesterday by a mutual friend. She looked about 21 or 22 to me, but I later learned she just turned 30. Not that I would have had a chance with a woman who looked that good even when I was in my 30's, but it's even worse that A) I have less than a zero percent chance of getting a date at this juncture of my life and B) at nearly double her age, I am officially now a dirty old man. I feel soiled.....I think I need to take a shower. A cold one.

I actually work with pediatric heart research and have worked with a couple doctors at the hospital the baby is at. I don't know them all that well, but at least through work I should be able to pull some strings and get her the best surgeon possible. It is a condition that is very correctable and shouldn't cause many longterm issues, so at least that much is good.

Best of luck to you and yours. ###### cancer. As a survivor of a myriad of heart problems (heart attack at 15, hole in heart, experimental surgery), it's absolutely amazing and rather comforting what technology can do. My surgeon was at Cleveland Clinic and he and his surgical partner changed so many lives for the better, most of them infants. You're in my thoughts.

My complaint is also a sad one- a very good friend of mine from college is overseas fighting with the rangers in Afghanistan. I recently got in touch with him and long story short, things are bad, he's in hot situations. Several people from his regiment, including one of his childhood friends, were killed earlier this week. He has commissioned me to paint the friend in his kit and on his wedding day for the family. The man's picture is all over the internet in that article about families of the fallen soldiers being delayed posthumous benefits. I don't know how I'm going to do these paintings, looking at his face, without just sobbing all over the place the whole time. Screw war. Screw Congress. And I hope my friend gets home safe.

Hang together, guys. Weekend's almost here.

An lapsed aquaintance/friend of mine passed away. I hadn't talked to him in many years, and we weren't particularily good friends, but it's still odd to think of a peer up and dying. He was 38, heart attack (although not in bad shape or anything). The worst possible part of it is his first child (a son) was born a week ago. Jeebus.

Nice job you yahoos....

I'm busy lamenting over everyone, only to realize I just overcooked the ravioli. I run into the kitchen and like a fool, dump the pot with one hand while holding the colander in the other. Steam shoots all over my left hand. I am full expecting a blister on the knuckles of my index and middle finger. I think it's the #ChzStigmata

It's getting heavy in here....

Prayers for everyone.

I've got two of the greatest people I know, downtrending with health, big time. That's why there's booze. At least, 1 of the top 10 reasons.....

Yes, luckily I have a decent escape right around the corner. I'm off to CT tomorrow for a wedding. That's right, the two greatest words in the english language: OPEN. BAR.

Two days of it. I should be all set. Then I get to do another one next weekend. Goodbye liver.

It's performance review time again in my little corner of corporate America. Spineless doesn't even begin to describe the "leadership" in my group.

Haha. I did my peoples reviews and turned them in for the VP to approve. They were all changed, my comments; raw and unapologetic, were all thrown out in favor of light fluff! Everyone in the department got their 3% raise and now we wait to do it again next year. We all get the same 3% every year so why even do the reviews. Good employees and bad employees are making the exact same money and getting the exact same raises, reviews are worthless.

Also thanks to everyone for the well wishes.

Best wishes to everyone.

Haha. I did my peoples reviews and turned them in for the VP to approve. They were all changed, my comments; raw and unapologetic, were all thrown out in favor of light fluff! Everyone in the department got their 3% raise and now we wait to do it again next year. We all get the same 3% every year so why even do the reviews. Good employees and bad employees are making the exact same money and getting the exact same raises, reviews are worthless.

Sounds familiar. My boss went to bat for me to try and get me a superior review and in the end had everything changed by his boss so they could give me an average review. All of this I expected from previous years, but this time they literally made stuff stuff up in order to justify downgrading me. Spineless, gutless a-holes. I can't even pretend to like these people anymore, and they've got a whole bunch of unfiltered comments from me this week to let them know that's the case.

All of us lumped in the average pool will get our standard 3%. The select few who get superior reviews will be eligible for extra bonus and stock options, and those in the lower tiers will likely be put on a development plan and have to fight to keep their jobs. The entire process as it is puts everyone on the defensive to just try to keep yourself out of the lower tier. It has nothing whatsoever to do with actually fostering development in your career. I've threatened to do this for a few years, but if I'm still here next year it's cut and paste for me at review time.

I've been away for a while, but it really is a bit heavy in here, as has been noted. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone affected by cancer and the govt shutdown, though the shutdown appears to temporarily be over.

My complaint (though pale in comparison)...sciatica still sucks. It hurts me only when I'm sitting and driving and I'll be headed to Washington, DC in the car tomorrow (for a wedding on Saturday). A total of 6+ hours, but I'll have a brief stop in Philly to pick up the wife. I then drive back on Sunday afternoon. I'll be stocking up on aleve & ibuprofen.

Second complaint...fleas. My younger dog picked them up from my brother-in-law's dog and has become very sensitive to them. He itches an awful lot, so we have Terminix come every few months to spray the house and kill what's around.

Was she involved in that bit of cunning linguistics?

I don't remember if it was Clinton himself or his press secretary or someone else decribing their willingness to release information on the "case". More rather than less, sooner rather than later, blah blah blah. Ever since then it has gradually replace asap.

ER visits are fun. The thought of appendicitis was running through my head but it is more than likely just a muscular thing. Oh, and now the wife is mad at me for not telling her I was headed to the ER. She's got way too much going on right now and I didn't want to worry her. Stupid maybe, but I'd make the same decision if it happened again tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Chz. Sorry if we cut your vacay short.

My complaint.

If I wanted to get my daughter stoned, I'm pretty confident that within two hours, I could leave my house and come back with some pot and get her stoned. I don't want to do that, though.

She currently takes 2 different anti-seizure meds and one behavioral med (a lot, twice a day, every day), plus melatonin so she can sleep. She has already gone through most of the different medications and in a couple of months, when she outgrows her current dosage of these, after the next increase she will be really low on options. So, we brought it up with her pediatrician and her neurologist and they are on board with her trying medical marijuana.

It can only be prescribed from registered doctors. None of her regular dr.s are registered, of course. So we go to one who is, after making sure that we have all the appropriate paperwork and signed letters from her "team." While filling out all the online screens of the application process, the doctor's asst. says,"I've never seen this screen before. I'll be right back." As it happens, my daughter is their first minor, and in addition to all the other hoops we have to jump through, she also needs a letter from a psychiatrist.

So, a kid who has constant seizure activity, so much that her own brain won't let her learn stuff, including how to be verbal (or use the toilet or silverware, but that's for another complaint day) has to go and "talk" to a shrink so they can write a letter saying she knows the pros and cons of weed. And I don't know if anyone here has ever talked to a psychiatrist before, but they are all batsh!t crazy.

Like I said, I could get her stoned in two hours if I wanted to, but I really want to do it right, scientifically, with the right people tracking her progress. What a royal pain in the ass. I should also say that none of it is covered and it's going to cost about 2 grand just to be able to do what I could do for free at Washington Square Park.