Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

No matter how careful you are with your password, there's a chance that it'll be compromised in some other way. None the less, I find a good scheme for passwords is to use phrases that are easy to remember and type rather than "substitute 0 for o and whatnot" (hint: the password crackers know that trick and try the words with 0 and o).

You can choose your own theme, but an example could be "Buffalo Sabres", so you password would be "Christian Ruutu #21" or "Taro Tsujimoto #0". Complex (with all four character classes), unlikely to be randomly guessed, and longer than most would normally remember (those are 20 characters). Better yet, rotate themes each change (movies, book quotes, famous tank commanders, etc.). Even better yet, intentionally make mistakes so even if someone learns your pattern you might fool them. "Wayne Gretzky #98", for instance.

I wouldn't doubt that player names and numbers are in their databases. I think all we are left with now are programs like 1password to manage the important ones for us.

No matter how careful you are with your password, there's a chance that it'll be compromised in some other way. None the less, I find a good scheme for passwords is to use phrases that are easy to remember and type rather than "substitute 0 for o and whatnot" (hint: the password crackers know that trick and try the words with 0 and o).

You can choose your own theme, but an example could be "Buffalo Sabres", so you password would be "Christian Ruutu #21" or "Taro Tsujimoto #0". Complex (with all four character classes), unlikely to be randomly guessed, and longer than most would normally remember (those are 20 characters). Better yet, rotate themes each change (movies, book quotes, famous tank commanders, etc.). Even better yet, intentionally make mistakes so even if someone learns your pattern you might fool them. "Wayne Gretzky #98", for instance.

I like all of these ideas.  But my issue is when I have to do 25 unique ones in a row and then try to remember which one I went with every month.  I do appreciate the risks involved with someone hacking into my account but I really think I should have the say in how unique my password is and how often I decide to change it.

I wouldn't doubt that player names and numbers are in their databases. I think all we are left with now are programs like 1password to manage the important ones for us.

True, but it depends on what attack vector we're talking about. If we're talking about guessing, I'd hope that most of the sites we're talking about have password guessing rate limits and lock outs after X bad guesses. If we're talking about someone stealing an encrypted password database, I'd think player names would be long enough and far enough down the list that it'll buy you time (assuming the encryption is well done, of course). Even if the encryption is not that good (no salting, for instance) most Rainbow tables aren't going to go out to 20 characters. To sum up, longer less complex is better than short, complex passwords, and phrases are a lot easier to remember than complex strings.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/06/password-complexity-rules-more-annoying-less-effective-than-length-ones/

I do concede your point though, I'm just paranoid about losing the keys to the kingdom with a centralized password management solution (either actually losing the db or having that get compromised).

EDIT: This is a nice article on the subject (linked from the above):

http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/05/how-crackers-make-minced-meat-out-of-your-passwords/3/

Edited by MattPie

True, but it depends on what attack vector we're talking about. If we're talking about guessing, I'd hope that most of the sites we're talking about have password guessing rate limits and lock outs after X bad guesses. If we're talking about someone stealing an encrypted password database, I'd think player names would be long enough and far enough down the list that it'll buy you time (assuming the encryption is well done, of course). Even if the encryption is not that good (no salting, for instance) most Rainbow tables aren't going to go out to 20 characters. To sum up, longer less complex is better than short, complex passwords, and phrases are a lot easier to remember than complex strings.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/06/password-complexity-rules-more-annoying-less-effective-than-length-ones/

I do concede your point though, I'm just paranoid about losing the keys to the kingdom with a centralized password management solution (either actually losing the db or having that get compromised).

EDIT: This is a nice article on the subject (linked from the above):

http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/05/how-crackers-make-minced-meat-out-of-your-passwords/3/

I don't think this is true anymore. I just recently read that entire words can now be treated as single entities, i. e. letters. So, a 30 character string of five dictionary words is equivalent to a five letter string.

I don't think this is true anymore. I just recently read that entire words can now be treated as single entities, i. e. letters. So, a 30 character string of five dictionary words is equivalent to a five letter string.

It's mentioned in the second link, I think, but the dictionaries they use have to be small or combining words spirals in complexity quickly. The crackers will use the top 1000 or 10000 words, so if you keep out of those you'll be in better shape. The interesting thing I saw in there is they'll use the strings the find first on a given site as the dictionary when they ratchet up the complexity. It makes sense, since in a lot of cases a system will attract similar people and similar passwords. There's undoubtedly a user or 3 here whose password is "sabres", so for the later passes they'll feed that back in as part of the dictionary. Some user thinks they're being clever with a password like "Sabres1970#394ever" but really that's not as strong as you'd think because individuals have used each of the components in their crappy passwords. Interesting stuff. I guess the best system (other than completely random) is to use long passwords with obscure words with intentional misspellings.

Of course, part of this experiment is that the password list in the articles is using MD5, which is a terrible hash for passwords. If they used a better hash (SHA256, for instance), then these attacks become far more computationally difficult and take a lot longer.

Gamecenter on my PS3 and Phone is really shaky tonight, I need to watch the SuperTankBowl. All I get is moments and freeze, moment and freeze, moment and never come back. At least watching on my laptop and forcing the quality to low is giving my somewhat jumpy vision but not stopping.

Gamecenter on my PS3 and Phone is really shaky tonight, I need to watch the SuperTankBowl. All I get is moments and freeze, moment and freeze, moment and never come back. At least watching on my laptop and forcing the quality to low is giving my somewhat jumpy vision but not stopping.

I keep getting loading error on AppleTV, as well.

We were all set to put a deposit down on a new home construction but my 31 year old wife won't do it because her mother doesn't approve.  You know, the mother who lives 800 miles away, has been to this area once yet somehow knows it better than we do.  Her 70-something year old friend lives somewhere else, so we should too.  She now wants to come down in April with her sister and look at homes with us because somehow these two women who have never lifted a hammer in their lives and live in homes older than them somehow know everything there is to know about home construction.  I have no idea how to undo 31 years of being told your opinion doesn't matter, but sooner or later it's going to drive me away.

I've got a few...

- The CTO of my company sent a meeting invite yesterday where the subject was "exciting announcement". That's it...no other details. Her direct reports (which include my boss) know what's going on, but obviously won't tell. The meeting is tomorrow morning, so all day yesterday and likely all day today, there's going to be rumoring and gossiping about what it is. Ugh...just shut up so I can get some work done.

- Why do people drive 50mph on a highway? At least they're in the right lane, but this always happens within a mile of my exit and I have to get behind them and slow down enough that a turtle could pass me.

- The wife has a cold and she's miserable. The worst part is that she's not drinking orange juice or taking zinc supplements or just resting. She works from home and decided to take a half-day yesterday and then proceeded to clean the up the family room. That part is great, but I'd rather she take a nap and chill.

- My office is a very open environment. We all have cubicles, where we used to have offices. This is supposed to foster good communication and team-building, right? Yes...except for the numerous times when there are 3 conversations at once and within each conversation, each person is trying to talk over everyone else to get their point across.

Whew...I feel better now.  :P

We were all set to put a deposit down on a new home construction but my 31 year old wife won't do it because her mother doesn't approve. You know, the mother who lives 800 miles away, has been to this area once yet somehow knows it better than we do. Her 70-something year old friend lives somewhere else, so we should too. She now wants to come down in April with her sister and look at homes with us because somehow these two women who have never lifted a hammer in their lives and live in homes older than them somehow know everything there is to know about home construction. I have no idea how to undo 31 years of being told your opinion doesn't matter, but sooner or later it's going to drive me away.

Is buying a home where you are living the most cost effective way to live? If so, create an expense report, project out five and ten years or so, have your wife sign off on the report, and send it to her mother with an agreement that she will sign it and shut the f*ck up. If she won't sign the agreement then you have your flag to wave.

We were all set to put a deposit down on a new home construction but my 31 year old wife won't do it because her mother doesn't approve.  You know, the mother who lives 800 miles away, has been to this area once yet somehow knows it better than we do.  Her 70-something year old friend lives somewhere else, so we should too.  She now wants to come down in April with her sister and look at homes with us because somehow these two women who have never lifted a hammer in their lives and live in homes older than them somehow know everything there is to know about home construction.  I have no idea how to undo 31 years of being told your opinion doesn't matter, but sooner or later it's going to drive me away.

Whoa there, big fella. 

A mother-in-law is a PITA.  That's one of the laws of nature and you don't get some special exemption just because you have 17K posts.  (I can assure you that mods don't get this exemption either.)

Your special exemption comes in the form of her living 800 miles away and thus not being planted on your couch and voicing her opinions every night when you get home from work.

Yes, your wife probably defers to her mom's opinions too much.  There are many worse qualities that a wife can have. 

Let's not forget that you are most likely bringing plenty of your own baggage to this blessed union.

My advice:  instead of getting PO'd about this and demanding that your wife ignore her mother, which is just going to create a bunch of unnecessary stress and conflict, stay cool and figure out how you can cheerfully and logically achieve your desired outcome.  This is going to involve figuring out the elements that your MIL thinks are important in home-buying -- some of which will be ridiculous, because, like all MILs, her head is at least partially situated in rectum -- and demonstrating that the house you want will deliver the goods.  And if you show your wife that you're trying to both get the right house and satisfy her mom, your wife will probably appreciate it and help you in your efforts.

Just remember -- when you play the game of thrones, you win or you die.

The problem is that the only quality the MIL finds important in a home purchase is that it is in New England.  It is so blatantly obvious that she is trying to sabotage our move and we both know it.  I think the rest of the family would be shocked to hear the things she says to us when no one else is around.  Thank god for this thread because I can only bite my tongue for so long.

My last sentence was a bit much, but trust me, I'm holding off on saying so much more.  What it really amounts to is that the same house we both want at this stage is probably going to cost us about $30k more in a few months and we'll get it on a plot of land about half the size, so you can understand my state of mind right now.

edit: And on a slightly related note, if you are looking at new home builders, tread carefully if you want to look at online reviews for them.  At one site I looked at last night, their highest rated builder in the country rated in at an average of 3.5 stars in a 6 star system.  Only the negative comments make it online.

Edited by shrader

The problem is that the only quality the MIL finds important in a home purchase is that it is in New England. It is so blatantly obvious that she is trying to sabotage our move and we both know it. I think the rest of the family would be shocked to hear the things she says to us when no one else is around. Thank god for this thread because I can only bite my tongue for so long.

My last sentence was a bit much, but trust me, I'm holding off on saying so much more. What it really amounts to is that the same house we both want at this stage is probably going to cost us about $30k more in a few months and we'll get it on a plot of land about half the size, so you can understand my state of mind right now.

edit: And on a slightly related note, if you are looking at new home builders, tread carefully if you want to look at online reviews for them. At one site I looked at last night, their highest rated builder in the country rated in at an average of 3.5 stars in a 6 star system. Only the negative comments make it online.

Ask mother in law how much she wants to contribute to the mortgage of the home she chooses for you. Perhaps that extra $30k?

The problem is that the only quality the MIL finds important in a home purchase is that it is in New England.  It is so blatantly obvious that she is trying to sabotage our move and we both know it.  I think the rest of the family would be shocked to hear the things she says to us when no one else is around.  Thank god for this thread because I can only bite my tongue for so long.

My last sentence was a bit much, but trust me, I'm holding off on saying so much more.  What it really amounts to is that the same house we both want at this stage is probably going to cost us about $30k more in a few months and we'll get it on a plot of land about half the size, so you can understand my state of mind right now.

edit: And on a slightly related note, if you are looking at new home builders, tread carefully if you want to look at online reviews for them.  At one site I looked at last night, their highest rated builder in the country rated in at an average of 3.5 stars in a 6 star system.  Only the negative comments make it online.

My experience with having a new home built was an absolute nightmare.  Be careful.  I don't think I'd ever put money down on a pre-built "sight unseen" home again. You have no assurance that what you (eventually) get matches what you expected to get. Having a good lawyer saved me (I successfully sued the builder).

I think the old real estate adages ring true:

1. Buy the builder, not the home - I didn't pay attention to this and got burned

2. Buy the location, not the home - land is an appreciating asset and a home is a depreciating asset. If you have the right location you'll make money regardless of some cosmetic blemishes to the structure.

Brian WIlliams. Always figured he was an asshat of the highest order, given some of his celebrity performances that don't befit a news anchor. The scandal only confirms it. How can one possibly "misremember" being shot down in a helicopter?

uhmm  Hillary Clinton....

That's rough Shrader.  I have a MIL that has to stick her nose in our business constantly and it gets so frustrating.  She lives about 3 hours away and was insistent we move near her rather than a house 15 minutes from my place of employment.  I'm the breadwinner and my wife was unemployed at the time, how does that make any sense at all to move up there?  Eventually you have to speak to your wife and discuss the pros and cons (as has been mentioned) and also speak to your MIL and discuss the same things.  It's really none of her business what house you and your wife decide to buy and I can't blame you for wanting her to but the out.  However, for the sake of your relationship try to go about it with the facts.  At the end of the day she's not living there and keep reminding her of that.  If it's anything like my MIL she came around about 6 months after we had moved in and the issue has only rarely been brought up again.

Kids can't take PB&J to school because some kids have a peanut allergy ,,,,,,,,yet those with no vaccines can attend.....wake the fukc up people

I read a story this morning that pediatricians are going to refuse service to unvaccinated children because they don't want to lose their patients who plan to vaccinate. This is going to end up being a Supreme Court issue at this rate.

I read a story this morning that pediatricians are going to refuse service to unvaccinated children because they don't want to lose their patients who plan to vaccinate. This is going to end up being a Supreme Court issue at this rate.

There are a number of doctors who are doing this. They have every right to do so.

Our pediatricians -- who have the biggest practice in my (highly "limousine liberal" neighborhood that has plenty of airhead anti-vaxx types) -- have a big sign in their waiting room informing all parents that they will not accept unvaccinated kids as patients.