GDT: Sabres @ Panthers - Feb. 24, 2023, 7pm, MSG, WGR

LGR4GM

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

Defensively, that was without a doubt the best game the Sabres have played since something back in the Bylsma era (when they could play some decent D, they just couldn't score). Yes, there were a lot of shots, but a lot of sight lines were clear and for the most part they cleared the front and the rebounds. Team win all the way. 

They do not look like a team firing on all cylinders. The Barkov injury obviously hampers them, but imo we were simply better and we wanted it more. 

I don't want to over analyze too much, as I'm just happy tonight. It's been a long time coming and maybe we are finally getting there. 

Side notes - Reinhart lost every board battle he was in and just floated around the net like the butterfly he is. My favourite moment of the night was "Reinhart with the giveaway". Add that to Rob Ray's "the egos are no longer in the room" and I'm just smiling. 

I think I will be smiling all night. 

And he still can’t score, thank god.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Which is why they target 7th next.  And should they get there, then put the Loafs in the sights.  And should they get there, go get the Bolts.  The higher in the standings they are, the more room for error they gain. 

But, between 7th and 8th exclusively 8th is the better slot for them.

I'll worry about where they finish after they make the playoffs. Seeding doesn't matter unless we make it. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

The Sabres won this game because of Anderson. He easily earns the first star. 

Our first line is one of the better first lines in the league. Yesterday, Skinner was the set-up man and Tage converted. Today, Tage was the set-up man and Skinner converted. 

I was surprised that Florida got 50 shots off. I still thought that collectively, defensemen and forwards, were on top of the Florida shooters all game long. Anderson didn't allow many tantalizing rebounds after the initial shots. 

This is a very unified team. They don't allow the opposition to take liberties without responding back in an appropriate fashion. 

When Florida played Buffalo in Buffalo I thought they were the better team. Tonight, I thought Buffalo was the better team. 

As the season winds down there will be up and down periods. You can't get too up or get too down after each game. There still a long way to go that will cause a lot of tension and anxiety. We got to play better at home!

I like this team and the staff. 

• Like (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

Wow! 

Anderson!!! 

And, man, I love this team! They still have needs, IMO, but I also loved the end. F*** Tkachuk! Skinner did nothing wrong. It’s not like he is sitting there on the ice looking up at the clock! He was shooting as the buzzer went off. 

But how about Cozens and Krebs going after him! You gotta love both those guys. I love the feistiness of Krebs and Cozens both. Hell yeah! 

Make no mistake, that was a definite FU move from Skinner and Florida deserved it. The thing with Tkachuk though is that he only does that because it’s one of the smaller guys in Skinner who did it. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I'll worry about where they finish after they make the playoffs. Seeding doesn't matter unless we make it. 

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Roll your eyes all you want @Taro T but there's a lot of work left to do before playoff seeding matters. 

I remember 2010 and 2011 too well to agree, Liger.  It matters.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.