Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

I may have to go back to grad school for a different degree to get to where I want to be. I had thought my experience would get me there, but I'm becoming more pessimistic on that front. Bleh.

If you are looking to do anything outside of the classroom, you will need a different degree.  I graduated from SUNY Geneseo with an Elementary and Special Education Degree and a minor in Spanish.  I taught 3 years at the primary level and then 7 at the high school level.  I then decided that I wanted to be a counselor.  My experience didn't matter.  I got my Masters from Johns Hopkins and now am set to do anything I would like at any level (teaching/counseling level, that is) and, if I finally decide to do what I need to do to get my LCPC, I can also work at a private practice or establish my own.  Each program is different.  JHU required 48 credits, some institutions do not; most require less.  You will be exempt from extra internship hours because of your teaching experience, so at least there is that :)

Counseling or higher education student personnel. Which don't exactly seem interchangeable to me, but it is what it is.

Big picture, they are one in the same.  K-12 level, you are looking at being labeled as a counselor.  Anything beyond the high school level, you're looking at being labeled as academic advisor, which falls under that "higher education personnel."  Potato, poh-tat-toe....the higher the level the more "sophisticated" the label.  Additionally, as an advisor, you will not have to delve too much into the social-emotional piece; you are mostly there to help with class selection and academic decisions.  As a counselor, your role is deeply rooted in the social-emotional, behavioral, and academic pieces.

A lot of you probably remember me complaining over the last year about the job here, and although I can't recall how much detail I ever gave about individual events, the short version is that the woman who was supposedly my supervisor was a terrible micromanager with a Napolean complex who generally made my life miserable.  In June of this past year, my "real" boss (the one above both she and I) gave me the opportunity to transfer to another group under her direction, and I did.  While the job itself is still boring and terribly unsatisfying, my new supervisor / coworker is a good guy who's generally pleasant to work with.

We're currently working through all the details of what must be done on our end to get the lab clinically certified, which is tedious, but we have two resources here who've gone through a similar process and have been tasked to act as consultants.  One of these people is doing so informally (just to help), and she's been great.  The other is doing so in a formal capacity after having been non-responsive for the first several months and now realizing that she will need to be the lab's "director" because she holds a certification that neither myself nor the actual lab manager possess.  This is supposed to be a title in name only, but apparently she's taken it as an excuse to jump in and take over everything.  It started out as mildly annoying, but it's gotten worse over the last week, and today she and my supervisor butted heads in a big way.  As he was describing the things she's said and done towards him, I realized it's EXACTLY how that horrible woman in my last position was treating me.  He's understandably frustrated and upset about the whole thing, and he has no idea how much I sympathize.  I came over here to get away from all the drama, and he's the same kind of person who just wants to do his work and be left alone, but it sounds like the drama is coming to us. 

So I stopped by my local for one drink tonight.  Ran into my friend B, who is always there.  He's a good guy.

I did leave after one; I wanted to grab some dinner.  This was about 630 pm.

About ten minutes ago (845 pm), I got a text.  The text was "881-3303."

That's the number for La Nova.  I thought so, but I actually called it to make sure.

I texted him back; why did you text me the number for a pizzeria?

Answer:  I want a pizza.

Me:  Are you home?

Him: Yes.

Me:  You have to actually call them to get the pizza.  

Him:  Let's talk tomorrow.

Me:  Good idea.

Him:  lol!!!!!

Whisky Tango Foxtrot on that whole exchange.  I hope he gets his pizza.

Edited by Eleven

So I stopped by my local for one drink tonight.  Ran into my friend B, who is always there.  He's a good guy.

I did leave after one; I wanted to grab some dinner.  This was about 630 pm.

About ten minutes ago (845 pm), I got a text.  The text was "881-3303."

That's the number for La Nova.  I thought so, but I actually called it to make sure.

I texted him back; why did you text me the number for a pizzeria?

Answer:  I want a pizza.

Me:  Are you home?

Him: Yes.

Me:  You have to actually call them to get the pizza.  

Him:  Let's talk tomorrow.

Me:  Good idea.

Him:  lol!!!!!

Whisky Tango Foxtrot on that whole exchange.  I hope he gets his pizza.

Does your friend frequent Decades Psychedelic Daze?

It's effing freezing at work today.  The weather took a bipolar turn from straight summer (high 70s yesterday) to winter (high 30s and snow today), and it's like they shut off the furnace and didn't bother to turn it back on.  BRRRR.

Also, the work dysfunction.  We're getting belated and sometimes conflicting information on how some of our regulatory paperwork needs to be done, and we found out on Tuesday afternoon that a -ton of stuff we never knew about is "due" on Friday (tomorrow).  And we're out of money because someone else overspent our budget.  Yay.

Whining here: As the time approaches for my VW to be bought back I've been undertaking some repairs on the $1000 Buick Roadmaster Wagon I bought to be a temporary replacement. I haven't driven the wagon much because I don't want it to have something catastrophic go wrong until the VW is out of my hands ( :blush: ). So obviously I'm thinking forward to what is going to replace the Roadmaster and quite frankly I've got no idea what to do. I look around the modern car landscape and I don't see anything that excites me too much. Everything is so...boring. 

I cut coffee and my life has been a lot less... sh!tty. Now it's just headaches. But then I ate something either last night or today that resulted in 15 minutes of both ways violent hell at work. 

Mine is a very unpredictable system.... and with all the panic attacks I've been having lately it's just... Dr. Kevorkian, paging Dr. Kevorkian..... 

I cut coffee and my life has been a lot less... sh!tty. Now it's just headaches. But then I ate something either last night or today that resulted in 15 minutes of both ways violent hell at work. 

Mine is a very unpredictable system.... and with all the panic attacks I've been having lately it's just... Dr. Kevorkian, paging Dr. Kevorkian..... 

Coffee and panic disorder do not mix well.

Stupid complaint, but teething.  Both boys cut 2 teeth at once.  Now both have their third tooth coming.  that's 6 teeth my wife and I are dealing with at once.  Orajel and that other natural stuff don't work for teething.  Ended up going old school and using a dab of whiskey to help the pain for the boys.  Oh, and Children's Tylenol doesn't do ...

My wife and I haven't slept more than 4 - 5 hours on any given night in almost 2 weeks.  I'm running on empty.  Might have my mom come and watch the boys Saturday, so we can just sleep.  I love my kids, but I just need 8 hours of sleep. 

Stupid complaint, but teething. Both boys cut 2 teeth at once. Now both have their third tooth coming. that's 6 teeth my wife and I are dealing with at once. Orajel and that other natural stuff don't work for teething. Ended up going old school and using a dab of whiskey to help the pain for the boys. Oh, and Children's Tylenol doesn't do ######...

My wife and I haven't slept more than 4 - 5 hours on any given night in almost 2 weeks. I'm running on empty. Might have my mom come and watch the boys Saturday, so we can just sleep. I love my kids, but I just need 8 hours of sleep.

Just wait until they discover what they can do with those teeth.

Stupid complaint, but teething.  Both boys cut 2 teeth at once.  Now both have their third tooth coming.  that's 6 teeth my wife and I are dealing with at once.  Orajel and that other natural stuff don't work for teething.  Ended up going old school and using a dab of whiskey to help the pain for the boys.  Oh, and Children's Tylenol doesn't do ######...

My wife and I haven't slept more than 4 - 5 hours on any given night in almost 2 weeks.  I'm running on empty.  Might have my mom come and watch the boys Saturday, so we can just sleep.  I love my kids, but I just need 8 hours of sleep. 

That sucks.... joys of parenting.   

Fun fact, I've saved both my boys teeth over the years and turned them into necklaces but they refuse to wear them.... I suppose that's my complaint for the day :(

Stupid complaint, but teething.  Both boys cut 2 teeth at once.  Now both have their third tooth coming.  that's 6 teeth my wife and I are dealing with at once.  Orajel and that other natural stuff don't work for teething.  Ended up going old school and using a dab of whiskey to help the pain for the boys.  Oh, and Children's Tylenol doesn't do ######...

We did Motrin when RosePIe was teething. The other thing, and I'm not convinced it isn't hippie-mumbo-jumbo, is amber necklaces. Once of twice we forgot it and it seemed correlate. It doesn't hurt.

http://blogs.babycenter.com/products_and_prizes/amber-teething-necklaces-do-they-work/

Shopping with my wife since 11am. This is awful. Just awful. This is the reason I wear clothes from 2003. Anything new that I own was bought online. This is the reason children are always missing at the mall. They aren't lost, they run away! No end in sight. I don't give a if anyone is judging me for sitting on the floor. Put some chairs in here! No end in sight.

Shopping with my wife since 11am. This is awful. Just ###### awful. This is the reason I wear clothes from 2003. Anything new that I own was bought online. This is the reason children are always missing at the mall. They aren't lost, they ###### run away! No end in sight. I don't give a ###### if anyone is judging me for sitting on the floor. Put some chairs in here! No end in sight.

RIP

Who TF gets 8 hours of sleep?!