The John-Jason Peterka Breakout Season Thread

LGR4GM

6 minutes ago, shrader said:

I hope Quinn has grown as much as a player as Peterka has. Just imagine two second year guys playing like this. Man that injury sucks. 

While Quinn has been unable to work on his skating and legs much, I would think his upper body work has added some muscle.

He will probably take thousands of shots once he is strong enough for that.

His high IQ game will be a noticeable asset upon his healthy return. I don’t want him rushed back, this is a major injury and the team is improving on their early season results.

• Like (+1) 1

JJP is such an entertaining player to watch. He was the Amerks best player in the playoffs a couple years ago and has kept developing.

The disappointing thing with Quinn is if you track his past he always explodes in his 2nd year in a league: OHL, AHL. He would probably be lighting it up right now. Hopefully he can come back and eventually get to his level.

The most impressive thing with JJP is that he is playing his game regardless of the line he is put on. He has always had chemistry and production with Quinn but now he can adapt to any line and really he is the guy you put on a line to get it going. The World Championships were where he really just took over as a player on his own and he has carried it over.

I will gives credits to the Sabres scouting staff. They identified JJP and moved up to get him. They identified Kulich and attempted to move up and get him. They identified Wahlberg and attempted to move up and get him. If Wahlberg develops Like JJP And Kulich have them the Sabres are in really good shape.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Imo, Peterka is built for playoff hockey. His goal last night was scored in the dirtiest of spots.

I realize your post is mostly about his all-around game, but it made me think about how underrated JJ’s physique is for hockey.

5’10 to 6’0” 190-200 with burst and a strong lower body for leverage is often the ideal forward build. Crosby is the prototype, but you seem to see it most with Euro wingers: Kucherov, Pastrnak, Bure, Mogilny…

They don’t win the standing still battles against the Bogosians, but not much of the game is played standing still and they excel at getting around, under and in between.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

He was great in the playoffs when he was an Amerk.  He took his game up a level in that run.

His play in that run made me realize that he could be more than a middle-sixer in the NHL if the cards fall right. It was flat out dominance.

Nice to see him taking an NHL step this year and Donnie recognizing and rewarding it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

I will gives credits to the Sabres scouting staff. They identified JJP and moved up to get him. They identified Kulich and attempted to move up and get him. They identified Wahlberg and attempted to move up and get him. If Wahlberg develops Like JJP And Kulich have them the Sabres are in really good shape.

The Sabres have improved in scouting since KA took over. I think Östlund has NHL potential and that Strbak was a nice 2nd rounder too.

The one issue I have with recent drafts was Leinonen. He may develop into a good goalie but he shouldn’t have been taken that early.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

The best thing about JJP this season is he's performing with everyone. No Quinn, off-kilter Cozens, doesn't matter. JJP can go anywhere. When Quinn is back, you don't need to reunite them. If JJP works best with Greenway-Mitts, then Quinn-Cozens-? isn't a bad base for a 3rd line for a Rousek or Krebs (or sneak-peaks at Kulich and Rosen).

1 minute ago, French Collection said:

The one issue I have with recent drafts was Leinonen. He may develop into a good goalie but he shouldn’t have been taken that early.

It was right there in the name!

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Zamboni said:

I am so glad to see his development. Last year there were glimpses. He’s becoming a solid NHLer. Love it 👍🏼

It was almost disappointing to see him opposite Quinn who was to my eye so much more ready.  Without Quinn it seems like JJP seized the opportunity and took the next step.  I'm looking forward to the reunion tour.  I like to think it will be Quinn and JJP with Cozens driving them; I think that would break Cozens out of his funk (if he's still in it).

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

It was almost disappointing to see him opposite Quinn who was to my eye so much more ready.  Without Quinn it seems like JJP seized the opportunity and took the next step.  I'm looking forward to the reunion tour.  I like to think it will be Quinn and JJP with Cozens driving them; I think that would break Cozens out of his funk (if he's still in it).

Reminds me of how he seized on the opportunity in Rochester when Quinn was hurt.

• Thanks (+1) 1

JJP is really stepping up.  He plays with force and finish, and he can both score it and pass it.

What a great pair of picks Quinn and him were -- they were drafted #8 and #34 in 2020, KA's first draft.

The previous year, JB did pretty well too with Cozens at #7 and Ryan J at #31.

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, LTS said:

JJP and Mitts are the most exciting players on the team right now.  Dahlin is probably third.

The kid is driven and I love it.  Earned time on the top line last night against the Wild and it immediately paid off.

I’ve been hard on Thompson in the past. Even to start the season. But he’s been playing really tough and effective two way hockey. 

There are guys who have leveled up this year. JJP is leading the pack.  

9 hours ago, nfreeman said:

JJP is really stepping up.  He plays with force and finish, and he can both score it and pass it.

What a great pair of picks Quinn and him were -- they were drafted #8 and #34 in 2020, KA's first draft.

The previous year, JB did pretty well too with Cozens at #7 and Ryan J at #31.

and Dahlin and Samuelsson the year before. 

I remember liking Peterka in the worlds and thinking he might become something. His breakout is a bright spot this season. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.