What word would you use to describe the Buffalo Sabres this morning?

PASabreFan

What word would you use to describe the Buffalo Sabres this morning?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. What word would you use to describe the Buffalo Sabres this morning?

• Resurgent
    • Resplendent
    • Rock-hard
    • Surging
    • Streaking
    • Revitalized
    • Refurbished
    • Unstoppable
    • Rocketing
    • Red-hot
    • Something else

• PASabreFan changed the title to What word would you use to describe the Buffalo Sabres this morning?
5 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Last night:  Lucky

For the season: inconsistent, mediocre, incompetent, cooked, etc….

I’ve been trying so hard to reclaim mediocre for it’s true meaning: average. But doesn’t look like that’s gonna happen 

mediocre teams make the playoffs 

23 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I’ve been trying so hard to reclaim mediocre for it’s true meaning: average. But doesn’t look like that’s gonna happen 

mediocre teams make the playoffs 

I feel like mediocre has the the intonation that it’s slightly below average. If a team was being referred to as mediocre, I would expect them to be in the 17th-20th range. 

Just now, sabresparaavida said:

I feel like mediocre has the the intonation that it’s slightly below average. If a team was being referred to as mediocre, I would expect them to be in the 17th-20th range. 

It seems to have that connotation yes, perhaps I’m the only one who seemingly adheres to the strict definition which allows for/specifically mentions “average”. But probably colloquially pointless at this point I guess, to your point 

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It seems to have that connotation yes, perhaps I’m the only one who seemingly adheres to the strict definition which allows for/specifically mentions “average”. But probably colloquially pointless at this point I guess, to your point 

Yeah, I’d guess it mainly stems from people preferring to just use average when things are average, and that morphed mediocre to “baseline competence” or “slightly below average”. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

Yeah, I’d guess it mainly stems from people preferring to just use average when things are average, and that morphed mediocre to “baseline competence” or “slightly below average”. 

Ya I just read a definition I liked that stated it as “average, but in the case one wanted more”. So, average yet still at the same time disappointing.

that’s kinda the way I use it but ya, can’t be denied it’s used more often as “slightly below” 

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.