The Johnson watch has started

Turbo44

1 minute ago, Cascade Youth said:

I don’t know about the agent thing but this team seems to have an awful hard time closing these things out and it’s a possible red flag.

When else has Adams had a hard time closing "these things"? 

1 minute ago, Cascade Youth said:

I don’t know about the agent thing but this team seems to have an awful hard time closing these things out and it’s a possible red flag.

I think the Sabres are about to become a prime destination. Portillo was afraid to compete with Levi. When we were bad, you could see why there might be some hesitation. Not sure what Johnson's issue is, but I doubt it is in any way an indication of how the Sabres are currently perceived.

Johnson might be realizing the opportunity in Buffalo may not be as certain as it seems. Especially if our scouts, who’ve been watching him all year, question his current NHL readiness. And if KA and Co. have discussed this with him and Brisson, then I suspect they will want to see if other teams agree. I also think KA is gonna go balls to the wall to sign the best FA Dman to pair with Power, thus knocking Joki down to third pair where he belongs, and making Johnson’s opportunity that much narrower in the process.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Do to Covid, Ryan Johnson still has a year of eligibility left at Minnesota, the Sabres Rights to him still end on 8/15/23 though. 

If he'd rather play in college 1 more year than get on with his life, then good luck to the team that signs him as a FA.  They'll need it.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Lots of people can think this is not a huge loss but it is.

Buffalo took all the time and money to develop this player And they get nothing out of it but a 3rd round pick.

And probably Buffalo didn't want to draft a certain defense in drafts because they thought Johnson was gonna be in the fold.

This has ripple effects but people don't see that

How much time and money did they really spend? He's not under contract. 

7 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Lots of people can think this is not a huge loss but it is.

Buffalo took all the time and money to develop this player And they get nothing out of it but a 3rd round pick.

And probably Buffalo didn't want to draft a certain defense in drafts because they thought Johnson was gonna be in the fold.

This has ripple effects but people don't see that

Time and money are secondary.   I wanted him in Rochester for a season, and available for call up if needed.  Having a defensive player down there that doesn't have to clear waivers to go back down is his best value to the team next year.  

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Maybe "Dad" is telling him not to go to Buffalo for whatever reasons?!?!  I'm moving from what was high anticipation to "Meh - he ain't gonna sign with us" reality now.

Agree.   But we don't know what Adams is saying either.  

14 minutes ago, Cheektorado said:

I'm confused.  Cap Friendly and Spotrac have Power on his last year of his ELC next season.

Right. So he can sign a new contract after the new league year begins and that will take effect in '24-'25.

But why the Q's about Power in the Johnson thread?

• Thanks (+1) 1

Last offseason it genuinely concerned me that Johnson wouldn’t sign.

This season?  After adding Power, Boosh, and Stillman, I’m not convinced there is room for him.

The only emotion I’ll show for Johnson is the rooting against him I’ll do because he didn’t sign.  And I won’t spend much emotion doing even that.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Weave said:

Last offseason it genuinely concerned me that Johnson wouldn’t sign.

This season?  After adding Power, Boosh, and Stillman, I’m not convinced there is room for him.

The only emotion I’ll show for Johnson is the rooting against him I’ll do because he didn’t sign.  And I won’t spend much emotion doing even that.

And had they only added Power, am nearly certain Johnson would've signed.  Probably still would've without the Stillman signing and the reports of trying to land Chychrun. 

But it looks like the probability that Adams will bring in a top 4 guy combined with everybody else they have that is 3rd pairing or tweener quality is going to scare him off.  So, as we say on our beer league team: #### that guy.

• Thanks (+1) 1