Levi to start vs. NYR on Friday

PASabreFan

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

Letā€™s remember people that Miller gave up like 7 to Detroit in his debut and Askarov got lit up like a Christmas tree for Nashville in his debut. I hope Levi has a great game but if it doesnā€™t go smoothly no one needs to jump off a building or write an angry novel on here about it.šŸ˜€

Oh but they willĀ 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, inkman said:

What if he gives up 7 on Friday ?

Nah. Granato learned how to pull a goalie recently. 5 at most.

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

Letā€™s remember people that Miller gave up like 7 to Detroit in his debut and Askarov got lit up like a Christmas tree for Nashville in his debut. I hope Levi has a great game but if it doesnā€™t go smoothly no one needs to jump off a building or write an angry novel on here about it.šŸ˜€

This is muddled from the age-old battle of Time. Miller did give up 15 goals (6 vs. NYI and 7 vs. DET) in his 3 games in the 2003-04. This left the long-lasting memory in people's minds that he got shelled in a debut because the next season was the lockout and he was in the AHL. It was the bad taste left in the mouth.

But Miller had made his debut the season prior in 2002-03. He had 15 games and went 6-8-1 (a tie vs SJ) with a .902% and 2.63 GAA. His NHL debut was an OT loss to NJ (4 goals allowed).

6 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Nah. Granato learned how to pull a goalie recently. 5 at most.

This is muddled from the age-old battle of Time. Miller did give up 15 goals (6 vs. NYI and 7 vs. DET) in his 3 games in the 2003-04. This left the long-lasting memory in people's minds that he got shelled in a debut because the next season was the lockout and he was in the AHL. It was the bad taste left in the mouth.

But Miller had made his debut the season prior in 2002-03. He had 15 games and went 6-8-1 (a tie vs SJ) with a .902% and 2.63 GAA. His NHL debut was an OT loss to NJ (4 goals allowed).

Thanks, you are right. Overall he had a rocky start to his NHL career but it didnā€™t reflect how his career would turnout. If Levi gives up 6 or gets a shutout it is only a single game in what we hope is a long career.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Good for the playoff push?

Ā 

Our goalies have let in 4 or more 14 of our past 24 games ā€” 7 or more 5 times! ā€” and you're worried about them trying someone new?

I think that it would be negligent not to give the kid a shot.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Our goalies have let in 4 or more 14 of our past 24 games ā€” 7 or more 5 times! ā€” and you're worried about them trying someone new?

I think that it would be negligent not to give the kid a shot.

I can't get there with ya. This group with all its warts in goal have gotten us within hailing distance of the playoffs. They deserve to play it out. Anderson the cagey vet or Comrie with a recent shutout work for this game. How does it play in the lockerroom is one concern of mine. On a technical level there's the critical issue of communication between goalie and esp. D.

This is about showcasing the future. Again, the present can go to Hell.

13 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I can't get there with ya. This group with all its warts in goal have gotten us within hailing distance of the playoffs. They deserve to play it out. Anderson the cagey vet or Comrie with a recent shutout work for this game. How does it play in the lockerroom is one concern of mine. On a technical level there's the critical issue of communication between goalie and esp. D.

It could be that he's been a wall in practice.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

The only reason Iā€™m not fully there with you is, I have no idea how Levi has looked in practice.

If (big if) KA had any priority or urgency tied to getting into the playoffs, this seems like a decision counter to that goal (again, with no knowledgeable of how Levi has looked in practice). Ā Itā€™s fairly high risk - high reward in terms of winning enough games to have a shot at the playoffs, and high risk - high reward is pretty counter to KAs strategy to date.

So this certainly seems a ā€œdonā€™t block the kidsā€ move, not ā€œletā€™s prioritize getting into the playoffsā€.

Will be interesting to see if Levi had the stuff to make the reason behind the decision irrelevant.

5 minutes ago, Weave said:

The only reason Iā€™m not fully there with you is, I have no idea how Levi has looked in practice.

If (big if) KA had any priority or urgency tied to getting into the playoffs, this seems like a decision counter to that goal (again, with no knowledgeable of how Levi has looked in practice). Ā Itā€™s fairly high risk - high reward in terms of winning enough games to have a shot at the playoffs, and high risk - high reward is pretty counter to KAs strategy to date.

So this certainly seems a ā€œdonā€™t block the kidsā€ move, not ā€œletā€™s prioritize getting into the playoffsā€.

Will be interesting to see if Levi had the stuff to make the reason behind the decision irrelevant.

I donā€™t agree. I realize Comrie had a nice week, and Iā€™ve been advocating to see him moreā€¦but plain and simple, our goalies are inadequate. Below average is generous.Ā 
Ā 

The Sabres are not sacrificing anything toward a playoff run by starting the kid. Iā€™m more interested in what Levi can do cuz Andy looks outta gas and UPL ainā€™t it.Ā 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.