Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

You might have the unluckiest family I have ever heard of.

Right?! I feel like karma owes us one heck of a winning lottery ticket or something to even things out by now.

(And public service announcement: if your washing machine hoses are more than 5 years old, please replace them with reinforced braided wire hoses!)

Lame complaint: the people who lived in the house before me never bothered to put in a mail forwarding order, so I'm still getting stuff intended for them 5 months after I bought the place. Usually it's just credit card offers and other junk, but today a legal summons for jury duty was delivered. Lazy idiots.

The ongoing saga of my dad and stepmom's house repairs continues.  For some inexplicable reason, neither the insurance company nor the contractor seem to be in any rush to sort things out so the actual repair work can get started.  SERVPRO declared Sunday afternoon that the walls and floor were dry enough to begin repairs, and supposedly this contractor was available to start right away, but it took him until late Tuesday to get the quote together for the insurance company, and their claim rep with insurance didn't bother to look at it and call them until late in the afternoon on Wed. to say she needed a more detailed quote from him.  The contractor balked and grumbled about "not having time" to give them the detail they wanted, which is asinine considering he probably already had those details elsewhere from generating the quote (square footage of the rooms to be re-floored, etc).  So here it is, Thursday midday, and my dad is still trying to get the insurance rep to communicate with the contractor so they can get everything approved and start scheduling the work.  They've lost pretty much an entire week for no reason other than that these two people can't be bothered to do their jobs.   :censored:

And I've had what I can only guess is tonsillitis (not strep) since last Friday night, which ruined my fun plans for last weekend.  Last night was the first time in 4 days I've been able to sleep through the night without waking up feeling like my throat was swelling shut.

So all the BS my boss put me through was almost completely for naught. No personal development plan, no discipline, nada. Zip, zilch, NOTHING!

While I'm releaved, the stress and emotional roller coaster I was put through was life changing. I was in some really dark dark places for a while. He tore the rug I've been building for 18 years right from under my feet, only to put it back and say "psyche".

It changed me. When he's in the room, I'm dead inside. No emotion, no thought, just dead. !

Edited by inkman

Took some freelance with my old company. Gives me a bit more to do, a bit more money, and I'm just rolling around in the irony that my boss's final words to me on my last day were "If you want work, you'll have to contact us. We won't contact you". Not even a full month later and they come round knocking needing my help. 

The complaint is that as I was finishing up my last week, I was instructed to delete all of my accounts on the messaging service/email. I did so. Now they need me ASAP, I have no accounts... and said boss is giving me guff for having deleted it all. 

Oh, they're so stupid. At least I'll be working with people I like, and if something's really dumb, I can just openly roll my eyes or yell. 

I still do not regret leaving. My mental health has improved greatly. I'm hoping just doing a bit of remote work doesn't get to me. If it does, I'll just quit for good. At least I can work with them on my terms as a freelancer. 

That and bloody hell I'm going to be broke when it comes to healthcare. Assuming it remains an option. I'll take the first job w/ benefits that'll have me in Buffalo in the spring. 

Edited by Josie914

It's been two weeks to the day since I've had the 'emergency' ultrasound and have not heard a single thing from my doctor. I assume there was nothing to see and am grateful for that. It's like I said, she was trying to scare me into quitting booze. Not cutting down or limiting. To her one drink is too many. For crying out loud I'm not a friggin idiot! My inner dirty rotten bastard makes me angry enough at her for putting me in that position at that time of year that I may move on to a new doctor.

It's been two weeks to the day since I've had the 'emergency' ultrasound and have not heard a single thing from my doctor. I assume there was nothing to see and am grateful for that. It's like I said, she was trying to scare me into quitting booze. Not cutting down or limiting. To her one drink is too many. For crying out loud I'm not a friggin idiot! My inner dirty rotten bastard makes me angry enough at her for putting me in that position at that time of year that I may move on to a new doctor.

Yikes. Did you end up telling your wife, or decide to wait for more info from the doc?

It's been a month since I turned my VW in and VW Credit still hasn't completely closed my account. My new auto loan just hit last week and my credit score took a huge dive because duh. Called VW Credit and the rep told me they're basically in the dark on the whole thing (VW paying VW Credit to close out leases) and that it's taking "weeks" for this to happen for most customers. FFS Volkswagen, people have lives you know? 

New to the passport thing.  Never had a plan to vacation internationally, and didn't have a work need, so I never got one.  Screw big brother and his "papers" anyway.  Well, now I have a work need so......

Applied for my passport just before Thanksgiving.  Supposedly they have a 4-6 week turnaround.  Which leads us to yesterday, still no passport.  Got online to check status and it simply said "Application is being reviewed". 

Helpful. 

Not. 

Called the listed number last night and the voice on the other end said basically, "Application being reviewed". 

Helpful. 

Not. 

So I asked the obvious.  "Is there anything indicating the reason for the delay, and any idea how much longer I can expect this to take?"  Response was "Do you have travel plans?".  "Why yes.  Yes I do.  In February."  She told me if I don't see something in the mail in the next day or two I should call the same number.  Sure.  I bet it will be more helpful the second time.  :rolleyes:

Which leads me to today....

Received a call from the passport Gestapo.  They tell me that my original birth certificate is not adequate proof of place of birth.  Apparently they don't accept hospital issued birth certificates anymore.  Must be a government issued birth certificate.  And they've been sitting on this little nugget of knowledge since before Thanksgiving.  Blood pressure rising.....

So, today I drove from south of Rochester into the city of Buffalo to visit City Hall.  15 minutes looking for parking, and a short walk to City Hall.  Enter the building and you have to empty your pockets and step through a metal detector.  Reach in my pockets and there is my trusty, carried everywhere pocketknife. Blood pressure rising more....   Walk back to my vehicle to ditch the pig sticker, and back to City Hall I go.  Up to the 13th floor.  Short line.  Blood pressure still rising....

And my birth certificate is in my hand literally moments later.  The beast is calmed.

So, now I need to mail it out and hope they get it processed before mid February or I may miss out on a training trip to Switzerland and southern Germany.  Of course, they tell me that I have up until 5 days before my trip to pay the extra $60 to expedite it.  The tinfoil hat wearer in me wants to believe it was going to cost me that extra 60 bucks all along.  :ph34r:

I feel your pain on this issue. I wasn't able to obtain a lerner's permit until I was almost 18 because the NY DMV would not accept my (military) hospital birth certificate either, and questioned my citizenship. I was not born in the United States, the Army sent the exact same one when we asked for it. It took my mother a few calls to our Congressman's office for it to be straightened out. I now have a birth certificate signed by the Secretary of State (at the time).

Paperwork....

Had a birth certificate issue when I went to switch from an NY to a PA drivers license. Brought my original birth certificate with Oneida County's seal on it. The lady says to me "we need the original birth certificate, the one with the bar code on it." to which I replied, "birth certificates didn't come with bar codes in 1985." To which she replied "well, that's the one I need." to which I replied "well, that one doesn't exist." To which she replied "Next!"

So a phone call to Albany, overnight shipping and $55 dollars later, I walked back into the DMV, cut a 2 hour line, walked straight to the same lady and said, "hi, you said I could come right back up here when I got this." and it f'n worked!

Fck cancer. Mom isn't doing very well so we're making the 5+ hour drive up there this weekend. If I could ever get my hands on cancer I'd kick its dirty ass and show it what a little bitch that it really is. Can't stand to hear her feeble and in tears. Wish I was close so I could oversee everything but I have to rely on my brothers and their kids. They're doing a horrible job. If I wasn't tapped out from the month+ unpaid leave and paying for a funeral, I'd hire a private nurse to look after her. I'm working OT and eating bologna trying to recoup the financial set back. Today would have been Dad's b-day and the guy running the job I'm on is a giant douche that I want to punch right in the face. When I get this frustrated I end up punching myself in the face because GD it, someone needs to get punched!

Fck cancer. Mom isn't doing very well so we're making the 5+ hour drive up there this weekend. If I could ever get my hands on cancer I'd kick its dirty ass and show it what a little bitch that it really is. Can't stand to hear her feeble and in tears. Wish I was close so I could oversee everything but I have to rely on my brothers and their kids. They're doing a horrible job. If I wasn't tapped out from the month+ unpaid leave and paying for a funeral, I'd hire a private nurse to look after her. I'm working OT and eating bologna trying to recoup the financial set back. Today would have been Dad's b-day and the guy running the job I'm on is a giant douche that I want to punch right in the face. When I get this frustrated I end up punching myself in the face because GD it, someone needs to get punched!

:'(

Bro. :(

My supervisor got fired yesterday.  I've never heard of anyone getting fired in this line of work; usually ineffective people are left to bring down the morale of others.  The timing is awful because we have an enormous project deadline in April and I'm now the only one here, but everyone above is happy with me (so far) and wants to make sure we all succeed, which is good.  I feel awful for the guy, though... he has 4 kids (one of whom is headed off to college next year) and his wife only works part-time, so he was the breadwinner.  :(  His firing wasn't undeserved, but it was out of the blue and I hope he'll be able to find something else in the next couple of weeks (they're paying him for another month or so).

Co-op blew up on our senior team leader. Standing in our meeting and telling him he's wrong and lying to him and that he can't be expected to do his job if our senior dev is going to do that to him

Went on for 30m. Not the best move for him I'd say. And our senior guy is the nicest, most friendly dude.

Edited by WildCard

Knee-jerk Reactions. Got a note at work that Elastic Search (search engine software) got hit by Ransomware and everyone should uninstall it. I don't use it, so I don't care, but 30 seconds of Google reveals that Elastic Search on the public internet that no one set any security like the manual says to is getting hit with Ransomware. Some of it is on the elastic search guys (and MongoDB recently) for shipping software that's wildly insecure by default, but the users have to be more responsible too.