NHL Trade Deadline 2023

LGR4GM

32 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I’m hoping it’s ‘24 and none of last year’s three number ones but I don’t think it’s likely.

3 minutes ago, Contempt said:

Games like last night are why it needs to be a 2024 or at the minimum top 10 protected in 2023

LA had to give up a first to get Columbus to take him.  Even with the Sabres' goaltending situation, I would hesitate to give up a first round pick in ANY year for a 37 year old struggling (.876 SV%?!) goalie with a month left on his contract.  The Sabres need goaltending; Quick is not the answer.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I don’t know what to think re:trades. Stillman deal we probably overpaid. We can’t have that happening too often.

Our defense after top 3 is horrendous. We have a chance to get in this year but can’t mortgage the future. It’s too bad VO is in his “I don’t like scoring phase” as we head into the deadline. I believe he would be a good moveable piece for a team that needs scoring but alas, he has chosen not to do that currently.

But it’s clear, we need to shore up our defense whether it’s now or in the summer. Still unsure about the net but if we have a real defense maybe that problem is sorted out?

6 minutes ago, Eleven said:

LA had to give up a first to get Columbus to take him.  Even with the Sabres' goaltending situation, I would hesitate to give up a first round pick in ANY year for a 37 year old struggling (.876 SV%?!) goalie with a month left on his contract.  The Sabres need goaltending; Quick is not the answer.

I agree, but I didn't think I was responding about Quick. Thought it was re: Chychrun

9 hours ago, dudacek said:

Holy *****! Blake with some cold ass dealing there. (It’s apparently a 1st and Quick for Korpisalo and Gavrikov)

Quick must be furious.

Also, does this affect their ability/desire to get Chychrun?

The still have the pieces even without their first, but if the Coyotes aren’t taking salary back, how do they fit Chychrun under the cap?

is quick retiring at end of year too? or just due for FA. i read "shouldve let him ride off into sunset his last 2mos", or we just talking a rental UFA? why would columbus even want him either way? worst team in league getting rental?

28 minutes ago, Eleven said:

My post wasn’t regarding Quick. I wouldn’t give up anything above the fourth round for him. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

is quick retiring at end of year too? or just due for FA. i read "shouldve let him ride off into sunset his last 2mos", or we just talking a rental UFA? why would columbus even want him either way? worst team in league getting rental?

Columbus got LA's first round pick in return for taking him.

Quick may or may not retire but his contract is up.

1 minute ago, tom webster said:

My post wasn’t regarding Quick. I wouldn’t give up anything above the fourth round for him. 

Ok I misunderstood two of you then--sorry!  (But you did quote a tweet about quick)

Edited by Eleven

7 minutes ago, Stormcloudmember66 said:

I would not touch any dmen from Philthy! There is a reason they suck

Agreed, but it's good to have an equivalent option when negotiating. AZ only wants to talk nonsense? Ok, we can go talk to Philly about their top 4 guy under term with a PR problem thats probably cheaper than what you want AZ 

19 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Columbus got LA's first round pick in return for taking him.

Quick may or may not retire but his contract is up.

Ok I misunderstood two of you then--sorry!  (But you did quote a tweet about quick)

No worries but the tweet involved was talking about Columbus being interested in Chykhurm and LG disputing it because of their defensive depth.

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Do you realize Matt Irwin is in Washington’s top 6 this season and would be an upgrade for Bush, Clague, Bryson and Stillman. How sad is that ?

Well Bryson was better than Irwin when he was here, Bush has been better than Bryson, and Clague has been comparable/slightly better than Bryson. We haven’t seen Stillman here yet, but this is quite obviously based more on your unending negativity more than fact.

4 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

unending negativity

So you say, but the facts support my argument.  You can take it as negative, but sometimes the truth hurts.  

For example, the Sabres are 5-21-3 when scoring 3 or less (1-13-1 at home).  Our GAA last season was 3.5 and this year it's 3.51.  Our save % was .894 last year and .893 this year.  No improvement.  Our PK was 76.42 last season and is worse this season at 72.35.  This despite adding Power, Lyubhskin, Clague, and Comrie and moving on from Miller, Hagg, Pysyk, Tokarski and Butcher.   Something clearly isn't working and it's not being negative to point of the truth.  

However, I'm not negative.  I've been saying since last off-season that this is a playoff team with the right tweaks on defense and in goal.  Since he got the tweaks wrong in the off-season, why is it wrong to ask for him to correct the course and fix the known problems?

• Thanks (+1) 1

Chemistry quiz.

KA has been talking a lot about character and wanting to be here. I know it is important but should it outweigh making moves?

I hate the Leafs but am interested on how the playoffs go for them. They kept the core but brought in 6 new faces to date. More than 1/4 of the team is changed at the deadline.

Is the culture of the core more important than the culture of the whole team?

Does talent trump all?

I still believe goaltending will be their downfall, but this much turnover could cause problems too.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Chemistry quiz.

KA has been talking a lot about character and wanting to be here. I know it is important but should it outweigh making moves?

I hate the Leafs but am interested on how the playoffs go for them. They kept the core but brought in 6 new faces to date. More than 1/4 of the team is changed at the deadline.

Is the culture of the core more important than the culture of the whole team?

Does talent trump all?

I still believe goaltending will be their downfall, but this much turnover could cause problems too.

Goaltending AND overall defense. I feel even upgrading the goaltending is not the whole answer unfortunately.

16 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

So you say, but the facts support my argument.  You can take it as negative, but sometimes the truth hurts.  

For example, the Sabres are 5-21-3 when scoring 3 or less (1-13-1 at home).  Our GAA last season was 3.5 and this year it's 3.51.  Our save % was .894 last year and .893 this year.  No improvement.  Our PK was 76.42 last season and is worse this season at 72.35.  This despite adding Power, Lyubhskin, Clague, and Comrie and moving on from Miller, Hagg, Pysyk, Tokarski and Butcher.   Something clearly isn't working and it's not being negative to point of the truth.  

However, I'm not negative.  I've been saying since last off-season that this is a playoff team with the right tweaks on defense and in goal.  Since he got the tweaks wrong in the off-season, why is it wrong to ask for him to correct the course and fix the known problems?

I don't think anyone disagrees with your argument that we need another good defenceman and better goaltending and Adams needs to do something about it. I think most of us think those things are obvious.

It's the constant repetition and conclusion that it means Adams has no plan and is doing a terrible job.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

If you had said Psysk or Miller, your argument might have made sense, but Irwin    Wouldn’t have started here this year (outside of the 8 game streak during injuries). 

19 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

With Toronto tight against the cap they can't activate Matt Murray from long term IR. I know we tried to get him at the draft and spurned us, anyone think we can pry him away from them? 

Murray still has the Sabres on his No Trade List.  That ship has sailed.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.