NHL Trade Deadline 2023

LGR4GM

18 hours ago, Weave said:

Say what now?  Bloom is absolutely not a known.  And if he is a known and they moved him anyway, that should tell you that what KA does know about him indicates that he sees more value in Fitz2.0 than he does in what he knows about Bloom.

I can’t believe the energy being expended over the movement of a guy with about 10-15% chance to play 100 games in the NHL.

This is what happens when Kris Baker’s drooling tweets are posted ad nauseam in the prospects thread. 

I tried.

18 hours ago, Contempt said:

I agree with you BTW and what I was getting at is that Josh Bloom will always be Josh Bloom and in order to trade Josh Bloom you have to find someone who likes Josh Bloom.  A 3rd round pick can still be anybody and it's easier to sell the concept of a lottery ticket than a defined player if the defined player is a meh prospect

We *do* already have a “Josh Bloom”. We can snag another Josh from the Bloomed tree any time we want as long as they keep handing out a fresh set of 7 draft picks to every team, free of charge, every season. His contributing NHL talent was *already* several years away , if at all: no sense prioritizing timeline re: that asset as timeline already is not in its favour: we can simply replace the asset for free 

35 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Chemistry quiz.

KA has been talking a lot about character and wanting to be here. I know it is important but should it outweigh making moves?

I hate the Leafs but am interested on how the playoffs go for them. They kept the core but brought in 6 new faces to date. More than 1/4 of the team is changed at the deadline.

Is the culture of the core more important than the culture of the whole team?

Does talent trump all?

I still believe goaltending will be their downfall, but this much turnover could cause problems too.

We shall soon find out. Typically a top team brings in that 1 player to put them over the edge as well as something for more depth. Shuffling the entire lineup is pretty wild. But these are veteran professionals who will have 20 games to gel. They should be fine.  ROR, Tavares, and Nylander took all of 1.5 games to gel.

30 minutes ago, Radar said:

Goaltending AND overall defense. I feel even upgrading the goaltending is not the whole answer unfortunately.

The goaltending may be unproven in the playoffs, but the overall defense is already there. Toronto is 4th in the NHL in goals allowed/game. They're really strong all around now and have been for a few years.

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

I don't think anyone disagrees with your argument that we need another good defenceman and better goaltending and Adams needs to do something about it. I think most of us think those things are obvious.

It's the constant repetition and conclusion that it means Adams has no plan and is doing a terrible job.

I disagree.  There have been numerous posts here that the guys (like Clague and Bryson) are still young and they'll get better. There was even a post today saying that Joki still has a chance to become Lydman, despite him getting caved again last night.  They say all this is going to happen just be patient.  They say waiting who knows how many years for Levi to save our goaltending is the right plan.  People keep posting about a young team's inconsistency and to just be patient. 

I'm sorry that just doesn't hold water any longer.  While I haven't said in over a year that Adams is doing a terrible job.  As I noted earlier, I have stated since the off-season that we have a playoff-caliber team with the right tweaks on Defense and in goal.  I have stated he has made mistakes in his decision-making on D and in goal.  Stillman is just the latest, and the facts support my argument.  However, I have also praised him when he made good decisions as well.  

Just look at the NJ Devils.  They were exactly where we were last year.  Their GM made the right tweaks on defense and in goal and they are now one of the best teams in the NHL. 

Ultimately it's KA's job to actually fix these problems and I mean really fix them.  No more Pysyks, no more Comries, no more Stillmans.  He has built a playoff-caliber offense, it's past time to give that offense the defense to win consistently.   Things change and a good plan changes with it.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

18 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Yea but they've now sat him for 2 weeks. Would you want to put the uniform back on after that?

Bryson's gf is friends with Dahlin's gf so I don't think he gets traded. 

That would be a horrid reason to not make a deal haha 

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

We *do* already have a “Josh Bloom”. We can snag another Josh from the Bloomed tree any time we want as long as they keep handing out a fresh set of 7 draft picks to every team, free of charge, every season. His contributing NHL talent was *already* several years away , if at all: no sense prioritizing timeline re: that asset as timeline already is not in its favour: we can simply replace the asset for free 

Yes. I agree. Not crying for Bloom.

23 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

If you had said Psysk or Miller, your argument might have made sense, but Irwin    Wouldn’t have started here this year (outside of the 8 game streak during injuries). 

I didn't bring up Irwin, you did. I also didn't say acquire Irwin, I just said he is currently better than Bryson or Clague and how sad that is because Irwin stinks.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

18 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

I don’t quite understand why some of these Eastern conference teams are giving so much of their future in a year where there is so much fire power, and the chances to win the Cup are slim.

Opportunity cost probably. If your guys are in the NOW window, waiting around isn’t going to get it done anyways, you’ll just bleed yourself out 

I think teams feel compelled to join the arms race.

Its like being pot-committed in poker -  that’s the best comparison to give. At some point you are committed enough that the only value play is to keep playing. It’s the inverse of where we’ve been for 10 years: fold when you can to recoup assets. 

Its scary, but one day if we are really lucky and say our prayers, it’ll be us 

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

It doesn't have to be Chychrun but it has to be better than Stillman. There isn't anyone in the pipeline who could be in Buffalo next year except Johnson. We have to add defense from the outside or we will be yet another team with an obvious issue that just festers until it causes the death of another season. 

Have to add before the deadline, or just before next season, in your view? 

- - - 

Greg Wyshynski on Marek saying he still expects plenty of deals and fireworks Friday

8 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

You didn't like the ladies' shopping video on Sabres.com?

Was that a thing? No

Sabres have been a masterclass in social media content since KA took over. Tons of objectively excellent, engagement driving stuff.

Its also all, imo, completely cringeworthy and terrible lol and I can’t stand any of it longer than I need to, to glean what’s going on with the messaging.

I’m not the demo, though. Not their problem 

Edited by Thorny

4 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I don’t see Chyckrun at the trade deadline.   KA is not gonna pay.  

I don’t see any more trades happening.   DG wanted Stillman.  They think they got a good player. 

The only way I'm willing to pay the ask on Chychrun is if Arizona is adding Vejmelka to the trade. I said it before, but I don't think Chychrun alone is the answer to our problems. Vejmelka would be an improvement over our goaltending. It's adding two players with term to fill needs.

Granted, I still think Chychrun isn't an ideal fit for us.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RochesterExpat said:

The only way I'm willing to pay the ask on Chychrun is if Arizona is adding Vejmelka to the trade. I said it before, but I don't think Chychrun alone is the answer to our problems. Vejmelka would be an improvement over our goaltending. It's adding two players with term to fill needs.

Granted, I still think Chychrun isn't an ideal fit for us.

Or Crouse, don't forget Crouse......👍 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

In fairness, it was to support a black-owned business during Black History month.

But I do love the total lack of self-awareness at NHL player girlfriends shopping at a store named "Ms. Eye Candy Boutique."

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

If you are interested/ever get a chance, do a quick perusal of a few of the tweets the Sabres put out versus a few from say, the Jets. The engagement is not comparable - they certainly know what they are doing 

Just now, RochesterExpat said:

In fairness, it was to support a black-owned business during Black History month.

But I do love the total lack of self-awareness at NHL player girlfriends shopping at a store named "Ms. Eye Candy Boutique."

The irony of the store's name was not lost on me either.

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I disagree.  There have been numerous posts here that the guys (like Clague and Bryson) are still young and they'll get better. There was even a post today saying that Joki still has a chance to become Lydman, despite him getting caved again last night.  They say all this is going to happen just be patient.  They say waiting who knows how many years for Levi to save our goaltending is the right plan.  People keep posting about a young team's inconsistency and to just be patient. 

I'm sorry that just doesn't hold water any longer.  While I haven't said in over a year that Adams is doing a terrible job.  As I noted earlier, I have stated since the off-season that we have a playoff-caliber team with the right tweaks on Defense and in goal.  I have stated he has made mistakes in his decision-making on D and in goal.  Stillman is just the latest, and the facts support my argument.  However, I have also praised him when he made good decisions as well.  

Just look at the NJ Devils.  They were exactly where we were last year.  Their GM made the right tweaks on defense and in goal and they are now one of the best teams in the NHL. 

Ultimately it's KA's job to actually fix these problems and I mean really fix them.  No more Pysyks, no more Comries, no more Stillmans.  He has built a playoff-caliber offense, it's past time to give that offense the defense to win consistently.   Things change and a good plan changes with it.  

To be fair, I don't think Clague or Bryson will get much better. 😇

I do think Joker will; I see the flashes of a very solid player for several seasons. I think Muel will get better, Dahlin will get quite a bit stronger, and Power is going to blow our minds when he makes the leaps defensively that Dahlin has since last year's ASG.

As to the Devils I have to flip that on you just a touch. This year's Sabres are where last year's Devils were. The Devils last season were analytics darlings, just as we are this year -- our possession numbers are great this year. But last year, the Devils were sunk by atrocious goaltending. The Sabres have merely been bad as a team the last two seasons (26th last year, 22nd this year). You're right about one thing -- the right goalie and picking up a Marino-caliber player in the preseason might've done it.

Team save %

Last season: NJD .886 ; BUF .899

This season: NJD .911 ; BUF .899

GM Sheevyn just isn't going to try to accelerate it for this season, which has been the stated case all year.

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Do you realize Matt Irwin is in Washington’s top 6 this season and would be an upgrade for Bush, Clague, Bryson and Stillman. How sad is that ?

30 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I didn't bring up Irwin, you did. I also didn't say acquire Irwin, I just said he is currently better than Bryson or Clague and how sad that is because Irwin stinks.

Huh? 

2 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

GM Sheevyn just isn't going to try to accelerate it for this season, which has been the stated case all year.

This is where the arguments fail.  No one is asking KA to accelerate the plan.  All I and others are asking for is for KA to fix obvious holes in the roster.  That doesn't mean spending our pipeline, but what it does mean is making smart deals for guys like Marino to shepherd a young D group and gives decent play.  DR did this with Teppo and then with Lydman to go with homegrown Kalinin, Campbell, Tallinder and McKee.   

25 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Have to add before the deadline, or just before next season, in your view? 

- - - 

Greg Wyshynski on Marek saying he still expects plenty of deals and fireworks Friday

Before next season but the deadline is a great place to do that. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.