Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

I'm getting an early start on my Thursday complaining this week.  Probably won't entirely make sense, but I'll feel better writing it out, anyhow.

Funding for academic research freaking sucks.  My boss thought he had enough funds set aside from his startup to continue covering me through June, after which we'd need do get another grant or internal funding.  Okay.  About two weeks ago we finally hear back that a grant he'd submitted was approved for funding (and there was much rejoicing).  Problem solved, right?  Wrong.  We have no idea when those grant funds will actually be available to us, and since my current appointment expires at the end of March, we need to submit the paperwork for an extension in the next two weeks.  And something was miscalculated because after factoring in the grad student's stipend, there isn't enough left in the startup funds to cover me and still leave us money for supplies.  My former boss, who has asked a few times about me rejoining her lab, had told me a few weeks ago that her postdoc will be leaving in May or June and she'll have 6 months of funding left if I want to come back.  I'd told my current boss this could be an option if the two of them could work something out to divide my time / salary, but it's not an attractive option at all, and now it looks like we'll need to explore it.  The type of work I'm doing now cannot easily be done on a part-time basis, and as much as I like my old boss as a person, I really don't want to work for her again because she's frustrating as a boss and the work itself is uninteresting.  That, and I think my current boss only wants to do this on a very temporary basis until the other grant funds are available, while my old boss would prefer something longer-term.  And I get to be stuck in the middle, potentially working for both of them and doing neither job satisfactorily.  All better than being unemployed in April or May, but still really sucks.

My old lady had surgery yesterday morning. All went well, no complications, just standard discomfort and pain. Fast Forward to today. Pain multiplied by 10, light and noise sensitivity, she has to sleep sitting up in the recliner in my man cave in total darkness and silence because of the headaches. She can only take half a percocet at a time because a whole one makes her nauseous, and who wants to throw up after they've had their face torn off and bashed in. I don't mind waiting on her hand and foot, I really don't. I just want her to be done with this pain. I hate seeing her this way and there isn't a damn thing I can do about it.

I'm getting an early start on my Thursday complaining this week. Probably won't entirely make sense, but I'll feel better writing it out, anyhow.

Funding for academic research freaking sucks. My boss thought he had enough funds set aside from his startup to continue covering me through June, after which we'd need do get another grant or internal funding. Okay. About two weeks ago we finally hear back that a grant he'd submitted was approved for funding (and there was much rejoicing). Problem solved, right? Wrong. We have no idea when those grant funds will actually be available to us, and since my current appointment expires at the end of March, we need to submit the paperwork for an extension in the next two weeks. And something was miscalculated because after factoring in the grad student's stipend, there isn't enough left in the startup funds to cover me and still leave us money for supplies. My former boss, who has asked a few times about me rejoining her lab, had told me a few weeks ago that her postdoc will be leaving in May or June and she'll have 6 months of funding left if I want to come back. I'd told my current boss this could be an option if the two of them could work something out to divide my time / salary, but it's not an attractive option at all, and now it looks like we'll need to explore it. The type of work I'm doing now cannot easily be done on a part-time basis, and as much as I like my old boss as a person, I really don't want to work for her again because she's frustrating as a boss and the work itself is uninteresting. That, and I think my current boss only wants to do this on a very temporary basis until the other grant funds are available, while my old boss would prefer something longer-term. And I get to be stuck in the middle, potentially working for both of them and doing neither job satisfactorily. All better than being unemployed in April or May, but still really sucks.

I don't know, funemployment can be fun...

My old lady had surgery yesterday morning. All went well, no complications, just standard discomfort and pain. Fast Forward to today. Pain multiplied by 10, light and noise sensitivity, she has to sleep sitting up in the recliner in my man cave in total darkness and silence because of the headaches. She can only take half a percocet at a time because a whole one makes her nauseous, and who wants to throw up after they've had their face torn off and bashed in. I don't mind waiting on her hand and foot, I really don't. I just want her to be done with this pain. I ###### hate seeing her this way and there isn't a damn thing I can do about it.

:(

I'm sick of hearing my uninformed co-workers discuss the Sabres every morning. Every day I arrive to work hearing things like "GMTM should go down and take over coaching from Nolan and play all the backups. That will ensure we get last place!". Guys we're bad enough as it is. Maybe historically bad. We don't need the tinfoil hat brigade. Each day it is a new crazy scenario, makes me want to stab them with a dull spoon. :anger:

I'm sick of hearing my uninformed co-workers discuss the Sabres every morning. Every day I arrive to work hearing things like "GMTM should go down and take over coaching from Nolan and play all the backups. That will ensure we get last place!". Guys we're bad enough as it is. Maybe historically bad. We don't need the tinfoil hat brigade. Each day it is a new crazy scenario, makes me want to stab them with a dull spoon. :anger:

Schoop, and Jeremy White, as well as many here, would say that you are the one who is uninformed. :devil:

Schoop, and Jeremy White, as well as many here, would say that you are the one who is uninformed. :devil:

Yep that's probably the crux of the matter. The wgr550 faithful that listen to them as if they were gospel. Heck, I think Schoop and the Bulldog did an hour long segment yesterday on trading away Neuvirth for nothing or forcing Noan to play Lindback

You coworkers sound 1000% more informed than mine on the Sabres. My coworkers don't know who the GM is, who McEichel is, the names of more than 3 players or what this season is about. All I hear is "Sabres suck". :rolleyes:

I have to sign in each and every time I want to comment in the Aud Club. Why can't I just stay signed in until I wan to sign out?

Any way to improve this?

Isn't there a box you can check on the sign-in page that says something like "keep me signed in?"

Yep that's probably the crux of the matter. The wgr550 faithful that listen to them as if they were gospel. Heck, I think Schoop and the Bulldog did an hour long segment yesterday on trading away Neuvirth for nothing or forcing Noan to play Lindback

Schopp is near nervous breakdown status. He is demanding GMTM tell Nolan who to play to ensure they lose.

You coworkers sound 1000% more informed than mine on the Sabres. My coworkers don't know who the GM is, who McEichel is, the names of more than 3 players or what this season is about. All I hear is "Sabres suck". :rolleyes:

I think I would rather them just be completely oblivious. They have a McDavid board that tracks the standings, so they understand the goal, they have just been indoctrinated into the Schopp mindset of "lets force Nolan to bench all the starters, call up all the bad AHL players, tell the players not to try" etc. Listening to that every morning is driving me nuts. I don't have the energy to argue the team's futlity metrics with them, its hard enough talking some of SabreSpace off the ledge.

This was my Tuesday night:

1.  Disembark plane at BWI for layover.  Find out next leg is delayed from 8 pm to 930 pm.

2.  Seek out a sit-down restaurant at airport, sit next to drunk dude from Albany who is having a conversation with the entire restaurant.

3.  While at said restaurant, receive call from my bank; my card numbers have been stolen.  Second time in two months.  I was traveling both times.

4.  Next leg is further delayed, now to 1210 am. 

5.  Layover becomes stayover.

you, Southwest.  You were my second-least favorite airline to begin with, but now you've eclipsed even Delta.

This was my Tuesday night:

1.  Disembark plane at BWI for layover.  Find out next leg is delayed from 8 pm to 930 pm.

2.  Seek out a sit-down restaurant at airport, sit next to drunk dude from Albany who is having a conversation with the entire restaurant.

3.  While at said restaurant, receive call from my bank; my card numbers have been stolen.  Second time in two months.  I was traveling both times.

4.  Next leg is further delayed, now to 1210 am. 

5.  Layover becomes stayover.

###### you, Southwest.  You were my second-least favorite airline to begin with, but now you've eclipsed even Delta.

While I can't speak to your experiences, my old job had me traveling every week of the year, and Southwest is by far the best airline.

You would never catch me on a Delta or United flight unless there was no other choice. F those guys.

While I can't speak to your experiences, my old job had me traveling every week of the year, and Southwest is by far the best airline.

You would never catch me on a Delta or United flight unless there was no other choice. F those guys.

United is the worst. The. Worst. I don't mind Southwest, although not a big fan of the open seating. Give me Jet Blue any day.

The panic on WGR is pretty amazing to listen to.

United is the worst. The. Worst. I don't mind Southwest, although not a big fan of the open seating. Give me Jet Blue any day.

The panic on WGR is pretty amazing to listen to.

Yes, JetBlue.

I don't understand why Southwest can't reserve seats like every other airline on the planet.