The Johnson watch has started

Turbo44

I don't really get the reason for the delay. If I was him I'd look at the Amerks and want to be part of their playoff run, and I'd look at the Sabres and think I could crack that roster within 2 years.

I can only assume he thinks he's good enough to play in the NHL next year, and is trying to consider if some other teams out there will give him that chance.

I'm not losing sleep over it though. I'd like him to sign and play in the AHL next year. We need more defensive depth/prospect, but it's more his loss than ours if he walks.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, SabresBaltimore said:

I don't really get the reason for the delay. If I was him I'd look at the Amerks and want to be part of their playoff run, and I'd look at the Sabres and think I could crack that roster within 2 years.

I can only assume he thinks he's good enough to play in the NHL next year, and is trying to consider if some other teams out there will give him that chance.

I'm not losing sleep over it though. I'd like him to sign and play in the AHL next year. We need more defensive depth/prospect, but it's more his loss than ours if he walks.

If the holdup is the ATO and Rochester, I certainly see that as a red flag as a player. You want players who want to compete and play. Does he want to be done for the year? Who wouldn’t want to go play pro hockey and make a potential playoff run? To me, that would be an issue as far as his general attitude. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

FWIW Darren Dreger mentioned on Sabres Live yesterday He spoke with Johnson’s Agent Pat Brisson on Wednesday Night  and that RJ had not made a decision yet 

I love Adams philosophy of wanting guys that want to be in Buffalo. Seems clear that Johnson is not passionate about the idea. So be it. 

• Like (+1) 1

Lots of people can think this is not a huge loss but it is.

Buffalo took all the time and money to develop this player And they get nothing out of it but a 3rd round pick.

And probably Buffalo didn't want to draft a certain defense in drafts because they thought Johnson was gonna be in the fold.

This has ripple effects but people don't see that

• Disagree 2

9 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Buffalo took all the time and money to develop this player And they get nothing out of it but a 3rd round pick.

And probably Buffalo didn't want to draft a certain defense in drafts because they thought Johnson was gonna be in the fold.

I can see your point.  I do think it's a loss, but not much we can do in this situation.  League sets this rule to let them walk.  Until the rule is change, can't lose sleep over it.  In my opinion, at this time, he's not ready for the NHL.  I've watched him all year.  I'm no scout, but he needs some development.  I think it would be a bigger loss if we rushed him in the NHL, and he busted.  Just my 2 cents.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

There is a significant ripple effect and it continues on from this season. The Sabres don’t have waiver exempt D assets for short-term injuries. They lost Fitz and then had to give up an asset for Stillman instead of having a waiver-free D guy available. The same will happen next season except Komarov unless they can convince European prospects to get out of their contracts to join the AHL only (unlikely). 
Or, you’re using your trade assets (VO) to get a prospect + pick instead of a 4D if you wanted to go the trade route. 
If not, it’s more Clague types who have to keep on the Sabres or risk losing when sent down. 

1 hour ago, DarthEbriate said:

It's ATO and Rochester or free agency and the final pick of the 2nd round in 2024. (And if he's still "making a decision", then he's already made his decision for UFA and just doesn't have the forthrightness to state it in public.)

Minir point.  63rd pick.  3rd last of the 2nd round as the original 31st and 32nd picks of that round will be bumped back 1 slot.

(Yes, he was originally taken w/ the last pick of the 1st round but since then another team joined and each round now has 32 selections rather than 31.)

• Thanks (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

First and foremost, it's a 2nd round pick. The third round will not officially begin until after this pick. By stating 3rd you are clearly trying to misrepresent the situation. If you'd like to use the exact number of the pick that would be good as well.  Even if it is the last pick before the third round it's still NOT the third round.

As for the rest you are insinuating that Buffalo would not have planned for an eventuality that an NCAA draft pick might not sign. I don't believe that for a moment. Each year a prospect says they would rather stay in college would only increase the risk. Anyone can point to not drafting more defense, but it doesn't mean its because they thought Ryan Johnson was the answer.

Buffalo has top end defense covered. They need some mid-tier defenders and those are available every year.

The only ripple effect is that the Amerks need some more D next year.. and I believe they already went and signed a few.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LTS said:

The only ripple effect is that the Amerks need some more D next year.. and I believe they already went and signed a few.

The Amerks on AHL deals are covered, it's the Amerks D on Sabres entry-level contracts that are missing. Going into next season it's currently 0.

If Komarov signs an ELC, it's 1 (I'd put that likelihood at 95% unless he has some weird Memorial Cup desire for next year or plays the "doesn't want to be here" option). The only other pieces available in the pipeline are Lyckasen, Novikov, and Nyberg who don't have to cross the pond this offseason, if ever.

RFA addendum: To start next season I think you can easily slip Bryson at $1.8M down to ROC. Clague would be 50/50.

1 hour ago, LTS said:

First and foremost, it's a 2nd round pick. The third round will not officially begin until after this pick. By stating 3rd you are clearly trying to misrepresent the situation. If you'd like to use the exact number of the pick that would be good as well.  Even if it is the last pick before the third round it's still NOT the third round.

As for the rest you are insinuating that Buffalo would not have planned for an eventuality that an NCAA draft pick might not sign. I don't believe that for a moment. Each year a prospect says they would rather stay in college would only increase the risk. Anyone can point to not drafting more defense, but it doesn't mean its because they thought Ryan Johnson was the answer.

Buffalo has top end defense covered. They need some mid-tier defenders and those are available every year.

Ok a 2nd thats likely a 3rd 

It is what it is, but I am going to be forever weary of drafting kids committed to college hockey until they change the rules and that the drafting team can retain rights for however long until the player decides to join the NHL.  As far as that draft is concerned, losing 2 players to free agency stings (Portillo being the other, despite the fact he got traded to LA).

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

FWIW Darren Dreger mentioned on Sabres Live yesterday He spoke with Johnson’s Agent Pat Brisson on Wednesday Night  and that RJ had not made a decision yet 

Didn’t realize Brisson was back in play here. I would think he would be professional enough to leave out any personal opinions in this. Does anyone know if Brisson represents any current Sabres?

15 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Didn’t realize Brisson was back in play here. I would think he would be professional enough to leave out any personal opinions in this. Does anyone know if Brisson represents any current Sabres?

Definitely, most notably Owen Power.

16 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Welp  Extending power is gonna be fun this summer

I don’t think Brisson has the power (no pun) or will to steer a client away from the Sabres if he loves the team. A guy on the fence though, I don’t know. 

Why do posters fear Brisson?

If it’s the Eichel situation, then Eichel was long gone well before hiring Brisson, and it was only after Brisson stepped in that the situation started moving. Take this for what it’s worth, but Adams was very complementary of Brisson at the time.

His other Sabre clients are Samuelsson, who just signed long-term and Okposo who clearly loves the organization.

Is there something else that I’m missing?

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Why do posters fear Brisson?

If it’s the Eichel situation, then Eichel was long gone well before hiring Brisson, and it was only after Brisson stepped in that the situation started moving. Take this for what it’s worth, but Adams was very complementary of Brisson at the time.

His other Sabre clients are Samuelsson, who just signed long-term and Okposo who clearly loves the organization.

Is there something else that I’m missing?

Logical thinking doesn't satisfy the conspiracists. They are too consumed with their dark fantasy world that is a figment of their own unbridled imagination. If Johnson doesn't sign here, it is because he doesn't want to join this franchise. It won't be because his agent is influencing him to go elsewhere. 

• Like (+1) 2