The Johnson watch has started

Turbo44

2 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I like Lance a lot but there is no way, after watching this guy play and bring so closely involved in his development that they still haven’t decided.
I still believe he signs, but this feels like “spin control.”

You said Lancelot. Chuckle. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 4

10 hours ago, Two or less said:

Lance says on his podcast Maintenance day one of the holdup's of Ryan Johnson signing with the Sabres is the Sabres are having internal discussions about rather to sign him or take the pick.

Do you want an NHL player in 2024 or do you want a 3rd round pick that might be an nhl player in 2028/9 is the question and if Buffalo is having that conversation my faith in them is in question. It's like the Leinonen pick, not good. 

57 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Do you want an NHL player in 2024 or do you want a 3rd round pick that might be an nhl player in 2028/9 is the question and if Buffalo is having that conversation my faith in them is in question. It's like the Leinonen pick, not good. 

Has Johnson's draft stock gone done after playing this year? 

8 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

In KA's world, you want to be part of things here or you don't.  If Johnson is not on board, then move on.  It may even be argued that this draft is deep enough that the compensatory 2nd rd pick might become just as good a player long-term.  Obviously, that player won't be as NHL ready, but with 8 D under contract or control anbd cap space and assets to acquire UFAs or current NHL players, maybe signing Johnson isn't a huge priority for the team.

Think of it this way.  We paid a late 2nd for Greenway, a player in his prime, with two years left on his deal.  Maybe KA trades the compensatory 2nd for a D from a cap-strapped team.  Maybe LV will trade us 6'6" late bloomer Nic Hague for that 2nd?

Minor point.  The compensation should Johnson not sign will be the 63rd pick in the '24 draft; not this year.

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

I like Lance a lot but there is no way, after watching this guy play and bring so closely involved in his development that they still haven’t decided.
I still believe he signs, but this feels like “spin control.”

As mentioned earlier, Adams stated that Johnson will be an NHLer and it was up to Johnson to decide whether he wanted to sign or not.  The Sabres deciding now that they may not make him an offer doesn't ring true.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Taro T said:

As mentioned earlier, Adams stated that Johnson will be an NHLer and it was up to Johnson to decide whether he wanted to sign or not.  The Sabres deciding now that they may not make him an offer doesn't ring true.

I agree.  I believe this is Johnson thinking he’s more important than he is.
#Vesey  

49 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Has Johnson's draft stock gone done after playing this year? 

I dont understand what you mean by "draft stock". 

If Johnson doesn't sign Buffalo gets the 63rd pick in the 2024 NHL draft. I'd rather have an NHL defender. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

If Johnson doesn't sign Buffalo gets the 63rd pick in the 2024 NHL draft. I'd rather have an NHL defender. 

Sone people here think, and posted, that he goes back into the draft if he doesn’t sign.   I believe he becomes a  free agent. 

12 hours ago, Two or less said:

Lance says on his podcast Maintenance day one of the holdup's of Ryan Johnson signing with the Sabres is the Sabres are having internal discussions about rather to sign him or take the pick.

This doesn’t make sense or sound like Adams.  

22 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I think he means that the Sabres might believe that the 63rd pick will be a player with greater upside potential than Johnson.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

it would be a 2nd round pick, not a 3rd.

23 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Sone people here think, and posted, that he goes back into the draft if he doesn’t sign.   I believe he becomes a  free agent. 

This doesn’t make sense or sound like Adams.  

Huh?  So it wouldn't sound like a GM to think they might be able to get a better player with a 2nd round pick than what they think he might develop into?  Why wouldn't they have those conversations?  Seems strange they are having them now instead of already having had them tho.

37 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Ryan Johnson becomes a special class of Unrestricted Free Agent on August 15(?) 2023, if he does not sign with the Sabres before then. He is not draft eligible and will not be in the NHL entry draft ever again. 

15 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

it would be a 2nd round pick, not a 3rd.

Huh?  So it wouldn't sound like a GM to think they might be able to get a better player with a 2nd round pick than what they think he might develop into?  Why wouldn't they have those conversations?  Seems strange they are having them now instead of already having had them tho.

It's the 63rd pick and they technically call it the last pick of the 2nd round but splitting hairs if we want to label it that or the first pick of the 3rd. Either way, the 63rd pick of the 2024 draft is worth much less than Ryan Johnson in a Sabres uniform in 2024. That pick if you hit on it would be ready in 2028 or 2029 and that's a long way to wait on something with no guarantee of success. 

If our gm is having a conversation about how the team thinks they can draft a guy at 63rd a year from now and make him better than Ryan Johnson 5 years from... the lost the plot and we need to seriously question their decision making. It makes no sense to travel that road at all. 

27 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I think he means that the Sabres might believe that the 63rd pick will be a player with greater upside potential than Johnson.  

If true, then I have extreme fears about who is steering this ship and to where. The Leinonen pick already put me on high alert but if this is the line they feed us, they have lost the plot and don't understand NHL drafting or development which has been the Achilles heel of this franchise since 2010 in at least. 

18 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

It does not sound like Adams.  He has been talking about signing Johnson and said that he thinks he is an NHL player.  

Why would the Sabres wait until now to reconsider signing him in favor of a very late 2nd round pick next year, not this year?  

I'll bet if there is a problem, it is with what Johnson wants in the contract.  

If Johnson walks he walks, and we take the pick.  It will not have any effect on the team next year, Johnson should most likely play in Rochester next season and we should be upgrading the defense with proven NHL players in an effort to improve to a playoff caliber team.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Ryan Johnson becomes a special class of Unrestricted Free Agent on August 15(?) 2023, if he does not sign with the Sabres before then. He is not draft eligible and will not be in the NHL entry draft ever again. 

It's the 63rd pick and they technically call it the last pick of the 2nd round but splitting hairs if we want to label it that or the first pick of the 3rd. Either way, the 63rd pick of the 2024 draft is worth much less than Ryan Johnson in a Sabres uniform in 2024. That pick if you hit on it would be ready in 2028 or 2029 and that's a long way to wait on something with no guarantee of success. 

If our gm is having a conversation about how the team thinks they can draft a guy at 63rd a year from now and make him better than Ryan Johnson 5 years from... the lost the plot and we need to seriously question their decision making. It makes no sense to travel that road at all. 

No, they will technically call the 65th pick the last pick of the 2nd round that year.  Provided no other 1st round picks from either 4 years ago nor 2 years ago walk on their teams that is.

Don't have issue with you calling the pick a 3rd rounder as it is pretty close to the beginning of the 3rd and prior to Seattle joining the league somebody picking there would be using a 3rd rounder to make that selection.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

If true, then I have extreme fears about who is steering this ship and to where. The Leinonen pick already put me on high alert but if this is the line they feed us, they have lost the plot and don't understand NHL drafting or development which has been the Achilles heel of this franchise since 2010 in at least. 

As you know, I am a big believer that prospects closer to NHL ready have more value.  In my prospect list, I tend to favor guys closer to NHL ready, which is why Rousek is ahead of more talented guys like Polatpov and Kisakov.  IMHO it still could be 2-4 years before either of those guys see NHL ice while Rousek is ready now to contribute. I still have Johnson ahead of Rousek.  I think he's very close to NHL ready.  

Also given our lack of D prospects, I would like to see him signed.

That said, Johnson was a Jbot pick and KA and his staff may not like how he projects here long-term.  

It's past time for KA to make this decision.  Sign him or don't, but let's forward one way or the other.  This shouldn't be taking this long.

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

As you know, I am a big believer that prospects closer to NHL ready have more value.  In my prospect list, I tend to favor guys closer to NHL ready, which is why Rousek is ahead of more talented guys like Polatpov and Kisakov.  IMHO it still could be 2-4 years before either of those guys see NHL ice while Rousek is ready now to contribute. I still have Johnson ahead of Rousek.  I think he's very close to NHL ready.  

Also given our lack of D prospects, I would like to see him signed.

That said, Johnson was a Jbot pick and KA and his staff may not like how he projects here long-term.  

It's past time for KA to make this decision.  Sign him or don't, but let's forward one way or the other.  This shouldn't be taking this long.

Adams could have already made a decision. He is not obligated to make a statement saying they are not signing Johnson.

Like some have mentioned, it probably has come down to Johnson thinks he is NHL ready and the Sabres do not.

3 minutes ago, Stormcloudmember66 said:

I can see Buffalo balking at signing an undersized dman. Especially after watching the team struggle against larger more physical forechecking teams. Personally i think they should still bring him on and go for another larger physical defensive dman via trade or FA

Undersized???   Out of curiosity what height / weight do you think he is?