NHL Trade Deadline 2023

LGR4GM

12 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

He has a M- NTC kick in July 1.

That can be a factor for sure; but it just means he gives a list of teams. But they may still think if a team doesn’t give them a deal they want this year they can get a deal next year if teams bid for him. Who knows? But they are asking way above what seems reasonable. Which may mean they are in no hurry since they also have him in we contract for several years. 

Of course, I would love to have the dude! He’s a helluva player. 

1 minute ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

That can be a factor for sure; but it just means he gives a list of teams. But they may still think if a team doesn’t give them a deal they want this year they can get a deal next year if teams bid for him. Who knows? But they are asking way above what seems reasonable. Which may mean they are in no hurry since they also have him in we contract for several years. 

Of course, I would love to have the dude! He’s a helluva player. 

Yea but they've now sat him for 2 weeks. Would you want to put the uniform back on after that?

Just now, Brawndo said:

Works for me 

Bryson's gf is friends with Dahlin's gf so I don't think he gets traded. 

14 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

This has to set a known price for Chychrun now impo. 

What's the Sabres trade equivalent?

EDM is making the playoffs so consider that a 2023 lottery protected 1, a 4, a cap dump with mid value to make the money work on EDM side not necessarily to help Nashville, and the equivalent of a late one/early 2 who is several years out.

From BUF: lottery protected 2023 1st, 2023 4th, Östlund or Leionen (chosen because they are close to Schaefer in draft slot and just as far away from the NHL, Kulich is closer), Bishop's contract to keep them above the cap floor, and the rights to Johnson?

Just now, LGR4GM said:

You don't wanna trade this years 1st. Well, I don't. 

I also would rather not

Edited by Contempt
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Why don't you? 

I think he solves some of our issues. Personally I want Jiricek but he's not for sale.

Agreed on the latter item.

That aside, when it comes to Chychrun, I don't think he's as good a fit for Buffalo as people make him out to be. He's not a puck-moving defenseman and his passing leaves a lot to be desired for a player of his caliber. His strength is his shot first followed by his play along the boards and his reads. While he has played on his off-side, his stats aren't as good as when he's playing on his left. Do we really need another left-shot D-man? I'd rather we find a player who can move the puck and pass the puck before we start targeting D-men where the strength is the shot. There's also the concern on his contract renewal cost in two years and our cap situation then, but that's less of a concern.

Like I said, I don't think he's a good fit. It's not that I don't think he's a stellar hockey player because he is. I just think for the price they're reportedly asking, I'd want a player who is a better fit for our roster/situation.

And, honestly, I think my big hang up is I believe we need a starting goalie first. I'd be willing to give up our 1st for Juuse Saros before Chychrun if that makes sense. And specifically Saros because he's posted outrageously good numbers considering the horrendous defense in front of him that gives up similar scoring chances as the Sabres. My biggest hangup with him is Nashville still blocks substantially more shots than Buffalo so I don't know if we'd see a true translation of his play. Which leads me to another point against Chychrun: he blocks fewer shots than Dahlin. I'd like us to fill that gap as well.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

I’m not buying that as the reason for a 23 point +/- differential. Hughes plays on power plays and Schenn does not.

Hughes is only +12. And both play on a team that is -36. Take Dahlin (+23) and Samuelsson (+7) on the same line. Would Samuelsson be -16 on a different line? 

And whatever others say, plenty of analysts rate Schenn as a quality fence set the past few years. 
And more than that, Schenn is a more physical player. Which is exactly what we need. But don’t have. 

The Canucks were a 5-player team this year. Pettersson, (Horvat -- mostly PP), JT Miller, Kuzmenko, and Hughes. Hughes was on the ice when that team scores PP and EV. Quinn and Pettersson are the ones driving them up ice and Schenn benefits from that. When those guys aren't on the ice, then Boeser (-24) is their next best weapon. And when those 4 aren't on the ice, the weak defensemen and goaltending get exposed. Vancouver wasn't giving Stillman o-zone draws when Quinn was available; Stillman was 2nd among VAN defensemen in D-zone start % (and Brisebois ahead of him had only 9 GP).

I'm not arguing that Stillman is nearly as good as Schenn. And I agree that Schenn's checking and his steady, veteran ways would've been a better fit for the Sabres short term. But one got Hughes and the other got Myers.

If Samuelsson had played all season with Bryson or Pilut or Clague, and the Sabres had Vancouver's level of secondary scoring, yes... Muel would look quite the bit worse in terms of +/-. And also no Power... the Canucks don't have an equivalent of him to help hold the 2nd pair. Dahlin and Q.Hughes significantly tilt the ice and possession for their squads.

6 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

Agreed on the latter item.

That aside, when it comes to Chychrun, I don't think he's as good a fit for Buffalo as people make him out to be. He's not a puck-moving defenseman and his passing leaves a lot to be desired for a player of his caliber. His strength is his shot first followed by his play along the boards and his reads. While he has played on his off-side, his stats aren't as good as when he's playing on his left. Do we really need another left-shot D-man? I'd rather we find a player who can move the puck and pass the puck before we start targeting D-men where the strength is the shot. There's also the concern on his contract renewal cost in two years and our cap situation then, but that's less of a concern.

Like I said, I don't think he's a good fit. It's not that I don't think he's a stellar hockey player because he is. I just think for the price they're reportedly asking, I'd want a player who is a better fit for our roster/situation.

And, honestly, I think my big hang up is I believe we need a starting goalie first. I'd be willing to give up our 1st for Juuse Saros before Chychrun if that makes sense. And specifically Saros because he's posted outrageously good numbers considering the horrendous defense in front of him that gives up similar scoring chances as the Sabres. My biggest hangup with him is Nashville still blocks substantially more shots than Buffalo so I don't know if we'd see a true translation of his play. Which leads me to another point against Chychrun: he blocks fewer shots than Dahlin. I'd like us to fill that gap as well.

I agree that we need a goalie as well and I share your concern about Saros. I don't see the Sabres getting a goalie right now though. At least not one that will move the needle significantly.

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

He’s well connected with LA, so there probably is something there 

Kings need a goalie as much as we do unless they're planning on the gamble of Copley for the rest of the season. Quick is not good this season.

**Sorry, I meant this in the context of I'm not sure Chychrun makes sense for them.

Edited by RochesterExpat
clarified what I was trying to say because I can't into posting

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.