DOES ADAMS GET A GOALIE NOW?!

JoeSchmoe

I'm not making an assumption that any of our goalies currently are or will be at an elite level. Although I believe Levi can become that caliber of netminder. The success of our goalies is predicated on the defensive play of the players on the ice, including the forwards. The Sabres played one of their best all-around defensive games against Colorado with strong net presence and tight coverage that helped the goalie in maintaining the shutout. 

The goalies we got are likely to be the goalies that we will play. So this fantasy hockey search for some savior goalie is unlikely to happen. Vegas won the Cup last year with their fourth goalie option who had little history of success. The primary reason for Vegas to go on its successful run was the play in front of the goalie. That's what needs to happen here. It's going to be difficult to consistently replicate the defensive standard of play that was exhibited in the Colorado game. But that will be the key to this team's success. 

What we got in net is what we got in net. That's the reality that many people can't accept. 

• Agree 2

13 hours ago, dudacek said:

Also, with Comrie getting injured again, and Tokarski not healthy either, we sure are fortunate Adams kept 3 goalies and didn’t lose anybody to waivers, aren’t we?

😘

This comment was bound to be made by someone sooner or later.  I'm pretty sure I predicted it somewhere along the line.

My question is:  Is the rate of injury among goalies in the Sabres system representative of the league as a whole (possibly taking into account age as a factor)?

12 hours ago, dudacek said:

That amount of hatred dumped on any Buffalo Sabre who just seems to show up and work hard doesn’t seem very “Buffalo” to me.

Are you kidding me?  That's the most Buffalo thing ever.

9 hours ago, Zamboni said:

The resident complainer called EJ “garbage” when he was signed in July. Yes I know I know consider the source 😂

I think EJ is a solid signing. He’s being praised by all Sabres players that talk about him.

Will be a small percentage of people that agree with me but I think PKane should be signed for basically the same reason.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • dislike 1

8 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Will be a small percentage of people that agree with me but I think PKane should be signed for basically the same reason.   

Not a fan of them signing Patrick Kane; but there are a bunch of people in the organization, including Adams, that know him very well.  If they get him, will trust their judgment on that.  (Except for goaltending have been pretty pleased with the way they've added talent to this team since changing direction.  They've earned the benefit of the doubt on skaters IMHO.  Would be awesome to see them finally have gotten goaltending right, but that is still very much in question.)

10 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Who complained?  I thought this was a great signing.  This team had needed a Teppo type figure in the dressing room and on the ice for years and KA finally delivered.  

I know Clifton is off to a rough start, but I live that signing as well.

Not gonna name names.  Comments about his age, he wont last, he is not a top 4 ... 

18 hours ago, dudacek said:

Not interested in debating Old Man Pete’s merits, especially with someone who is so obviously a UPL truther.

But to the bold I have to ask: how do you explain the Sabres being 19/12/4 over the past calendar year with him in net? 35 games is not a small sample size.

Especially for people who buried UPL two years ago for his 35-game year in Rochester.

Almost as good as their record while wearing the goat heads 

I assume a lot of correlation rather than causation particularly given UPL’s poor overall numbers but maybe there’s some confidence inducing voodoo going on, like I’ve recently begun to have no choice but to consider, with those sweaters 

doing the math, they played at an 87 point pace last season without UPL, and a 97 point pace with him. Over 82, I can’t decide if that’s compelling or not. It’s an extra win every 16 and a half games..it might be something but it could also be coincidence 

Edited by Thorny

Also, with Comrie getting injured again, and Tokarski not healthy either, we sure are fortunate Adams kept 3 goalies and didn’t lose anybody to waivers, aren’t we?

😘

He kept insurance against the player *he rostered* that was likely to fail to play a lot of games?  I guess lol. We will see on UPL. Bit of a broken record but as I always say we’ll just have to see how the results turn out 

Edited by Thorny

Well if people think something about UPL’s body language encouraged the Sabres to get outshot 18-4 by New Jersey, I guess you could also postulate that something about his body language encouraged them to score lots of goals in most of his starts.

Look, UPL lets in too many goals and has for most of his 49 NHL games. But the certitude some fans have that what he was in September of 2022 is all he ever was or will be drives me nuts.

I don’t have high hopes for the kid, but I hope he stuffs it in these “fan’s” faces in much the same way Quinn and Mittelstadt have.

That amount of hatred dumped on any Buffalo Sabre who just seems to show up and work hard doesn’t seem very “Buffalo” to me.

The fans don’t deserve to have anything stuffed in their faces, good grief 

“Fans” in quotations? this is Zamboni territory 

Edited by Thorny

21 minutes ago, Thorny said:

The fans don’t deserve to have anything stuffed in their faces, good grief 

“Fans” in quotations? this is Zamboni territory 

You understand this has nothing to do with people who want to see an element of the team upgraded and argue in favour for that right?

It’s about the tendency to choose a whipping boy and pile on with the absolutes and the personal insults. It’s just another manifestation of what pisses you off when folks do it to Eichel. You’ve had no trouble pointing out how wrong they were.

Is that “Zamboni territory”?

Edited by dudacek

33 minutes ago, dudacek said:

You understand this has nothing to do with people who want to see an element of the team upgraded and argue in favour for that right?

It’s about the tendency to choose a whipping boy and pile on with the absolutes and the personal insults. It’s just another manifestation of what pisses you off when folks do it to Eichel. You’ve had no trouble pointing out how wrong they were.

Is that “Zamboni territory”.

Well, you’ve moved the goal posts (fittingly I guess given the subject matter) in the span of a single post. You didn’t mention anything at all about personal insults in the post I quoted - of course I am against that and if you mentioned that in thread and I missed it, I apologize 

But I am well on record on this board saying, over the course of multiple posts I will quote if necessary, that my issue with the Eichel stuff *always* was the personal attacks 

questioning one’s viability as a fan merely because of the presence of whipping boys, or because they doubted someone or the team would be successful, doesn’t jive for me, im sorry it just doesn’t 

Edited by Thorny

On 9/2/2021 at 12:20 PM, Thorny said:

I don't really have wish to become a meme. My "efforts" undoubtedly stand out, but I'd argue that's because it's a pretty noticeably dissenting viewpoint where the board is concerned. 

The aspersions being cast on Jack's overall character have been venturing into ugly IMO for quite some time, and I don't think them representative of an honest look at Jack's time in Buffalo, when viewed in totality, which I believe to be the most fair way of looking at it. 

I've been linking positive quotes and articles re: Jack simply because if I didn't, they wouldn't be showing up at all. I think that's fair to say. I think overall, what's painted is a more nuanced picture of a good kid, with flaws, and what became a conflict between said player and an organization, also clearly with flaws, that became combustible.

On 9/2/2021 at 8:05 AM, Thorny said:

If we go ahead and attribute the agent's doings fully to Jack, I'd say it's fair to classify him as "wrong", and I would. But why one would feel the need to cast a thorough judgement on his character and call him a "prick" or an "assh*le" is beyond me. 

If there are posts calling Thompson Quinn Casey UPL pricks, I withdraw my argument

and again, it’s obviously not about standing up for the players you believe in. It was the idea that those who criticize the players or team online aren’t fans. Which is the inference I take from “fans”. It’s admittedly a huge pet peeve 

Edited by Thorny

• 2 months later...
1 minute ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Maybe Adams is genius. If both UPL and Levi round out into above average goalies it will be like KA was right all along. 

I would say that Adams got lucky, but, as a Sabres fan, I can live with it should they keep it up.

17 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Maybe Adams is genius. If both UPL and Levi round out into above average goalies it will be like KA was right all along. 

Idk about genius.  We may have seen a better version UPL this year if Adam’s didn’t run a 3 goalie rotation for almost half the season.

Still nowhere close to sold on UPL, but it’s also hard to have a definitive opinion on a goalie playing behind this defensive system.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

this defensive system.

The defense *is* better, but the Sabres are an offense-first team and since they've gone back to that, while the in-zone coverage is better (even when they get hemmed in they haven't lost structure near as much), their high pressure offense does allow for odd-man rushes/breakways against.

I think both the goalies are getting used to that and learning to handle it.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Not if the time it took to “round out” the process cost us a playoff spot this year. Remember, this year we are measuring based on results 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, 7+6=13 said:

Why?  We hand out half season condemnation. 

By the end of the first half, we can:

1. Reasonably ascertain that we corrected too late for a playoff spot.

and 2. Judge results that have already been witnessed.

Neither of the two comments I was responding to had the benefit of actual data, or even historical perspective.

12 minutes ago, Weave said:

By the end of the first half, we can:

1. Reasonably ascertain that we corrected too late for a playoff spot.

and 2. Judge results that have already been witnessed.

Neither of the two comments I was responding to had the benefit of actual data, or even historical perspective.

Following up on your first point: if we go 6-0 on the upcoming homestead with ordinary luck otherwise, we still would not be in a playoff spot.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.