Devon Levi Signed to 3 year deal

sabresparaavida

39 minutes ago, John Tucker said:

I kinda feel sorry for him.  He's only going to be as good as the sh$t show on the ice in front of him, and we all know what that looks like.

Not worried about this year.  But... wasn't Northeastern a mediocre program and Levi put them in the national rankings? 

• Agree 2

12 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Is Devon Levi Jewish? Have there been other Jewish sabres of note?

He is.  Other Jewish Sabres (I don't know about "of note") include Mike Hartman and David Littman.  And almost Chychrun.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

He is.  Other Jewish Sabres (I don't know about "of note") include Mike Hartman and David Littman.  And almost Chychrun.

and Josh Bloom.  So are Adam Fox and the Hughes brothers.

PS: Why does it matter?

The 2020/21 U20 Canadian team - Cozens, Quinn, Krebs & Levi.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

3 hours ago, Eleven said:

Nothing wrong w/ curious.  I didn't take your question to mean anything other than that.

Agree.

Nowadays even asking a question can be seen as something that it absolutely isn’t.  Sadly. 
I have opinions as to why, but then I’d be suspended 😂

• Thanks (+1) 1

14 hours ago, JohninMinn. said:

There is a reason comedy clubs are going extinct.

This is just simply untrue. 

There are 499 comedy clubs in the US, they have seen a 1% year over year decline the last 5 years, and they have a projected market size of $330M in 2023.  Source below (albeit not to APA standards).

It’s almost like a decisive narrative was introduce into the public discourse for the benefit of a few and somehow has made its way to a non-playoff teams message board as a pithy comment while the user is unaware their acceptance of that narrative continues to perpetuate it to no benefit of their own.  

Now THAT is comedy…

😂😂

Todah for involuntarily coming to my Ted Talk.

https://www.ibisworld.com/industry-statistics/market-size/comedy-clubs-united-states/

• Awesome! (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

This is just simply untrue. 

There are 499 comedy clubs in the US, they have seen a 1% year over year decline the last 5 years, and they have a projected market size of $330M in 2023.  Source below (albeit not to APA standards).

It’s almost like a decisive narrative was introduce into the public discourse for the benefit of a few and somehow has made its way to a non-playoff teams message board as a pithy comment while the user is unaware their acceptance of that narrative continues to perpetuate it to no benefit of their own.  

Now THAT is comedy…

😂😂

Todah for involuntarily coming to my Ted Talk.

https://www.ibisworld.com/industry-statistics/market-size/comedy-clubs-united-states/

Comedians performing at comedy clubs is one thing, but several modern day satirists have said they will no longer accept invitations to appear at college campuses and that is indeed a sad commentary. 

• Agree 2

59 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Why. 

Seinfeld is the biggest name that will no longer perform on campus.  He's been quite outspoken about it.  Pretty sure you could find several interviews with him with a quick search.

(He can state his position far more eloquently and accurately than we could.)

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Comedians performing at comedy clubs is one thing, but several modern day satirists have said they will no longer accept invitations to appear at college campuses and that is indeed a sad commentary. 

These types of gigs have always had restrictions. This is not a new phenomenon. 

Personally I think this is a good sign. It’s good that comedians no longer have to play corporate and college gigs because they have other avenues for cash, namely podcasts.

Today, a comedian that doesn’t take a college gig indicates one of two things to me: 1) they don’t need the money 2) they aren’t creative enough or bold enough to perform their act in an “unfriendly” space.  

And if #2 is the reason their act probably isn’t that great in the first place…

Sorry to sidetrack the thread.  Shalom Levi!  Go Sabres!

Edit: I created a new thread aboot comedy. Not sure how to move these posts over there though…

Edited by SHAAAUGHT!!!

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Seinfeld is the biggest name that will no longer perform on campus.  He's been quite outspoken about it.  Pretty sure you could find several interviews with him with a quick search.

(He can state his position far more eloquently and accurately than we could.)

He’s much more likely to be lurking around high schools anyway… 

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

These types of gigs have always had restrictions. This is not a new phenomenon. 

Personally I think this is a good sign. It’s good that comedians no longer have to play corporate and college gigs because they have other avenues for cash, namely podcasts.

Today, a comedian that doesn’t take a college gig indicates one of two things to me: 1) they don’t need the money 2) they aren’t creative enough or bold enough to perform their act in an “unfriendly” space.  

And if #2 is the reason their act probably isn’t that great in the first place…

Sorry to sidetrack the thread.  Shalom Levi!  Go Sabres!

Edit: I created a new thread aboot comedy. Not sure how to move these posts over there though…

None of them have cited those reasons for refusing invitations. And I don’t think any of them have a problem with being creative, either, as non-creative satirists tend not to get gigs in any venue, let alone college campuses. 

College venues have long been the bastion for cutting edge satire. The greats like Mort Sahl, Dick Gregory, and others were  highly sought after and they helped establish colleges as an audience eager to hear them. They were long considered a proving ground for their material. But something has definitely changed in the last 10-15 years. 

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

In a nutshell, they cite the reason is because many in today’s college audiences simply don't, won’t, or can’t understand satirical commentary. 

Yup.  Most comedians can't perform routines that were fine just a few years ago.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.