Levi to start vs. NYR on Friday

PASabreFan

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

That 2.8% chance has already incorporated that the other 3 teams the Sabres are chasing will likely play at their season averages (or close to it, depending upon the individual opponents).  If those 3 all play at their pace through 73+ games, the Aisles end with 94, the Pens 91, and the Swamp Cats 89.  The Sabres would likely have the tiebreak with the Pens, so they need to get to 91 at a minimum.   But figure they realistically have to get to 92 or 93.  That means 7-1-1 or 8-1-0.

They play the Canes in Buffalo, so we almost definitely know where the 1 L comes.  To make the playoffs they can at most lose 1 other game in OT/SO.

Can't see any way the Sabres get to 93 (or even 91) using the goalies they've used to date.  So, the effective chance to get in without playing Levi is 0.0%.  Playing Levi isn't high risk, it's the only way to even get to that 2.8% chance of getting in.

Many are still making it ALL about the Goalie when the team hasn't played D in most every game this year.  

21 minutes ago, Night Train said:

Many are still making it ALL about the Goalie when the team hasn't played D in most every game this year.  

It isn't ALL about the goalie.  But there's pretty much no chance of them making the dance continuing to throw out who they've been putting out between the pipes.  Really want to see these last 9 games being Levi's predominantly and when he can't go / needs a break / has shown he can't get it done at this point then play Comrie to find out what he is.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

It isn't ALL about the goalie.  But there's pretty much no chance of them making the dance continuing to throw out who they've been putting out between the pipes.  Really want to see these last 9 games being Levi's predominantly and when he can't go / needs a break / has shown he can't get it done at this point then play Comrie to find out what he is.

I'm not sure why people are so terrified about Levi starting "because playoffs".

To me, there's a far better chance that he might go on a run than either Comrie or UPL, neither of whom has shown the ability to string together a run of good games.

Short term, if he sucks and lets in 4 early, what are we going to do, say "I knew it, we should have started Comrie"? Because there was no chance that was going to happen to Comrie?

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Let’s remember people that Miller gave up like 7 to Detroit in his debut and Askarov got lit up like a Christmas tree for Nashville in his debut. I hope Levi has a great game but if it doesn’t go smoothly no one needs to jump off a building or write an angry novel on here about it.😀

I think it was 5 goals but I remember Miller being near tears after that game. Levi seems to have that same drive towards excellence. 

50 minutes ago, Night Train said:

Buffalo is giving up the 7th most shots agains/60min, and 4th mosts high danger chances against/60min.    I agree, they definitely need to play better team defense.

That said, on home ice (as of March 22) their goaltending has given up a league high 35 goals above expected, 135% worse than the 5th worst team... and 493% worse than the 10th worst team.

Here's a post from March with more home ice goaltending stats... basically they'd be a wildcard team if they simply had average goaltending performances at home.  

Edited by pi2000
  • Thanks (+1) 1

• PASabreFan changed the title to Levi to start vs. NYR on Friday
1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I'm not sure why people are so terrified about Levi starting "because playoffs".

Ugh. Internet.

Lets dial it back here.  We have one poster that feels starting Levi is a sign that playoffs are second fiddle to the GM.  We have a second poster who said “I’m not there yet “ but I can see where it is out of character for a GM that much more calculating than gambler, and it was prefaced by stating that this is said with no idea how Levi looked in practice.  So, you’ve got one and maybe a half a poster that thinks this is a do not block the kid move.  And pointing out that it is high risk- high reward in terms of winning the game falls way short of the terrified of Levi losing “because playoffs” threshold.

So lets dial back the hyperbole, eh?

Edited by Weave
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

To me, there's a far better chance that he might go on a run than either Comrie or UPL, neither of whom has shown the ability to string together a run of good games.

Short term, if he sucks and lets in 4 early, what are we going to do, say "I knew it, we should have started Comrie"? Because there was no chance that was going to happen to Comrie?

Nothing is knowable then, Rummy. We also don't know that Comrie wouldn't also have played lights out if Levi ends up doing so.

The outcome is almost irrelevant to me. The actual decision to play Levi is objectively wrong to me on several levels.

It could work though.

2 minutes ago, Weave said:

It was hyperbole.  Don’t be too honored.

Wait, are you still half the people I am?

Edited by PASabreFan

30 minutes ago, Weave said:

Ugh. Internet.

Lets dial it back here.  We have one poster that feels starting Levi is a sign that playoffs are second fiddle to the GM.  We have a second poster who said “I’m not there yet “ but I can see where it is out of character for a GM that much more calculating than gambler, and it was prefaced by stating that this is said with no idea how Levi looked in practice.  So, you’ve got one and maybe a half a poster that thinks this is a do not block the kid move.  And pointing out that it is high risk- high reward in terms of winning the game falls way short of the terrified of Levi losing “because playoffs” threshold.

So lets dial back the hyperbole, eh?

Wait PA and a handful of other random internet accounts don’t constitute “people”?

I must ponder this.

Over rum. 🥃

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Wait PA and a handful of other random internet accounts don’t constitute “people terrified of losing because playoffs”?

I must ponder this.

Over rum. 🥃

Fixed. And correct.

Mmmmm…… rum.

There is no evidence to suggest that Levi doesn't give the Sabres the best chance to win tomorrow.

There is a body of work--especially over the last month plus--to suggest that the other goalies don't.  And just like Skinner with shootouts, the coaches (granted, they do not have my full trust) watch practice and we don't.

So let him play, it's at least SOMETHING to watch tomorrow night, and quit pooping in the punch bowl.

Edited by Eleven

7 minutes ago, Eleven said:

There is no evidence to suggest that Levi doesn't give the Sabres the best chance to win tomorrow.

There is a body of work--especially over the last month plus--to suggest that the other goalies don't.  And just like Skinner with shootouts, the coaches (granted, they do not have my full trust) watch practice and we don't.

So let him play, it's at least SOMETHING to watch tomorrow night, and quit pooping in the punch bowl.

Gatekeeper!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.