The Johnson watch has started

Turbo44

Fascinating. Maybe Johnson just wanted to focus on relaxing and finishing the school year.

But... he did just let Metsa take all his postseason appearances with the Amerks. Johnson could have been getting valuable experience playing with longtime veteran Bartkowski, meshing with his future teammates, etc.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Well Adams is on a signing spree right now (Novikov, Komarov, Okposo)so who knows.

Those are my thoughts exactly. If it’s going to happen, it will happen any second now. 

17 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Fascinating. Maybe Johnson just wanted to focus on relaxing and finishing the school year.

But... he did just let Metsa take all his postseason appearances with the Amerks. Johnson could have been getting valuable experience playing with longtime veteran Bartkowski, meshing with his future teammates, etc.

He let Metsa take his national championship too, so it’s only fair. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 6

On 5/23/2023 at 6:36 PM, PerreaultForever said:

I'm not debating that aspect. What I'm saying is that Murray got full control and proceeded to ***** things up royally. There might still be an argument as to why Lafontaine left, but I think there has to have been some sort of conflict over direction and the "plan" at that time. In any event, I think we will agree that Murray was a bad hire and a rookie GM like that should have never had the control he had and the ability to make all those poor decisions he made. 

If only they'd hired Rick Dudley above him, it might have ALL been different..........................

My recollection is that LaFontaine hired Nolan, then he hired Murray.  LaFontaine was out of town for the Ryan Miller trade, something he was against doing.  His tear down was not supposed to be a complete and total tear down like  Murray did,  which was to get rid of every player that ever cared about wearing the Sabres sweater. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, freester said:

Elliot Friedman says Sabres are confident Ryan Johnson will sign with them. 

If he does sign w/ the Sabres, Maddy Glab or Marty Biron or whomever in Pegulaville interviews players really needs to sit down w/ him and have him explain in detail how THIS course was best for HIM.  It works great for the Sabres or remains exactly the same for them if it actually happens as it either gets them 1 extra year on an ELC & as an RFA or it might because of his age leave them exactly where they would've been had he signed this spring.  (Too tired to bother to look up his age at present.)

But don't see what he gets out of it other than a relaxed end of his semester at Minn.  Maybe that was enough.

42 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

Is it possible they’re negotiating bonuses and there is disagreement there?

Possible but I think it’s unlikely.  I don’t think there are really that many options to disagree on.  I think the bonuses for ELC contracts are set in stone by draft position.  I think the only variable is the actual salary, but we are just talking about the difference between 725k and 950k.  I feel like Sabres would just give him the max.

1 hour ago, RochesterExpat said:

Is it possible they’re negotiating bonuses and there is disagreement there?

They offered him the same bonus as Okposo:  an extra $500k if the Sabres win the Cup.

😉

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Possible but I think it’s unlikely.  I don’t think there are really that many options to disagree on.  I think the bonuses for ELC contracts are set in stone by draft position.  I think the only variable is the actual salary, but we are just talking about the difference between 725k and 950k.  I feel like Sabres would just give him the max.

I looked into it and they’re not. Apparently teams get a healthy amount of latitude for selecting categories of performance bonuses on each contract.

That being said, given the cap situation in Buffalo, I don’t understand why that would really matter. The only possible issue is that Buffalo is going to hit the team performance bonus cap next season. I’m too tired to dig further tonight.

14 hours ago, Taro T said:

If he does sign w/ the Sabres, Maddy Glab or Marty Biron or whomever in Pegulaville interviews players really needs to sit down w/ him and have him explain in detail how THIS course was best for HIM.  It works great for the Sabres or remains exactly the same for them if it actually happens as it either gets them 1 extra year on an ELC & as an RFA or it might because of his age leave them exactly where they would've been had he signed this spring.  (Too tired to bother to look up his age at present.)

But don't see what he gets out of it other than a relaxed end of his semester at Minn.  Maybe that was enough.

I don't know what Johnson's intentions are. I'm hoping that he will sign with the Sabres. I think that you hit on the reason why he hasn't made a decision to sign: He simply needs time away from playing big time college hockey and going to school. He needs to decompress from the pressurized world of hockey, school and being a pro prospect that he has been immersed in for so long. 

He will ultimately have to make a decision on what is in his own best interest. Fortunately, the Sabres are in a position where whatever he decides to do will have little impact on this franchise. This franchise has accumulated enough talent to absorb such a perceived setback. If he doesn't join our system it will simply give another player a better opportunity to play.

What's interesting is that more than a few hockey analysts who are not affiliated with the Sabres have all said the same thing: That Buffalo would be a good situation for him from a positional need and being part of an emerging franchise. We shall see. 

I just got the latest news. I'm late to the party. 

Edited by JohnC