The Johnson watch has started

Turbo44

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

Hoping they draft a D with that pick (well, actually, hoping they trade it and Olofsson for a D that is more on this team's current time line) but it doesn't sound like any D worth a 1st round pick will be available at that pick.  Would rather see another F taken there, if that is in fact the case, than see them reach.

Expect Adams will take the best available (again, provided he hasn't traded the pick).

Always BPA.  

• Like (+1) 1

What the Johnson saga is demonstrating is that the Sabres are at a stage where it doesn't very much matter whether he signs or not. If he does, that would be great. It will add to the growing stable of prospects. It's more likely than not that if he signs, he will start off in Rochester. Johnson has to make a decision to what he believes is in his own best interest. I still think that if he reviews his options that Buffalo gives him the best opportunity to play in the NHL sooner rather than later.  The GM has set his boundaries, and he is sticking to them. The organization is now run in an orderly way. The haphazard and undisciplined way of doing business is a thing of the past. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I think possible presence of Nikita Novikov makes Johnson expendable 

I really hope they can get Novikov and Neuchev over this season and Poltapov when his own contract expires. But it'd be especially nice to have Johnson, Novikov, and Komarov all join up with Rochester for 2-3 years of developmental seasons and begin the chain of potential top-6 depth.

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, JohnC said:

What the Johnson saga is demonstrating is that the Sabres are at a stage where it doesn't very much matter whether he signs or not. If he does, that would be great. It will add to the growing stable of prospects. It's more likely than not that if he signs, he will start off in Rochester. Johnson has to make a decision to what he believes is in his own best interest. I still think that if he reviews his options that Buffalo gives him the best opportunity to play in the NHL sooner rather than later.  The GM has set his boundaries, and he is sticking to them. The organization is now run in an orderly way. The haphazard and undisciplined way of doing business is a thing of the past. 

I think part of what Adams means when he talks about players who want to be here are players that focus on playing hockey, not what kind of night life or golfing is available where they play.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I think possible presence of Nikita Novikov makes Johnson expendable 

Not expendable, but less of a problem in the near term if they can get Novikov in Rochester next season.   They really need a defenseman that they call up without having to deal with waivers.  

I think the 2024 late 2nd rounder is a safety net as well.   The ROR trade was to include the St Louis #1, which unfortunately turned out to be the last pick of round 1.  Now it could be the last pick of round 2, but 5 years after the fact.  

Ryan Johnson has never felt like a good pick to me.  I am not surprised he is apprehensive about signing.   There can't be too many teams that need defensemen as badly as the Sabres do but possibly the presence of Dahlin, Power, and Samuelsson make him feel like the top 4 is not a possibility.  If that is the case, good riddance.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I think part of what Adams means when he talks about his who want to be here are players that focus on playing hockey, not what kind of night life or golfing is available where they play.

I wholeheartedly agree with that. Either you are committed to the team, or you are not. Because he talks so much about players wanting to be here, I have the impression that he is wary of players/prospects who even show some hesitancy about being a Sabre. 

I am still hoping he signs but I believe it is a slim chance now.

There is no D depth in this organization and he is waiting for what to make his decision? It’s not like the Portillo situation, who was probably intimidated by Levi. Johnson is not going to go somewhere else and be a first pairing guy. He’s probably a 4-6 Dman at best.

He’s a bit prickly if he waits until August to announce he is going the UFA route.

I know the compensation will be a late second rounder in ‘24 but that piece will be a part of the ROR trade tree.

We have an old saying around here, sh*t or get off the pot!

6 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I would prefer Johnson over the draft pick in 2024, but I think the team needs to give him a deadline well ahead of the draft so that it can adjust strategy as necessary.

Seems the strategy should be assume he is now the 63rd pick in the 2024 draft.  If that, as part of a package, is something other teams would want for something that would help the Sabres this coming season and moving forward, great.  

If not, well they now have 2 2nd round picks next year and 7 total picks in that draft (they traded away their 5th).

He likely tops out as a 2nd pairing D-man with 3rd pairing the expectation.  It would be nice to have one that will stay in house for several years as he wouldn't have the learning curve/adjustment phase to your system that we see when bringing in FA 3rd pairing guys; but there are a lot of 3rd pairing guys available every year.  Hoping his signing or bailing doesn't materially affect the Sabres strategy at this draft nor during the 1st week of July.  (Would hate to see them forego adding an extra 5/6 guy because they don't wat to scare Johnson off only to see him walk anyhow.)  

Assume he's the 63rd pick next off-season and if they get him instead, well instead of having a 3rd pairing D 3-6 years from now (or a bottom 6 F 3-4 years out), they can have that sometime between now and 3 years from now.  Woo hoo.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I am still hoping he signs but I believe it is a slim chance now.

There is no D depth in this organization and he is waiting for what to make his decision? It’s not like the Portillo situation, who was probably intimidated by Levi. Johnson is not going to go somewhere else and be a first pairing guy. He’s probably a 4-6 Dman at best.

He’s a bit prickly if he waits until August to announce he is going the UFA route.

I know the compensation will be a late second rounder in ‘24 but that piece will be a part of the ROR trade tree.

We have an old saying around here, sh*t or get off the pot!

Per the bold text, perhaps Johnson is constipated. That and he thinks he’s better than he is. 

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Seems the strategy should be assume he is now the 63rd pick in the 2024 draft.  If that, as part of a package, is something other teams would want for something that would help the Sabres this coming season and moving forward, great.  

If not, well they now have 2 2nd round picks next year and 7 total picks in that draft (they traded away their 5th).

He likely tops out as a 2nd pairing D-man with 3rd pairing the expectation.  It would be nice to have one that will stay in house for several years as he wouldn't have the learning curve/adjustment phase to your system that we see when bringing in FA 3rd pairing guys; but there are a lot of 3rd pairing guys available every year.  Hoping his signing or bailing doesn't materially affect the Sabres strategy at this draft nor during the 1st week of July.  (Would hate to see them forego adding an extra 5/6 guy because they don't wat to scare Johnson off only to see him walk anyhow.)  

Assume he's the 63rd pick next off-season and if they get him instead, well instead of having a 3rd pairing D 3-6 years from now (or a bottom 6 F 3-4 years out), they can have that sometime between now and 3 years from now.  Woo hoo.

I'm not a prospect aficionado and won't pretend to be. But as you noted, most of the evaluations I have read about him place him as a third pairing caliber of prospect. I would love to get him in the system because of the dearth of defensemen in the system. But as you emphasized, third pairing players are more readily available on the market than top two pairing players. 

I really don't believe that getting Johnson to sign is something the GM is worried about. In contrast, I'm sure it was a priority for KA to get Levi signed as soon as possible. I remember last year when KA was on WGR and talked about not being able to sign Ullmark. He stated that the organization does its due diligence and places a value on a player and the cost/contract. He emphasized that you have to believe in your staff and their evaluations, and then have the fortitude and discipline to abide by them. The Ullmark situation was a difficult decision. On the other hand the Johnson situation is not something he is going to lose sleep over.

On 4/16/2023 at 5:24 PM, Dr. Who said:

Trading the pick for veteran D makes the most sense. Wonder how much it would cost to move up from 13 to grab Reinbacher?

I suppose this depends on how far you think he might fall and who is picking before you with their need(s). I think generally Reinbacher is projected to go around 10 so maybe not that much to swap places with 10 if you think 11 or 12 (assuming we are 13) will go D. 

Better to have a plan B. and C. Look at 2nd round D picks AND trade for veteran D. Anyone drafted isn't going to jump right in Power style. They are more likely to be 3ish year later Samuelsson (Borgen) type pathways. 

• Like (+1) 1

Would it be a crazy scenario that there is no announcement before the draft, Ryan Johnson is invited to the next Sabres Development camp (July?).  After that, he decides that this is the place he wants to be and finally inks a deal before he becomes a UFA?  Maybe ridiculous, but can't help wondering if this could happen.

3 hours ago, Carmel Corn said:

Would it be a crazy scenario that there is no announcement before the draft, Ryan Johnson is invited to the next Sabres Development camp (July?).  After that, he decides that this is the place he wants to be and finally inks a deal before he becomes a UFA?  Maybe ridiculous, but can't help wondering if this could happen.

I doubt that he will be in camp without a signed contract.  There is a risk of injury that might be a concern.  

On 4/16/2023 at 10:12 PM, MBD said:

This year's 1st and next year's 63rd overall...

Sold 

5 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Amerks playoffs starting tonight and no ATO signed.
Well... I don't know about the rest of the fleet, but my Johnson Watch has ended.

My Friday night multi beer brain says Johnson can eat a bag of johnsons at this point. Don't need you bro. Have fun in Arizona or Anaheim with whatever the hell it is that they do. Say hi to Dad.

17 hours ago, Eleven said:

I would prefer Johnson over the draft pick in 2024, but I think the team needs to give him a deadline well ahead of the draft so that it can adjust strategy as necessary.

Johnson signing or not should have 0 impact on the Sabres draft strategy. If it does, we should be deeply concerned. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1