Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

Had a great night last night with my kid. Went downstairs and listened to loud music (turns out, she's a Rush fan). I jammed on bass along with them and she jumped around and danced and giggled. Kept her up over an hour past her usual bedtime because we were having so much fun,...

and then she threw up,... on me,... all over herself,... on the rug,...

Had a great night last night with my kid. Went downstairs and listened to loud music (turns out, she's a Rush fan). I jammed on bass along with them and she jumped around and danced and giggled. Kept her up over an hour past her usual bedtime because we were having so much fun,...

The mushrooms were probably a bad idea.....

Focus on the fun you two had.

I hope / believe it vastly outweighed the clean up afterwards ...  :thumbsup:

Really did not mean to still be at work this late, and REALLY not looking forward to going outside.

Also: the movie Lucy.  I missed it in theaters this summer, but it looked good so when it was released at Redbox this past Tues., I rented it.  I'm normally a big fan of the summer blockbuster-type movie and can happily suspend disbelief for a fun story as long as the movie kind of establishes a set of rules for itself and sticks to them.  I don't know if it's because I'm a scientist or if it really was just bad, but I did not like it.  It started okay but went downhill quickly, and the whole premise was just absurd.  So, so many holes in the logic / storyline.  Thankfully it was short.

Hahahahaha, Lucy.  "I remember the taste of your milk in my mouth."   What a terrible movie.

Ubkev, you're a good man, I hope she feels better soon.  :(

I'm getting so sick of living with my Mom.  I don't have the patience to co-exist with her.  I can't just move out and get an apartment, though, because my gramma hasn't been doing well over the past few months and my strength is needed to get her to bed at night.  I guess we'll have to figure out a system once I transfer to a real college next Spring, maybe we can figure it out sooner.

Focus on the fun you two had.

I hope / believe it vastly outweighed the clean up afterwards ...  :thumbsup:

Absolutely.

On a side note, I would just like to thank all the New Jersey taxpayers out there. The new bathroom that you bought me made it much easier to clean up that whole mess.

I have a student giving me some trouble. 

The class and I are really starting to connect- illustration crits have a way of relaxing everyone and going off on tangents that get the whole room laughing (for some reason last night, Tremors and Demolition Man kept coming up). The kids work harder on their projects after and have more fun. It's really a beautiful thing. I love it.

But this one... She refuses to work in any process, she shuts down and gets depressed when critted etc. I wanna help this kid- I just don't know how. Not yet, anyways. Someone really needs to set her straight about some things but I don't have the authority/experience yet. 

She has a style that is incredibly high school but the rest of the class keeps encouraging her because she gets so upset. Enabling. Then when I give her honest crit/lower grades, she acts like I've somehow sentenced her to death. Makes me feel terrible. Argh. 

I wonder if I'll give this many shits about students like this in a few years... or if they'll all just kind of blend together and I'll write them off. Ugh. I worry too much. I don't want to fail anybody, as in grading OR in life. 

I have a student giving me some trouble.

The class and I are really starting to connect- illustration crits have a way of relaxing everyone and going off on tangents that get the whole room laughing (for some reason last night, Tremors and Demolition Man kept coming up). The kids work harder on their projects after and have more fun. It's really a beautiful thing. I love it.

But this one... She refuses to work in any process, she shuts down and gets depressed when critted etc. I wanna help this kid- I just don't know how. Not yet, anyways. Someone really needs to set her straight about some things but I don't have the authority/experience yet.

She has a style that is incredibly high school but the rest of the class keeps encouraging her because she gets so upset. Enabling. Then when I give her honest crit/lower grades, she acts like I've somehow sentenced her to death. Makes me feel terrible. Argh.

I wonder if I'll give this many shits about students like this in a few years... or if they'll all just kind of blend together and I'll write them off. Ugh. I worry too much. I don't want to fail anybody, as in grading OR in life.

You're the expert. Remember that. Some of these kids might have more talent than you did at their age but they're not the ones teaching the class and doing illustration for a living.

You're not there to be nice to kids who don't want to do the work as dictated by you.

The question I have is, is problem student capable? Or is she simply not on the level with her peers?

You're the expert. Remember that. Some of these kids might have more talent than you did at their age but they're not the ones teaching the class and doing illustration for a living.

You're not there to be nice to kids who don't want to do the work as dictated by you.

The question I have is, is problem student capable? Or is she simply not on the level with her peers?

I thought problem kid was capable at first. I actually think she's not on the same level as a lot of the other students now.

That being said, I have some of the most talented artists I have ever encountered in this class, and quite a few of them- she's got some stiff competition. She has talent, but she's very average for her year. That's not a bad thing, she's right about where I expect most students to be, but half the class is just blowing it out of the water. She has great crits/comments for everyone else and participates in class, but has no eye for her own work. 

I've been pretty blunt with her about the process. Explaining has given way to "them's the rules, kid, it gets worse when you graduate". She just gets all despondent and makes me feel like Hitler. Sullen. It sucks. I equal parts want to smack her and hug her. 

I thought problem kid was capable at first. I actually think she's not on the same level as a lot of the other students now.

That being said, I have some of the most talented artists I have ever encountered in this class, and quite a few of them- she's got some stiff competition. She has talent, but she's very average for her year. That's not a bad thing, she's right about where I expect most students to be, but half the class is just blowing it out of the water. She has great crits/comments for everyone else and participates in class, but has no eye for her own work.

I've been pretty blunt with her about the process. Explaining has given way to "them's the rules, kid, it gets worse when you graduate". She just gets all despondent and makes me feel like Hitler. Sullen. It sucks. I equal parts want to smack her and hug her.

I want to give you a nice, sensitive, clever way to handle her, but I've got nothing. Failing her just fails her, but if there's nothing you can do with her then there's not really any other option.

I want to give you a nice, sensitive, clever way to handle her, but I've got nothing. Failing her just fails her, but if there's nothing you can do with her then there's not really any other option.

I'm staying positive that an answer/way in will make itself apparent eventually. 

I don't believe in failing kids unless they're just totally blowing me off and not trying. She tries but... oof. We'll see.

But yeah, you nicely summed up my wordy ranted dilemma there. 

My old lady had surgery yesterday morning. All went well, no complications, just standard discomfort and pain. Fast Forward to today. Pain multiplied by 10, light and noise sensitivity, she has to sleep sitting up in the recliner in my man cave in total darkness and silence because of the headaches. She can only take half a percocet at a time because a whole one makes her nauseous, and who wants to throw up after they've had their face torn off and bashed in. I don't mind waiting on her hand and foot, I really don't. I just want her to be done with this pain. I ###### hate seeing her this way and there isn't a damn thing I can do about it.

:( I hope she's better soon, ubkev!  That sounds pretty awful.

This was my Tuesday night:

1.  Disembark plane at BWI for layover.  Find out next leg is delayed from 8 pm to 930 pm.

2.  Seek out a sit-down restaurant at airport, sit next to drunk dude from Albany who is having a conversation with the entire restaurant.

3.  While at said restaurant, receive call from my bank; my card numbers have been stolen.  Second time in two months.  I was traveling both times.

4.  Next leg is further delayed, now to 1210 am. 

5.  Layover becomes stayover.

###### you, Southwest.  You were my second-least favorite airline to begin with, but now you've eclipsed even Delta.

I've actually had good luck with Delta, but that stinks, man.  Glad you bank is at least being vigilant on checking your accounts.

eeeewww... well at least it was fun up until then.

Hahahahaha, Lucy.  "I remember the taste of your milk in my mouth."   What a terrible movie.

Ubkev, you're a good man, I hope she feels better soon.  :(

I'm getting so sick of living with my Mom.  I don't have the patience to co-exist with her.  I can't just move out and get an apartment, though, because my gramma hasn't been doing well over the past few months and my strength is needed to get her to bed at night.  I guess we'll have to figure out a system once I transfer to a real college next Spring, maybe we can figure it out sooner.

Right?!  That line was so unnecessary and creepy.

I'm staying positive that an answer/way in will make itself apparent eventually.

I don't believe in failing kids unless they're just totally blowing me off and not trying. She tries but... oof. We'll see.

But yeah, you nicely summed up my wordy ranted dilemma there.

I don't get art. Seriously, you're the only artistic person that I "know". I find your situations with students interesting though. I am very NOT artistic, I just remember taking art as an elective Jr year of high school thinking it would be an easy A and a good way to talk to a particular girl, boy did that suck. I would finish a portrait or a landscape and my teacher would hand it back and say "this is a very nice start." Nice start? I'm finished!

Good luck finding your way to get through. I teach certain classes at work and it's always harder when everyone is grasping and advancing through the material except one or two.

Complaint? Here's my complaint.

It's getting to the end of the season, perhaps the end of The Tank. There've been two camps, the tankers and the non-tankers and tensions between them have come to the surface the last few days.

This has been evidenced by the increasing amount of "meta-threads" or side conversations going on in a thread that have nothing to do with the thread. In several instances it's degenerated down to personal criticisms between particular members. I'm not going to name names or take sides, but I will say this: If you have a problem with someone else - the way they talk of The Tank or Zemgus's injury or the way they express their opinion of a given trade, maybe say something once, say your piece and then shut up about it. We really don't want to witness the sniping back and forth and just because you get the last word in doesn't mean you're right. So say your piece and then leave it alone. If you still have a disagreement with a particular member, take it up in a PM with that person.

Also, try to stay on topic. The Pysyk thread hasn't discussed Pysyk for a while now; it's a discussion of possible rule changes intended to increase scoring. A fine discussion but it shouldn't be in that thread.

Summary:

1. Quit yer bitchin' at each other in threads that aren't about bitchin'.

2. Stay on topic.

3. Get off my lawn you rotten kids.

Edited by Neuvichs Perchatka

Yea but who cares if people want to talk about old nhl rules in the pysyk thread? Who cares if one person says one speculation in the deadline thread? Why does anyone actually care about this stuff?

And then if you do care, either post if here or PM the person or tell a mod. Thread policing is just as dumb because no one cares about a member telling another member what posts/topics to use.

It's a forum, a dying method of Internet communication. The last thing this place needs is everyone whining and tank telling people where to post.

I care because if we all show a little consideration and try to be a bit more conscientious then it lightens the workload on the admins, they don't have to be vilified as being heavy handed in their admin duties and when I see an update to the Pysyk thread I know someone's talking about Pysyk and not whether moving the blue line would or wouldn't increase scoring. I just see all the tangents as a pain in the ass, and the sniping between members is getting old.

I'd rather have a situation where thread policing isn't needed because everyone is cool.

Edited by Neuvichs Perchatka

I care because if we all show a little consideration and try to be a bit more conscientious then it lightens the workload on the admins, they don't have to be vilified as being heavy handed in their admin duties and when I see an update to the Pysyk thread I know someone's talking about Pysyk and not whether moving the blue line would or wouldn't increase scoring. I just see all the tangents as a pain in the ass, and the sniping between members is getting old.

Yeah, well you smell like dootie.

:p