GDT: Sabres @ Panthers - Feb. 24, 2023, 7pm, MSG, WGR

LGR4GM

Another great win, in a season in which we've already seen plenty of them with 25 games still to go.  My game notes:

- Anderson was terrific, although it seemed like the shot and save totals were a bit misleading.  I thought the Sabres had somewhat of an edge in carrying the play and Anderson wasn't called upon to steal the game for them -- just to be solid, calm and effective -- although a few of his saves were indeed outstanding (and TBF I did miss the end of the 2nd period and the start of the 3rd).

- Still, a performance like that by Anderson has to give the team confidence for the next time he starts. 

- I think DG will make sure Anderson plays once a week, but I don't see him ramping up Anderson's workload beyond that.  I think they've concluded that they can count on solid play from him when he's rested and recovered, so, he'll end up starting about one of every 4 games.  Otherwise they think he'll probably burn out and then they won't get anything out of him.

- The top line is really firing on all cylinders now.  When they play like that, they are good enough to be the best line in any game, or any playoff series, which is a major factor.

- Still not liking VO's game much, and I've been a longtime VO supporter.  Cozens-VO-JJP, on paper, should be producing much more than they actually are.

- Krebs isn't faking his intensity.  He burns inside, just like Cozens.  It's a great quality to have added to the top 9.  That line is getting closer to producing more offense -- if they can get there, it will be a huge help.

- Overall I thought they played pretty good team D.

- That was a nasty crosscheck into our crossbar that Dahlin caught.  He seems like he's getting banged up.

- Another big game with playoff implications tomorrow at home vs the Caps, then another home game vs CBJ.  They are 2-7 in their last 9 at home and absolutely need to find some mojo at home if they want to make the playoffs.  This is a good time to start.

Go Sabres.

• Like (+1) 6

33 minutes ago, Peter said:

I was fortunate to be at the game. I have not had a chance to read most of the comments in this thread. 

A few observations:

- It was great to see and meet a lot of Sabres fans at the game;

- The way the Sabres break out of our zone is one of the most impressive aspects of the game (especially compared to how we could not seem to do that effectively and consistently for so many years prior to DG);

- I was worried that the Sabres would have trouble on the back end of this road back-to-back against two tough teams especially after the emotional overtime win against Tampa Bay AND the Panthers having four days rest. The Sabres did not seem to have any issue in this regard. They played with a lot of energy and as Ed Jovanovski said in the Panthers post game show, the Sabres played an excellent road game.

Great wins against the Panthers and Lightning. Well done.

Awesome for you to see a great game like that.  

I also noticed that they did much better, and worked a lot harder on their breakouts last night.   Defensive zone play has not been a strength all season and the forwards are a part of the problems.  So I have been harping on that for awhile.  

I thought the Sabres looked tired in the 3rd and they kept it simple and rolled lines quickly, so it was harder to generate offense.  The key was coming back after Florida scored and getting that 3rd goal.  That was good road hockey.   Skinner had just missed a breakaway a few shifts prior when Bobrovsky gave him some room high, blocker side.  Skinner found that same spot but from a much tougher angle to score that 3rd goal.  

The first line showed up last night for sure.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Taro T said:

He may have found a second wind.  If so, trust that Bales will recognize it and set up the rotation accordingly.  But he was struggling from January through the AS break for the most part.  (The Dallas game being the notable exception.)

So you're talking 3 games though, one of which was a .938 SV% in a loss to Ottawa.

Really the only stinker was the Chicago game. He wasn't good against Philly, but the guys in front of them were terrible.

Maybe he's been a little rusty.

1 minute ago, Flashsabre said:

The top line carried the team in the Florida Games.

Giving up 50+ shots to a team without their top 2 centres is not good. Have to clean up the defensive end still.

Not debating your point at all, but am I the only one who was shocked to see the shot count last night?

From my recliner that sure didn't feel like 27 shots in the 3rd.

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

In this case multiple GMs.  

Skinner was brought  in by JBot, who also signed him to that big and questionable contract. 
Tage was brought in by JBot, who had no plan on how to develop him. 
Tuch was a key piece in the Eichel trade, brought in by Adams. 

Adam’s knew how to develop Tage but it is Granato that gets the most credit.  Granato put them together and switched Tage to center, he rehabilitated Skinner, and he helped make Tuch reach new heights.  

Granato seems to know how to bring out the most in players.  

He certainly does. It's pretty remarkable to see almost every player/prospect improve under Granato.  You just have to expect Quinn, JJ and Krebs to continue to improve. It's nothing short of incredible what Granato has done with this roster.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Another great win, in a season in which we've already seen plenty of them with 25 games still to go.  My game notes:

- Anderson was terrific, although it seemed like the shot and save totals were a bit misleading.  I thought the Sabres had somewhat of an edge in carrying the play and Anderson wasn't called upon to steal the game for them -- just to be solid, calm and effective -- although a few of his saves were indeed outstanding (and TBF I did miss the end of the 2nd period and the start of the 3rd).

- Still, a performance like that by Anderson has to give the team confidence for the next time he starts. 

- I think DG will make sure Anderson plays once a week, but I don't see him ramping up Anderson's workload beyond that.  I think they've concluded that they can count on solid play from him when he's rested and recovered, so, he'll end up starting about one of every 4 games.  Otherwise they think he'll probably burn out and then they won't get anything out of him.

- The top line is really firing on all cylinders now.  When they play like that, they are good enough to be the best line in any game, or any playoff series, which is a major factor.

- Still not liking VO's game much, and I've been a longtime VO supporter.  Cozens-VO-JJP, on paper, should be producing much more than they actually are.

- Krebs isn't faking his intensity.  He burns inside, just like Cozens.  It's a great quality to have added to the top 9.  That line is getting closer to producing more offense -- if they can get there, it will be a huge help.

- Overall I thought they played pretty good team D.

- That was a nasty crosscheck into our crossbar that Dahlin caught.  He seems like he's getting banged up.

- Another big game with playoff implications tomorrow at home vs the Caps, then another home game vs CBJ.  They are 2-7 in their last 9 at home and absolutely need to find some mojo at home if they want to make the playoffs.  This is a good time to start.

Go Sabres.

Yup, good stuff Rico. 

VO has had a few d-zone turnovers recently from what looks like lazy play.  He better fix that.  I cant believe that DG played him in the last minute.  I think he was looking for his shot accuracy to help us get an ENG.  

Dahlin and Tuch both looked banged up after that game.  

14 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

That pass caused the coverage to break down. 

It seems teams have decided that the best way to defend our PP is quick pressure on Dahlin, Tage, and whomever is on the other half wall, frequently leaving the middle of the house wide open. That play is there to be made and it was great to see Power take advantage of it. We need to see that more often.

12 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Oh man, I'm bad enough with GIFs at the best of times, but a PA GIF?

You're praying for me? You're praying I'm right? You just think Sabrespace needs more Sofia Vergara?

We all need more Sofia Vergara. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I cant believe that DG played him in the last minute. 

I can… VO has elevated his D zone game lately… He back checks and jumps into board scrums instead of standing around the right circle looking for a pass to unload his one-timer… He’s not scoring like he did, but he is contributing… His goals will come again… He is a streaky goal scorer… Granato gets credit for developing VO into a more complete player, imo

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, dudacek said:

So you're talking 3 games though, one of which was a .938 SV% in a loss to Ottawa.

Really the only stinker was the Chicago game. He wasn't good against Philly, but the guys in front of them were terrible.

Maybe he's been a little rusty.

Not debating your point at all, but am I the only one who was shocked to see the shot count last night?

From my recliner that sure didn't feel like 27 shots in the 3rd.

No.  Am going back to the Otter game that he had good numbers in but didn't play particularly well thought the Kings game.  The ONLY really good stretch in that was the 1st period of the Dallas game.

Btw, that's twice the sample size that people writing Comrie off are looking at over the same period.  And he won all 3 games of his sample.  He played poorly against the Krackers.  He hasn't been a world beater in his other 3 games, but has played well enough.

And, please do not misinterpret this as being sold on Comrie; am not.  But merely don't believe he's had a fair opportunity to show what he might be since recovering from his injury.

And do expect it is more likely than not that Bales and Granato will have the right guy selected on any given night.  But there is a legit reason to NOT start all 3 guys on any given night.  It's an interesting place they're in and really do hope that Anderson has refound a year ago's October magic.  Am cautiously optimistic he has, but don't want him playing every night even if he has.   Do not expect he can hold up to that kind of usage.

Edited by Taro T

And, though the game was horrible, as it changed the rotation of the goaltenders, that debacle against the Loafs might have been the most important game of the season. Anderson was not supposed to play Tuesday nor was he to play last night. He looked like he was 10 years younger this week.

Anderson probably would've had the Tampa game without playing on Tuesday (he often gets the 1st night of back to backs) and not convinced that without the TO game under his belt that he would've gotten that W.

No way to say for sure on any of it, but it is interesting to think about. 

Just now, bunomatic said:

Would like to see Krebbs shoot the puck or drive to the net when he’s basically got a clear path to the net. Last night he chose to pass it to (i think) Cozens who had a guy hanging all over him. Its maddening. Do better Krebbsy !

Pretty sure he tried to get it to Quinn on the play in question.  But, yes, he needs to strengthen up so that he'll trust his shot when he's in that position.  (Will also keep him from getting killed one of these times he gets himself into another inevitable fight with somebody significantly bigger than him.)

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Pretty sure he tried to get it to Quinn on the play in question.  But, yes, he needs to strengthen up so that he'll trust his shot when he's in that position.  (Will also keep him from getting killed one of these times he gets himself into another inevitable fight with somebody significantly bigger than him.)

If Krebs and Quinn could both put on 10lbs of muscle this offseason both should have big breakouts next season

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

And, though the game was horrible, as it changed the rotation of the goaltenders, that debacle against the Loafs might have been the most important game of the season. Anderson was not supposed to play Tuesday nor was he to play last night. He looked like he was 10 years younger this week.

Anderson probably would've had the Tampa game without playing on Tuesday (he often gets the 1st night of back to backs) and not convinced that without the TO game under his belt that he would've gotten that W.

No way to say for sure on any of it, but it is interesting to think about.  

I’m pretty sure last night’s game was Anderson no matter what. It is his current home town. His wife brought an entire neighborhood worth of kids to the game.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I’m pretty sure last night’s game was Anderson no matter what. It is his current home town. His wife brought an entire neighborhood worth of kids to the game.  

Didn't see the pregame show (it didn't record for some reason) but people were making it sound like Granato had implied that initially the FLA game was going to be UPL's.

Your thought makes a lot of sense. 

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

We've been told this. It might be true.

But do we know it?

Based on usage the coach seems to believe so. My preference would be for Anderson and Comrie to split time. There's no question that UPL has improved. But for me he is too erratic manning the pipes when the team is vying for a playoff spot. How Comrie is handled is even more intriguing to me than how Anderson is handled.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.