Devon Levi Signed to 3 year deal

sabresparaavida

2 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

He's the starter going forward buffalo just needs to get a good back up vet for him next year.

Agreed.  But what to do with Comrie and UPL?  I’m fine sending Comrie down and if he gets claimed he gets claimed but does UPL have any eligibility left to be sent down?  

3 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Agreed.  But what to do with Comrie and UPL?  I’m fine sending Comrie down and if he gets claimed he gets claimed but does UPL have any eligibility left to be sent down?  

I realize this is not a popular opinion, but I bring both back and have a training camp fight to see who makes the team.

UPL showed flashes this year (yes, I know both good and bad) and he still can get better. Comrie had some good games, and a lot of his 'bad' games came when he returned from an injury and there is a chance he was playing through something for most of the year.  If, IF you can find someone who is clearly better than both who is OK with possibly being a #2 guy and is on only a couple year deal then do it, but that goldilocks situation might be hard to find.

Just now, Weave said:

UPL and Comrie both under contract for next season, no?

I realize either or both could be sent to Roc next season, but if I were betting on it I’d put my money on a 3 headed monster of Levi, UPL, and Comrie with one getting 40 or so games and the other two splitting the rest.

If Adam’s is all in on Levi, and he’s purposely left an opportunity open for him to be buffalos starter sooner than later, I think the Sabres might be better served to bring in a capable vet.  Sabres either develop Levi in Roch or Buff.  If he’s good enough to learn on the job from Day 1 next season then I think I would rather a vet Levi can lean on.  

Didn’t Levi say something after signing about how excited he was to get to work with Anderson because of all his experience?  I haven’t looked at goalie names who may be available but someone with a little more left in the tank than Anderson but has lots of experience and can play 30 games would be ideal imo. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I realize this is not a popular opinion, but I bring both back and have a training camp fight to see who makes the team.

UPL showed flashes this year (yes, I know both good and bad) and he still can get better. Comrie had some good games, and a lot of his 'bad' games came when he returned from an injury and there is a chance he was playing through something for most of the year.  If, IF you can find someone who is clearly better than both who is OK with possibly being a #2 guy and is on only a couple year deal then do it, but that goldilocks situation might be hard to find.

Fair points and I agree with you on UPL.  I think based on age he can still get better and would love to find him a bunch of games in Roch if Levi ends up winning the job in Buff.  

I know the Sabres rolled two young guys in Miller and Biron in our last hay day but I would prefer for our rookie to have someone more experienced to interact with every day and in practises.  If Sabres feel Levi has a reasonable chance to be the NHL starter next year then they should be making moves to support that.  Imo that means bringing in a decent vet backup and run those two. 

2 minutes ago, Derrico said:

If Adam’s is all in on Levi, and he’s purposely left an opportunity open for him to be buffalos starter sooner than later, I think the Sabres might be better served to bring in a capable vet.  Sabres either develop Levi in Roch or Buff.  If he’s good enough to learn on the job from Day 1 next season then I think I would rather a vet Levi can lean on. 

It's only two games, but it's looking like the plan may very well be to give him the opportunity.

Which kinda precludes bringing in a Saros or a Demko.

The question then becomes can they find somewhat in a sweet spot of being good enough to carry the load if Levi falters yet disposable enough to gracefully step aside if he doesn't.

Because it doesn't feel like Comrie or UPL is that player.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Levi's level of play, the way he's been handled, and the way the Sabres have handled prospects in general lead me to believe the plan since last summer was Anderson and Comrie this year while giving UPL every opportunity to shove his way to the front and Comrie and UPL next year, giving Levi every opportunity to push his way to the front.

I wonder if that plan still holds.

Edited by dudacek

Sounds like a condition of his to sign was that he becomes a starter sooner than later. Unless he craps the bed the rest of the season and/or looks terrible in training camp next year, he will be the starting goalie in Buffalo.  

14 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Didn’t Levi say something after signing about how excited he was to get to work with Anderson because of all his experience?  I haven’t looked at goalie names who may be available but someone with a little more left in the tank than Anderson but has lots of experience and can play 30 games would be ideal imo. 

I agree that the Sabres and Levi would be better served with a proven vet.  I just don’t think that is what will happen.  I think there will be a competition among who we have currently and the winner will start about 40ish games.

Id be pleasantly surprised if KA got a good vet netminder and UPL and Comrie weren’t on the roster.

1 minute ago, MBD said:

Sounds like a condition of his to sign was that he becomes a starter sooner than later. Unless he craps the bed the rest of the season and/or looks terrible in training camp next year, he will be the starting goalie in Buffalo.  

There is this as well

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Varlamov ufa

Another thing to consider…

What decent veteran goalie signs a 1 or 2 yr deal?

And what decent veteran comes knowing that the chosen one has already been anointed?  It would be a goalie already relegated to life as a backup. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, MattPie said:

That's always the question, can he adapt when shooters find a hole? I like to think he's got the mindset to do it, but time will tell.

In just watching highlights, he does seem to lose the puck at times. In FLA, there was one where it was right by his skate and he was looking around, and in the first game it seemed like there were a couple times he was searching. Hopefully that's just an adjustment on the speed the puck is moving in the NHL and not something more telling.

He does lose the puck a bit.  He's also playing with literally brand new pads that aren't dimensioned the same as the ones he's used the past 2 years.  Give him a full training camp with this gear and the lost pucks go away.

And pretty sure that the book on him is going to be to get traffic in front and try to get deflections.  With a secondary plan of try to get him moving across the crease and then shoot high.  The 1st of which, is what it is, the D will need to keep Levi's sight lines clear and the counter is also that  a lot of traffic in front will lead to odd man rushes the other way for the Sabres due to their speed.  The 2ndary plan can be thwarted by playing good D.  And based on his reaction, anticipation, and reflexes doubt that 2ndary plan is going to be as effective as the doubters expect.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Weave said:

And what decent veteran comes knowing that the chosen one has already been anointed?  It would be a goalie already relegated to life as a backup. 

Or, and again I haven't looked into specific names yet, is there someone out there with a big cap hit that may be playing a 1a 1b situation with good experience?  I think our cap should be fine for the next couple of years until more of these big raises to the kids continue to kick in.  Could we trade for someone we're describing who may be better option?  If the goalie has a decent cap hit we may be able to get for cheap.  Thinking like what they tried to do with Matt Murray.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Or, and again I haven't looked into specific names yet, is there someone out there with a big cap hit that may be playing a 1a 1b situation with good experience?  I think our cap should be fine for the next couple of years until more of these big raises to the kids continue to kick in.  Could we trade for someone we're describing who may be better option?  If the goalie has a decent cap hit we may be able to get for cheap.  Thinking like what they tried to do with Matt Murray.

There is Varlamov but I'm really on the fence regarding his personal stuff.  Although, he did win an abuse-of-process suit against his alleged victim, so maybe benefit of the doubt should prevail.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Derrico said:

Fair points and I agree with you on UPL.  I think based on age he can still get better and would love to find him a bunch of games in Roch if Levi ends up winning the job in Buff.  

I know the Sabres rolled two young guys in Miller and Biron in our last hay day but I would prefer for our rookie to have someone more experienced to interact with every day and in practises.  If Sabres feel Levi has a reasonable chance to be the NHL starter next year then they should be making moves to support that.  Imo that means bringing in a decent vet backup and run those two. 

UPL is subject to waivers beginning this summer based on years since signing his ELC. It's Buffalo or lose him to any team needing a backup goalie or facing injuries.

Edit: This could be the lone reason why Levi starts the year in Rochester to get all the starts. Let Comrie and UPL hold the fort until a trade can be brokered because someone loses a goalie... OR... one of them is terrible and you can slip them through waivers. But based on what I've seen of Levi in the Northeastern games, WJC, and now NHL... he's not going to give GM Sheevyn the chance to send him down.

Edited by DarthEbriate

1 hour ago, DarthEbriate said:

UPL is subject to waivers beginning this summer based on years since signing his ELC. It's Buffalo or lose him to any team needing a backup goalie or facing injuries.

Edit: This could be the lone reason why Levi starts the year in Rochester to get all the starts. Let Comrie and UPL hold the fort until a trade can be brokered because someone loses a goalie... OR... one of them is terrible and you can slip them through waivers. But based on what I've seen of Levi in the Northeastern games, WJC, and now NHL... he's not going to give GM Sheevyn the chance to send him down.

IF they don't make a move for a vet to pair wtih Levi, would rather have Comrie as the backup but expect there is less likelihood somebody would claim him off waivers.  So, would expect that UPL and Levi (not necessarily in that order) would be the tandem.

It just makes too much sense to bring in Gerber to Levi's Ward to believe Adams doesn't at least look for one.  Saros would be the dream, but don't see any way that Adams would pay what it would cost to get him.  Varlamov could be the guy they pencil in.  Doesn't cost anything but cap space and he would definitely be able to shoulder the load should Levi falter.  He's already used to being the really good backup to to a top guy so as long as he can get past the kid barely being old enough to buy vodka, it could work.  Plus, maybe he misses having goal support.

1 hour ago, MISabresFan said:

Wonder if Levi could head to Rochester for the playoffs (apologies if already mentioned)?  I also have read on the Amerk site, that Subban is playing better.   

No he can't.  He's under contract to the Sabres on an ELC and wasn't on the Amerks roster on the trade deadline.

2 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

They don’t need to send a goalie down.  We will see a 3 headed monster next season unless a bunch of injuries leaves us no choice but to send a goalie down.

20 minutes ago, Weave said:

They don’t need to send a goalie down.  We will see a 3 headed monster next season unless a bunch of injuries leaves us no choice but to send a goalie down.

Hoping you're wrong.  Expecting you're not.

Still would bring in a vet with a track record on a 2 year deal.  Trade one of the others and send the worst of the 3 remaining to Ra-cha-cha at the end of camp.

6 hours ago, Weave said:

More and more teams are wanting to split time with goalies.  The vet would get paid like a starter but would slowly work his way to backup.  GMKA would have to be willing to overpay some to get it done.  Someone would be interested in coming to an ascending playoff team.  Levi will benefit greatly with a vet versus the UPL/Comrie alternative.  Having Levi displace him will not affect his future contracts.  In the meantime, he gets well paid and not overplayed!

It’s exciting that Levi has put himself in the conversation for Buffalo next year. I figured he was good but this start is great. I think he is their best goalie so Rochester is not his destination. He has a few more games to build his case.

If Comrie or UPL has to go, so be it. It sucks to lose an asset to waivers but perhaps there’s a trade possibility.

It’s like if Savoie beats out Jost at camp, you keep Savoie instead of sending him back to the WHL.

I would love to see Varlamov as a 1B, pushing the other guys further down the line.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.