Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

I won't deny it's a mental thing, but cans are not superior. They may not be worse, but they're not better!

I pour everything in a glass regardless of can or bottle. So I much prefer cans. Easier to store and transport, easier to open, easier to recycle. And some cans come in 16oz :)

Light effects the taste.

I thought that was only true for green bottles? Anyway, I can taste the can when I get beer from a can. Maybe placebo, won't deny it, but it's there.

I pour everything in a glass regardless of can or bottle. So I much prefer cans. Easier to store and transport, easier to open, easier to recycle. And some cans come in 16oz :)

From a can I always pour, feel I have to. Bottle is 50/50, really depends on situation.

What's awesome: I've gotten two acceptances into grad schools so far. One in my safety tier, one the tier above. And I got an invite to the open house of one in the reach tier, and I'm sure as hell going to go and try and fit in. 

What's not awesome: Watching schools that I reeeeeeeeally want to go to accept people on thegradcafe.com. Admissions from these schools in particular are pretty fluid, and continue into March often, because they know they're the safety schools of the MIT/Harvard/Princeton/Cal kids, and when those kids get those acceptances they decline the ones I'm aiming for. And I know that my profile is average for a PhD candidate in this field. It just sucks watching them accept kids and checking my email to see nothing. All I need is one to work out though! (And I definitely am not complaining about the two I got into, I'm very grateful to have somewhere to go next year)

Edit: This is obviously a ridiculous and light complaint given the stuff that often comes up in here. I definitely don't mean to make light of that stuff, and I'm definitely losing sleep/not being healthy because of the stress from all of this. Which has manifested on this board as me being a crappy, miserable poster for the last while. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

I'm in a bad mood pretty much all the time now when I'm not in Rochester. I've been doing this "commute to Buffalo for the work week, go back to Rochester for the weekend" thing for 2-1/2 years now and I've really reached my wits end with it in the last month. Knowing that we're finally going to be done with this when our lease in Rochester is up at the end of May is making me all the more frustrated. The end is in sight, and I just want it to be here now. I want to feel like I have a home again. 

On top of that the political climate, not being able to be there for Josie when she's sick, financial worries (are we buying a house or renting again? what kind of income is Josie going to have and when? Is my industry going to survive the Trump administration?), lack of inspiration or time to play hockey (which is usually my stress reliever), and a general lack of accomplishments (I really need to finish some of the books I'm reading, or pay off a credit card, or learn something new), I'm just very very annoyed by everything. I feel like I'm just constantly scowling.   

I need a vacation. 

I love teaching.  I really like being in the classroom, but the school administration is a nightmare.

We had a blizzard and the school was closed, as was all of NS, for Monday and Tuesday.  We had another storm (about 10 inches) which was problematic on top of all we had, along with wind ...

It was not bad early this AM, so the school was not closed.  At 6:00 AM (the normal decision time) the school was still open ... we use the local campus of the NS Community College as our guide (we are just up the street) and when they close we close.  Nothing.  I went out to brush of the car at 6:30 AM and the snow was very hard then and really starting to pile up, with a strong wind causing white out conditions, which were predicted and storm warnings had been issued.  

Anyway, at about 6:45 I said to self ... F this.  I got in the car to send an email letting the school know that I was not able to make it.  6:39AM ... update that the school was opening at 11:30 AM, but will reassess at 10:00 AM.  Bastards!!  Why could they not do that at a reasonable time?  And why can't the school I teach at grow a pair and decide for themselves and not key it to that other school.

At 9:30 AM the school announced that they were closed for the day ... the 3rd this week and there is no instruction on Fridays ... except now we have to make up the time .. .WELL, FAT CHANCE!!

/rant

All snow blowed and shovelled out and it is only noon.  Coffee is on and life is pretty good. 

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

In a serious funk. Trying everything to stay out of my own head: coding projects, friends, started a new book, even cleaned the entire apartment. Nothing's working

Sorry to hear this.

I can only recommend exhausting workouts as a potential aid.

This is a great idea.

WC,

I'll PM you my address I have about 30 inches of snow + drifts for you to move around.

I love teaching.  I really like being in the classroom, but the school administration is a nightmare.

We had a blizzard and the school was closed, as was all of NS, for Monday and Tuesday.  We had another storm (about 10 inches) which was problematic on top of all we had, along with wind ...

It was not bad early this AM, so the school was not closed.  At 6:00 AM (the normal decision time) the school was still open ... we use the local campus of the NS Community College as our guide (we are just up the street) and when they close we close.  Nothing.  I went out to brush of the car at 6:30 AM and the snow was very hard then and really starting to pile up, with a strong wind causing white out conditions, which were predicted and storm warnings had been issued.  

Anyway, at about 6:45 I said to self ... F this.  I got in the car to send an email letting the school know that I was not able to make it.  6:39AM ... update that the school was opening at 11:30 AM, but will reassess at 10:00 AM.  Bastards!!  Why could they not do that at a reasonable time?  And why can't the school I teach at grow a pair and decide for themselves and not key it to that other school.

At 9:30 AM the school announced that they were closed for the day ... the 3rd this week and there is no instruction on Fridays ... except now we have to make up the time .. .WELL, FAT CHANCE!!

/rant

All snow blowed and shovelled out and it is only noon.  Coffee is on and life is pretty good. 

Would that be Dartmouth Regional Vocational?

Truth. This is typically my cure-all when my headspace is messed up. 

Yep.

I'll PM you my address I have about 30 inches of snow + drifts for you to move around.

:lol:

Abso-freakin-lutely.  Sweat it out and tire yourself out in the process.  You'll feel better about everything and sleep like a baby (and in fact all bodily functions will improve).

It's true.

I was exercising pretty regularly for the past couple of years - but it was just a moderate workout of about 30 minutes a day. And, eventually, I wasn't really getting the stress relief I felt I needed. So I upped the ante 3 days of the week - I go as hard as seems reasonable for my doughy sedentary ass (I mean, I don't want to pass out, or worse). The difference has been pretty remarkable.

Carpal tunnel syndrome and tendonitis. I've always had big and strong (and young) enough hands to get away with some less than perfect technique. 

Playing some really challenging music and pushing 50 now, my arms have ached for weeks, and I've basically had to learn how to play bass all over again.

Getting old sucks.

I wish I would have done it years ago, too, because I can play stuff now the I was never able to play before. Youth is wasted on the young.

I can only recommend exhausting workouts as a potential aid.

Truth. This is typically my cure-all when my headspace is messed up. 

Sorry to hear this.

This is a great idea.

WC,

Abso-freakin-lutely.  Sweat it out and tire yourself out in the process.  You'll feel better about everything and sleep like a baby (and in fact all bodily functions will improve).

Thanks guys. I've heard this works too actually, so I'll give it a shot. I'll go for a run tonight, and then hit my local gym tomorrow hopefully if my buddy will go (he has a gym in his apartment complex). If not, more running I suppse. I'm willing to try anything at this point, I've been noticeably miserable these last months

If you lived an hour away, I'd honestly take you up on that NS

Upper respiratory virus still getting the better of me. Pretty much a lost month at this point.

I feel you man. October through November were just totally wasted for me thanks to colds/pneumonia, etc. I really am only just now feeling like I'm out of the woods. I was sure that my immune system was going to be shot for the rest of the winter.  

I feel you man. October through November were just totally wasted for me thanks to colds/pneumonia, etc. I really am only just now feeling like I'm out of the woods. I was sure that my immune system was going to be shot for the rest of the winter.

Supposedly no bacterial infection.

I've forgotten what life is like without coughing constantly.