NHL Trade Deadline 2023

LGR4GM

8 minutes ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

Schenn had a +15 last year and has a +9  this year on a bad team. 
We got Riley Stillman who is -14 on the same team. And zero goals. 
Who got the better deal? 
#SMH

Please do note their partners. Schenn has played a bunch with Quinn Hughes (57 pts +12) the last couple years. He's been their Tallinder for baby-Myers Hughes. Stillman was with numerous folks including OEL (-24), Burroughs (-12), and Myers (-14). The Canucks are a 1-line, 1-pair team. It's like if the Sabres had Dahlin, no Muel, no Power, and a bunch of Clague/Bryson/Fitz. That bottom pair would look like garbage.

Edited by DarthEbriate

I don’t know why Arizona would trade Chychrun for less than they want to get - which is a high asking price - unless they are poor and need to get rid of an expensive contract. He still has two more years on his deal. No way would I give up Kulich or Savoie. But we will see. They may just say, “If we don’t get what we want we keep him til next year.”

1 minute ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

I don’t know why Arizona would trade Chychrun for less than they want to get - which is a high asking price - unless they are poor and need to get rid of an expensive contract. He still has two more years on his deal. No way would I give up Kulich or Savoie. But we will see. They may just say, “If we don’t get what we want we keep him til next year.”

He has a M- NTC kick in July 1.

3 minutes ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

Schenn had a +15 last year and has a +9  this year on a bad team. 

We got Riley Stillman who is -14 on the same team. And zero goals. 

Who got the better deal? 

#SMH

I like how we use +/- when it suits our purposes.

Can we continue to pretend that they played with the same partners too and that it doesn't matter?  Or that they had similar usage patterns? Or ignore that they have different skill sets and that doesn't matter either? Or that one is nearly 25 and the other is nearly 34? Can we also continue to ignore that the nicest thing I've said about Stillman to this point is "he might not suck"?

I don't need Stillman to score goals. I don't care how many goals Schenn scored either.

The Sabres gave up a known commodity in Bloom. You know who the player is and at this point they think they know about what he will become.  The Leafs gave up a lottery ticket. Nobody knows who that player will be or what they will become.  Which would you rather have, a 100% Josh Bloom or a small chance at Brayden Point?

1 minute ago, Contempt said:

The Sabres gave up a known commodity in Bloom. You know who the player is and at this point they think they know about what he will become.  The Leafs gave up a lottery ticket. Nobody knows who that player will be or what they will become.  Which would you rather have, a 100% Josh Bloom or a small chance at Brayden Point?

Say what now?  Bloom is absolutely not a known.  And if he is a known and they moved him anyway, that should tell you that what KA does know about him indicates that he sees more value in Fitz2.0 than he does in what he knows about Bloom.

I can’t believe the energy being expended over the movement of a guy with about 10-15% chance to play 100 games in the NHL.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Weave said:

Say what now?  Bloom is absolutely not a known.  And if he is a known and they moved him anyway, that should tell you that what KA does know about him indicates that he sees more value in Fitz2.0 than he does in what he knows about Bloom.

I can’t believe the energy being expended over the movement of a guy with about 10-15% chance to play 100 games in the NHL.

I agree with you BTW and what I was getting at is that Josh Bloom will always be Josh Bloom and in order to trade Josh Bloom you have to find someone who likes Josh Bloom.  A 3rd round pick can still be anybody and it's easier to sell the concept of a lottery ticket than a defined player if the defined player is a meh prospect

Edited by Contempt

3 minutes ago, Weave said:

Agreed

11 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Please do note their partners. Schenn has played a bunch with Quinn Hughes (57 pts +12) the last couple years. He's been there Tallinder for baby-Myers Hughes. Stillman was with numerous folks including OEL (-24), Burroughs (-12), and Myers (-14). The Canucks are a 1-line, 1-pair team. It's like if the Sabres had Dahlin, no Muel, no Power, and a bunch of Clague/Bryson/Fitz. That bottom pair would look like garbage.

I’m not buying that as the reason for a 23 point +/- differential. Hughes plays on power plays and Schenn does not.

Hughes is only +12. And both play on a team that is -36. Take Dahlin (+23) and Samuelsson (+7) on the same line. Would Samuelsson be -16 on a different line? 

And whatever others say, plenty of analysts rate Schenn as a quality fence set the past few years. 

And more than that, Schenn is a more physical player. Which is exactly what we need. But don’t have. 

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

He has a M- NTC kick in July 1.

And has been patiently waiting more than a year for a promised trade.

Something is going to break.

Curious as to the Ekholm vs Chychrun debate Edmonton must have had.

That package meets the reported Chychrun price in value, but Edmonton had to move salary, and apparently Arizona wouldn’t take it. Wonder what futures Barrie could have been flipped for.

10 minutes ago, Weave said:

I remember being bummed we traded Cluff Pu to Carolina.  Thought for sure he was going to become something 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.