Eric Robinson acquired by the Sabres from Columbus for a 2025 conditional 7th Round Pick

Brawndo

1 hour ago, Hank said:

It's a good trade. Fills a bottom six/PK need, decent speed, forechecks and got him for free. 

It’s absolutely a good trade. By the only metric Adams cares about: value within a vacuum. We come out ahead here. It’s a good trade by value comparison.

Much more saliently: It’s also a mark of poor performance from the GM, assuming we don’t make other moves: as it’s insufficient in addressing needs.

But the trade itself is a good one. We are the victors! We won this trade.

Edited by Thorny

45 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It’s absolutely a good trade. By the only metric Adams cares about: value within a vacuum. We come out ahead here. It’s a good trade by value comparison.

Much more saliently: It’s also a mark of poor performance from the GM, assuming we don’t make other moves: as it’s insufficient in addressing needs.

Did your snarky reply to me giving my opinion of a trade make you feel better?

Edited by Hank

16 minutes ago, Hank said:

It’s not snark (would say if it was, I’m snarky all the time)

Adams actually does operate this way: at least in my estimation. But I’m not being disingenuous - I think it’s a “good” trade.

I tend to attempt to evaluate both by the prism of what I myself would do, but also by what Adams in his mind was trying to accomplish. Usually there are several angles in interpreting these things - I try to avoid black and white 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Thorny said:

How? What does he give us that we did not have? What need did he fill? 

17 minutes ago, Hank said:

2 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Look no further than the fact both “sides” have issues with what I wrote

2 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Because by value in, value out, we’ve improved 

Edited by Thorny

18 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Look no further than the fact both “sides” have issues with what I wrote

Because by value in, value out, we’ve improved 

But you didn't answer the question as to why trade for him? What need does he fill? 

We could have (for example) just as easily have claimed Anton Blidh on waivers from NY the other day for nothing and had him occupy a bottom roster spot  instead of Biro and at half the salary of this guy. He's a low skill high energy guy who occasionally hits people. I see no value in this trade at all. 

5 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I see no value in this trade at all. 

Let’s give Robinson a chance to show us why KA made such a winning trade, as Thorny sees it.

We’ll know soon enough if he adds value.

• Agree 1

This trade has me thinking ahead to the trade deadline...were not going to be in a position to buy and we really have nothing to sell. Our upcoming UFAS are OLOFFSON, Okposo, Girgensons, Just, Robinson, EJohnson, and Comrie.

Teams hoping to shore up for the playoffs aren't going to want any of these guys to help them, except maybe Johnson for depth at the very bottom of the barrel.

Free agents don't want to sign here, how does this team actually get better?

28 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

But you didn't answer the question as to why trade for him? What need does he fill? 

We could have (for example) just as easily have claimed Anton Blidh on waivers from NY the other day for nothing and had him occupy a bottom roster spot  instead of Biro and at half the salary of this guy. He's a low skill high energy guy who occasionally hits people. I see no value in this trade at all. 

I’d wager to say he’ll help us more this season than that 7th round pick. If KA has proven anything it’s that he believes in a baby steps approach. 

• Eyeroll 1

So Adams is trying to bolster the bottom 6 with guys from other teams? Do we not have any 3rd and 4th liners in our AHL program? Also why aren't we seeing which prospects are going to stick? I'd rather have Kulich/Rosen/Levi up here than Olofsson, Jost and Comrie. We're already in the *****, lets at least have some fun watching the prospects. Also I hate watching Clifton so much so that I want Jacob FREAKING Bryson in the lineup instead!!!! 

21 minutes ago, Believer said:

Let’s give Robinson a chance to show us why KA made such a winning trade, as Thorny sees it.

We’ll know soon enough if he adds value.

You are missing my point if you think my commentary was more about how he WILL help us, than how he will not 

Just because he helps doesn’t mean it was the help we needed 

1 hour ago, rickshaw said:

Why didn’t we just grab him when he was waived?

He's only here because of all the injuries.   You have to have him on your NHL roster when you claim a guy put on waivers.   
he will be here for a week, maybe 2 before being waived.  He probably brings more to the 4th line than KO but no way Sabres are gonna put their captain in the press box 

4 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

If the Sabres organization had a guy like this in the system (late 20s AHL/NHL tweener) who has some wheels, kills penalties, and throws 1.5+ hits/game, he would have been the ideal call-up when Girgs got hurt.

Yeah, if only we had someone like that down on the farm.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, sabremike said:
4 hours ago, Brawndo said:

The condition on the trade is Robinson has to play 45 games for the Sabres this season or Buffalo keeps the pick 

So essentially they got him for free as he won't play 45 games.

Yeah, and when they waive him, Columbus claims him and gives us the pick back.  He's like a tool rental at AutoZone.

1 hour ago, GoPuckYourself said:

So Adams is trying to bolster the bottom 6 with guys from other teams? Do we not have any 3rd and 4th liners in our AHL program? Also why aren't we seeing which prospects are going to stick? I'd rather have Kulich/Rosen/Levi up here than Olofsson, Jost and Comrie. We're already in the *****, lets at least have some fun watching the prospects. Also I hate watching Clifton so much so that I want Jacob FREAKING Bryson in the lineup instead!!!! 

No there really aren’t many options for bottom 6 players in Rochester.   Murray has the size but has cement skates, Weissbach is a tiny scorer, Kozak (everyone’s future Mike Peca 🤪) brings zero offense in the AHL,  Nadeau is a few years away, everyone else is either all offense or an ECHL talent.