Eric Robinson acquired by the Sabres from Columbus for a 2025 conditional 7th Round Pick

Brawndo

8 hours ago, kas23 said:

True. Even Stillman looked pretty good for his first few games. Then the coaching of his previous team wore off and he began playing Sabres hockey. 

Some of this is true.  

You can tell this kid came up another way.  He was credited with 1 hit, but I counted 4 times when he blasted a Bruins defenseman on the forecheck.  They got the pass away but he crushed a few Broons along the way.  That is how you wear out an opponent, our defenseman know how that feels.  

Every chance he had he went to the net hard.  He should have had the first goal.  

He seems smart too.   On VO goal he went to the net but stayed spread out far enough to make Linus have to cheat.   Tage Thompson did not even execute this as well as #50 did on the breakaway with Skinner   

Hopefully he keeps playing like that.  You can see limited hand skills but just keep the motor going kid. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 3

What a pickup this has been so far...dude has been a force.

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

No.  Call me in 20 games if he's still in Buffalo.

Is there something that suggests he won't be? Typically when a player comes in and plays exceptional, he doesn't get sent down.

It becomes a lot easier if you simply have a clean slate with new players instead of assuming every move will fail just because you want to be negative about everything they do.

Edited by Big Guava
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

He won’t keep up that production level but his speed and net driving should keep him on this team.

If they all get healthy KA will have to waive some “buddies”. Bryson, Comrie and Jost are at risk.

Robinson is worth a 7th rounder, I wonder who advocated for him.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I don't know why you have such a jaundiced eye. Robinson's a hard-nosed and straight line player. He's exactly what this team needs. He's a good fit for the Krebs/Okposo line. He's a fourth line player who also gives you some net presence. That's something this team desperately lacks. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, JohnC said:

I don't know why you have such a jaundiced eye. Robinson's a hard-nosed and straight line player. He's exactly what this team needs. He's a good fit for the Krebs/Okposo line. He's a fourth line player who also gives you some net presence. That's something this team desperately lacks. 

IMO, some people automatically seem to think every move the Saves make is doomed to fail. Guess they can't see past the last decade+ of the drought.

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Way better fit with those guys than a rookie like Rosen.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Big Guava said:

IMO, some people automatically seem to think every move the Saves make is doomed to fail. Guess they can't see past the last decade+ of the drought.

Just like with the Greenway pickup it was a good addition. More toughness and less perimeter style players. Not major additions but good pickups. 

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

Because I've seen him play for the last few years and yes, he's off to a flying start.  However, we have seen this movie before.  A new guy comes in, plays hard to impress, and gradually (and sometimes not so gradually) falls into the same play that made him a cast-off from his prior team.  There is a reason he was the bottom forward on a team worse than ours and was available for a conditional 7th rd pick.

I said this last year when we acquired Stillman and look where he is now.  Robinson is another AAAA player.  Enjoy the good games he provides and hope that he can keep it up as long as possible, just don't get too attached.

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Because I've seen him play for the last few years and yes, he's off to a flying start.  However, we have seen this movie before.  A new guy comes in, plays hard to impress, and gradually (and sometimes not so gradually) falls into the same play that made him a cast-off from his prior team.  There is a reason he was the bottom forward on a team worse than ours and was available for a conditional 7th rd pick.

I said this last year when we acquired Stillman and look where he is now.  Robinson is another AAAA player.  Enjoy the good games he provides and hope that he can keep it up as long as possible, just don't get too attached.

I'm not over-rating him as a player. There is no question that he is a fourth-line player. This team was in need for more tougher lower line players. His attributes as a player are what this team needs. Not a major pickup but a good pickup. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Enjoy the good games he provides and hope that he can keep it up as long as possible, just don't get too attached.

Eh.  It's like he's playing with house money.  The good he does helps the team.  If he gets cold, Girgs steps back in. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Doohickie said:

Eh.  It's like he's playing with house money.  The good he does helps the team.  If he gets cold, Girgs steps back in. 

Right.  He is just another warm body who had the game of his life tonight.  Congrats!  It was a pleasure to watch, but he is not some magic elixir that will cure the terrible bottom 6 KA has created.  

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Right.  He is just another warm body who had the game of his life tonight.  Congrats!  It was a pleasure to watch, but he is not some magic elixir that will cure the terrible bottom 6 KA has created.  

Don't know that yet.  He's certainly not a core piece, but unless your fourth line is Maltby - Draper - McCarty, fourth liners are part of your core.

I still think there are serviceable 4th liners in Rochester; we just don't know who they are yet, other than perhaps Rousek.  But we have a fair number of players that were drafted thinking they're top-six material.  Not all will achieve that but some will prove to be decent bottom six guys.

28 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Robinson is worth a 7th rounder, I wonder who advocated for him.

DG credited Jeremiah Crowe with pushing for Robinson.

If he doesn’t get 45 games the Sabres aren’t even on the hook for the 7th rounder. This could happen if he platoons with Girgs/KO.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Technically he already had the game of his life and it was against us—not with us.

If anything, I view Robinson right now as a good measuring stick for how serious GMKA is to winning versus trying to be everyone’s friend. If Girgs goes back into the lineup with how Robinson is playing and Robinson sits, I’m done. At the same time, when Robinson inevitably returns to mean, if he stays in the lineup with no other changes to the 4th line, or the 4th line regresses to a black hole, I’m done.

I just thumbed through the Stillman thread and this is a better acquisition than Stillman.  Why? We traded away an asset for Stillman and given our injuries, at least Robinson may have some use for a short period of time.  Robinson also doesn't have the baggage of another contract year like Stillman and Bjork did.

7 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

Technically he already had the game of his life and it was against us—not with us.

If anything, I view Robinson right now as a good measuring stick for how serious GMKA is to winning versus trying to be everyone’s friend. If Girgs goes back into the lineup with how Robinson is playing and Robinson sits, I’m done. At the same time, when Robinson inevitably returns to mean, if he stays in the lineup with no other changes to the 4th line, or the 4th line regresses to a black hole, I’m done.

I guess you are done.  🙂  If KA was serious about winning he'd have made a move that upgrades the team.  Robinson is just a band-aid over a blown rivet on the Titanic.  

All this move did was bridge a 4th line injury issue since all the prospects failed to make even a dent (Kulich, Rousek, Rosen or Biro).  So far so good, but he will revert to the mean and Girgensons will unfortunately be back in the lineup.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

11 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I just thumbed through the Stillman thread and this is a better acquisition than Stillman.  Why? We traded away an asset for Stillman and given our injuries, at least Robinson may have some use for a short period of time.  Robinson also doesn't have the baggage of another contract year like Stillman and Bjork

Robinson has contributed to some improved play and helped the team get a few points. As you point out, he may be a JAG soon enough, but he may realize this is his last chance and play hard for another contract.

By the way, the asset traded for Stillman was Bloom. He has just been demoted to the ECHL after getting 1 point in 14 AHL games. I thought he would be a decent AHL forward but things are not looking good.

• Like (+1) 1