NHL Trade Deadline 2023

LGR4GM

On 3/2/2023 at 10:14 AM, FrenchConnection44 said:

What bothers me about that by Adams is who will be around this summer after these trades? (some of which involved pending free agents that signed long term deals). 

Second, waiting for a couple of draft picks in 2023 to develop - if they do develop! - will take years. 

They could have had a proven commodity in Chychrun for next to nothing, relatively speaking, and that’s not just about this season but the next two years on top of that - in which our young guys will be entering their prime. Can you imagine our defensive prowess?  And then they could look at a two-way forward in free agency (and they have $72 million in cap space).

I get not panicking trying to make a huge run this season. And not trading away prime assets in the system. But when you have a chance to put the team in prime without relinquishing a single player, I don’t get not making that deal. SMH. 

As Greg Wyshinski notes:

The 6-2 defenseman, who turns 25 on March 31, loves to carry the puck and has a terrific shot -- as evidenced by his 18 goals in 56 games in 2020-21, which was his best offensive season. But some pundits have decided that because he generates offense that he does not defend well in his own zone, which is a stereotype that's misapplied to Chychrun. He plays physically along the boards, can defend the net front and has a 70% success rate in zone exits at 5-on-5. One of the reasons he was coveted was because he's a two-way defender.

Se la vie  

Well, mea culpa. 

I take this back now that we know that Arizona was not fair minded in seeking a trade and asking more from us than they did Ottawa. 🤬 them! 

• Like (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

Well, mea culpa. 

I take this back now that we know that Arizona was not fair minded in seeking a trade and asking more from us than they did Ottawa. 🤬 them! 

I very much appreciate you owning this.  😀

• Like (+1) 2

22 hours ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

Well, mea culpa. 

It just means OTT didn't have any prospects they wanted.

Edited by Contempt
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, dudacek said:

He is just poor mouthing.  They are neck and neck with Buffalo and Ottawa right now. He has fewer prospects than Buffalo no doubt, but he now has two 1’s in each of the next two drafts. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

He’s telling the fans that he’s more worried about competing with the Sens and Sabres over the next 5 years than he is with making the playoffs this year.

It’s what Adams has been saying too: they are both trying to build teams that can be what Boston and Tampa have been over the past decade.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.