Geezers check in

Doohickie

15 hours ago, JohninMinn. said:

67yrs old Class of 74.  50 year reunion this year. Looking forward to visiting the old stomping grounds. 

Grateful to be alive. Them 70's and 80's were a blur...😅

It’s a bit funny you mentioned reunions because the kid (he’s 9) asked what a reunion was the other day while visiting the grandparents for Sunday dinner. We explained it to him and my mom mentioned my dad should be having his 50th this year, but they won’t have one. So the kid asked grandpa why. My dad grew up in a “less than stellar” (his words) part of Buffalo in the 60s and 70s and told the 9 year old there was no need for reunions because the class stuck together since everyone attended Attica for post-secondary education and most of the class are still there. Went over the kid’s head but I was laughing.

We drove past the house my dad grew up in a few times going to the Broadway Market on Good Friday when I still lived at home. It’s over by ECMC. Compared to the Rochester suburbs that I grew up in, “less than stellar” is an apt description.

I always thought this place smelled a little funny...

Not always; but a lot of times, you can have a solid idea of what the person's age is based on their posts. That would have been a real fun game....

I have always found that spotting a person my age or younger is rather easy. They tend to state their opinions as facts with no supporting evidence to back their thoughts up. When they do provide evidence - it is usually someone else's work they carefully select to make their point. 

In any event - great thread!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

So this board is basically angry old men trying to teach slightly less angry, somewhat younger men how to reach their full potential?

Not quite.  More like the old men telling the young men they don't know *****.

• Haha (+1) 3

48 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Not quite.  More like the old men telling the young men they don't know *****.

Have you tangled with young Liger the lion?

Oh. That smell? It's the smell of Werthers and shame.

• Haha (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Have you tangled with young Liger the lion?

Oh. That smell? It's the smell of Werthers and shame.

I've tangled with him enough to put him on Ignore after he kicks my ass, yeah.

First game was at The Aud in 1980 with Bob Sauve between the pipes. My uncle had season tix for a long time. First row Red seats in corner near Player and Zamboni tunnel. I miss that place. The nachos, the cracker jack guy in the wheelchair out front, the tunnel ramps, the cigarette smoke filled halls, the Earl of Bud and of course the rink with the boards and glass that would just rattle like crazy after a big check. Good times!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

First Sabres game at the Aud in Spring 1971 against the Blues - saw Bert set the rookie goal record, which he'd hold for a year. Couldn't fully comprehend why all the "good" players I'd seen play for the Bisons the year before weren't with the Buffalo hockey team anymore.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.