Devon Levi Signed to 3 year deal

sabresparaavida

8 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

NCAA is practically the NHL, right?

I don't think I'd be too far out of line to suggest a .942 career save % in NCAA may translate to relatively equal results to what kkkkkk has put up in his pro career, even if he's fresh out of school.

There's still quite a bit of upside with Levi, whereas k^6 doesn't show a lot of promise to improve all that much from .895 this season with the Sabres or his career .895 in the AHL.

I think the Sabres are rushing him, which is more a reflection on the team's desperation to make the playoffs than anything. Sometimes you might get a Binnington or a Barrasso who are great when they're plugged into a good system, but the Sabres' defense is really terrible. They just hang their goalies out to dry.  If Levi gets shelled, hopefully Granato won't inexplicably keep him in for ten goals like he did to Comrie. I just didn't understand why Granato didn't pull Comrie for his morale and for that of the team. Apparently, Granato is learning how to coach while the team is learning how to play.

Edited by Quint
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Quint said:

I think the Sabres are rushing him, which is more a reflection on the team's desperation to make the playoffs than anything. Sometimes you might get a Binnington or a Barrasso who are great when they're plugged into a good system, but the Sabres' defense is really terrible. They just hang their goalies out to dry.  If Levi gets shelled, hopefully Granato won't inexplicably keep him in for ten goals like he did to Comrie. I just didn't understand why Granato didn't pull Comrie for his morale and for that of the team. Apparently, Granato is learning how to coach while the team is learning how to play.

I'd much rather see him in Rochester, but as others have said, he had a little leverage here. He can be 'with the team', not playing much but collecting an NHL contract, not riding a bus in the minors but staying in first class hotels in the NHL, and even if they told him he won't play much he can 'enjoy' those things while he probably gets some time off from the grind and workload in college, time off he may need (mentally if not physically).   Bring him to camp next year of course, and if he blows everyone away as the best goalie he makes the team.  If he doesn't....even if he is at the same level as everyone else...then he goes to Rochester.  Honestly, I'm fine with it either way, i'm fine with them pushing him/rushing him A BIT, but if he is clearly not ready then do not rush him that much where he is put in a bad situation.

I don't see how KA saves face if Levi gets a game with the Sabres still in the playoff race technically. What's the takeaway? It's a must win and I didn't end up with ONE go to goalie?

Of course it probably wouldn't and shouldn't be KA's call. Alas: development!

5 hours ago, JohninMinn. said:

The same Buffalo fans that said Josh Allen would fail, Patrick Kane couldn't help are saying don't play Levi. Fear doesn't win championships.

Put him in the net.   He has been the man in college, from everything I've read, he's the real deal, is mentally very good and can translate to the NHL right away.  His d was lousy at NE, so seeing a lot of shots won't matter to him.   Doesn't seem like the NHL level will affect him mentally, which is the big concern I guess. 

1 minute ago, OrangeSeatVertigo said:

Put him in the net.   He has been the man in college, from everything I've read, he's the real deal, is mentally very good and can translate to the NHL right away.  His d was lousy at NE, so seeing a lot of shots won't matter to him.   Doesn't seem like the NHL level will affect him mentally, which is the big concern I guess. 

I agree. But let Levi tell DG when he’s ready to start. 

20 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

What is happening here.

Exactly what I said would happen. People can’t complain about how he won’t sign here so now have moved on to how he will not live up to expectations.

Miller got bombed for like 7 goals against Detroit in his debut. Didn’t affect how his career went.

Some people hope he is the franchise saviour. They are terrified to see him play net because the first weak goal that goes in will absolutely destroy them mentally.

They signed him to a 3 year deal to play. Put him in for a few games and see how he does. If he falls on his face then no problem, the Amerks are the plan next year anyways. If he shows well then ride him. The other goalies aren’t providing consistent goaltending right now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Exactly what I said would happen. People can’t complain about how he won’t sign here so now have moved on to how he will not live up to expectations.

Miller got bombed for like 7 goals against Detroit in his debut. Didn’t affect how his career went.

Some people hope he is the franchise saviour. They are terrified to see him play net because the first weak goal that goes in will absolutely destroy them mentally.

They signed him to a 3 year deal to play. Put him in for a few games and see how he does. If he falls on his face then no problem, the Amerks are the plan next year anyways. If he shows well then ride him. The other goalies aren’t providing consistent goaltending right now.

I think that's a mischaracterization of what's going on here.  Some (like me) want to see him play ASAP.  Others want to wait because they're worried a bad debut will destroy his confidence permanently.

48 minutes ago, OrangeSeatVertigo said:

NU

42 minutes ago, MBD said:

I think that's a mischaracterization of what's going on here.  Some (like me) want to see him play ASAP.  Others want to wait because they're worried a bad debut will destroy his confidence permanently.

Is it OK to think that if you have a must win you should play the goalie who gives you the best chance to win without regard to selling hope, player development, process and the like?

6 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Is it OK to think that if you have a must win you should play the goalie who gives you the best chance to win without regard to selling hope, player development, process and the like?

Of course.  But I'm approaching this as the season is over.

10 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

I don't think I'd be too far out of line to suggest a .942 career save % in NCAA may translate to relatively equal results to what kkkkkk has put up in his pro career, even if he's fresh out of school.

There's still quite a bit of upside with Levi, whereas k^6 doesn't show a lot of promise to improve all that much from .895 this season with the Sabres or his career .895 in the AHL.

You may get your wish soon enough. I figure Levi will have to at least face some Tage Thompson slappers in practice first.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

25 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Why can’t that goalie be Levi?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

When Jake McCabe and Casey Mittlestadt were signed late in the season, people were excited to get them in and see what they could do.

Levi was a far more dominant college player than either of them.

Linus Ullmark played 20 games at 22 in first pro season. UPL played 4 when he was 22. Swayman played 10 games for the Bruins after 3 years college. Spencer Knight played 4 after 2.

Levi is 21 and just finished one of the top 3 careers in college history. He’s shown he’s reached a level where he’s worth a game and the Sabres goalies have shown they aren’t getting the job done.

Some people are acting like he is 16 and will be broken beyond repair and the Sabres season along with it.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

19 hours ago, msw2112 said:

Adams: "You're a good guy, but it's not working out here.  We're willing to trade you back to Winnipeg for a 7th round draft pick, a bag of pucks, or future considerations, if they are willing to take on your contract next season.  You did well there.  If they won't take you, we'll look at other teams too.  If that doesn't work out, Rochester is a nice city."

ef8.jpg

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.