Buffalo Bills 2023 Thread

Brawndo

10 minutes ago, inkman said:

This was handled about as poorly as anything I can remember that didn’t mean *****.  Mostly by the fans and media.  I know the sports world is coming to a grinding halt so everyone needs content.  Holy smokes.  I blocked a whole gaggle of losers on twitter who were creaming in their jeans about the whole ordeal.  

Sean helped a bit by not mentioning yesterday that Diggs was around in the morning, and excused from practice, as he clarified today

However, maybe he didn't do that because that is the story they generated after the fact to move spotlights away 

1 hour ago, Goldseatsaud said:

I think is Diggs is questioning Allen now that he is seen with some chick on the NY Post. 

It’s not football related I thought 

You mean well known actress Hailee Steinfeld? Who is the voice of a main character in the #1 movie the world right now? That chick?

hailee-steinfeld-tout-people-01-d9b9a56a

14 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Sean helped a bit by not mentioning yesterday that Diggs was around in the morning, and excused from practice, as he clarified today

However, maybe he didn't do that because that is the story they generated after the fact to move spotlights away 

From “very concerned” to “excused absence” is a bit of the ol’ amateur hour. He was clearly ticked off on Tuesday.

OTOH, he also said on Wednesday that the parties needed a bit of space and time after their meeting on Tuesday. So, he did seem to intimate on Wednesday that the conversation on Tuesday was a tough one. Which is perhaps why he was a bit pissed off on Tuesday.

6 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

From “very concerned” to “excused absence” is a bit of the ol’ amateur hour. He was clearly ticked off on Tuesday.

OTOH, he also said on Wednesday that the parties needed a bit of space and time after their meeting on Tuesday. So, he did seem to intimate on Wednesday that the conversation on Tuesday was a tough one. Which is perhaps why he was a bit pissed off on Tuesday.

If, and this is a big IF, Beane and McDermott are going to be around here for 5+ more years....I wonder if they have 2nd thoughts about bringing in players that are more outspoken, more likely to be active on social media in a way they aren't comfortable with?

Edited by mjd1001

Still think it's the playbook. Diggs had other minor so-called blowups which were nothing in the past. Yet signed the extension last year when he could have triggered a move. The difference was Daboll left to coach the Giants and Dorsey broke his cherry as an OC. The 2nd half of last season, his production went way down.  Message received. 

13 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Thoughts? 

Colin is an idiot but ever since 13 seconds, I have been questioning that I think there may be a coaching problem. Last year all but solidified it for me. That team was a disjointed mess last year and the GM and Coach wasted resources on less important things. 2 years ago the line was bad, last year it was atrocious. They drafted a RB and then didn't even use him. They paid Knox a bunch of money for reasons? They drafted a bunch of edges who suck. They think Gabe Davis is a #2 WR. Their defensive strategies in the playoffs can only be called "playing not to lose" as they literally sit back and pray that 4 guys get pressure against the best and most elusive QBs in the league. Offensively by the end it was "drop back, run routes that take 4 seconds and are 20yrds downfield where everyone is double covered" and it happened over and over and over. Before someone tells me they were the X ranked defense and Y ranked offense, yea in the regular season when they get to beat up on the Patriots but in crunch time against the Bengals or the Chiefs, their strategies have repeatedly failed. 

I think McDermott is an okay coach, he isn't great but he isn't Krueger. The issue is, his adaptability and killer instinct is meh. He is Mark Richt when we need Kirby Smart. Beane, I do not understand why more ppl are not questioning his drafting. Outside of Josh Allen what other player has he drafted that you are like "oh yea, that guy is great!" maybe Oliver? Dorsey... oh my lord did he have the most predictable offense by the time we hit the playoffs. Cook is a good pass catcher and runner and nope, 20yrds downfield, every play. IMPO they have a lot to prove this year because otherwise we will just continually be a team that is 4-6th best. Sometimes you have to pass on the good things, to get the better things. 

12 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Colin is an idiot but ever since 13 seconds, I have been questioning that I think there may be a coaching problem. Last year all but solidified it for me. That team was a disjointed mess last year and the GM and Coach wasted resources on less important things. 2 years ago the line was bad, last year it was atrocious. They drafted a RB and then didn't even use him. They paid Knox a bunch of money for reasons? They drafted a bunch of edges who suck. They think Gabe Davis is a #2 WR. Their defensive strategies in the playoffs can only be called "playing not to lose" as they literally sit back and pray that 4 guys get pressure against the best and most elusive QBs in the league. Offensively by the end it was "drop back, run routes that take 4 seconds and are 20yrds downfield where everyone is double covered" and it happened over and over and over. Before someone tells me they were the X ranked defense and Y ranked offense, yea in the regular season when they get to beat up on the Patriots but in crunch time against the Bengals or the Chiefs, their strategies have repeatedly failed. 

I think McDermott is an okay coach, he isn't great but he isn't Krueger. The issue is, his adaptability and killer instinct is meh. He is Mark Richt when we need Kirby Smart. Beane, I do not understand why more ppl are not questioning his drafting. Outside of Josh Allen what other player has he drafted that you are like "oh yea, that guy is great!" maybe Oliver? Dorsey... oh my lord did he have the most predictable offense by the time we hit the playoffs. Cook is a good pass catcher and runner and nope, 20yrds downfield, every play. IMPO they have a lot to prove this year because otherwise we will just continually be a team that is 4-6th best. Sometimes you have to pass on the good things, to get the better things. 

The early successes of the McBean era were low hanging fruit.  They backed into the playoffs and ended the drought.  They drafted Allen and to their credit stuck with him even though early on it was hard to tell what we had in him.  

Outside of that, most of the moves have been chalk without any big hits in the draft.  The 2nd round picks have been abysmal.  They reached for Edmunds, Elam is good but their handling of him has been weird.  Groot could be great but now he’s buried behind Von and Floyd.  Their asset allocation for the D line has been so unbalanced, they have 4 backups/special team players battling it out for the starting MLB position.  

• Disagree 1

Cowherd takes a decent point about the advantage of having an offensive head coach in today's game, and has combined it with a take that will maximize his clicks, as he has admitted many times it is his job to do. 

I think Mike McDaniel has showed a lot of ability as a coach. But McDermott beat his high flying passing offense 2 out of 3 times, and the loss had us down to our last offensive lineman dressed for the game, no outside WR2 etc. Only one team faced Tua last year and allowed fewer passing yards than the Bills did in ANY of their three dolphins games. And in those 3 games, including the loss, the Bills outgained Miami by a staggering 518 yards. That is almost 200 yards per game. The Dolphins played each game with an insanely aggressive play style, and they did this on purpose. They know their best shot of beating the Bills is forcing turnovers in big moments, at the expense of big plays. That's exactly how it played out but the Bills managed this play style well enough to win the 2 games in the series that mattered the most. It's why, despite 2 fumbles lost inside the Bills 20, and 5 turnovers in the season series, Buffalo managed to put up almost 1400 yards in 3 games. Why they could hit Diggs for 60 on 3rd and 15 or whatever it was. "McDaniel out coached McDermott three times" is laughably simplistic. His strategy was a good thought and is also the REASON they lost the game that gave the division to the Bills, and also ended their season. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Thoughts? 

McDaniels record in those 3 games: 1-2.  Had either Allen not bobbled a snap at the end of the 1st half or McKenzie just moved the ball forward rather than laterally at the end of the 2nd half; the Bills at least attempt a field goal that would've provided the points needed to drop McDaniels to 0-3 in those games.  

Or maybe the "coaching genius" he displayed was designing the stadium to give his sideline 30 degree cooler temperatures than the playing field and the other sideline?  If not that, maybe it was placing an obviously concussed player back on the field for another 1/2 of football?

The guy who made the observation that McDaniels outcoached the other coach is a blowhard that isn't worth our time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Night Train said:

Those sports shows Fox puts on during the weekday mornings/afternoons are just horrid. Who is their program director ?  Any opinions by them concerning our sports teams could be matched by our neighborhood alcoholic at Clancy's Pub. 

Maybe that is their target market?

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Night Train said:

Still think it's the playbook. Diggs had other minor so-called blowups which were nothing in the past. Yet signed the extension last year when he could have triggered a move. The difference was Daboll left to coach the Giants and Dorsey broke his cherry as an OC. The 2nd half of last season, his production went way down.  Message received. 

Occam's razor, right? I'm convinced that Diggs was/is pissed because he's not being treated with the respect he feels he deserves -- just being handed game plans that treat him like a pawn on a chess board. He wants to be heard and he wants to be featured.

5 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

If, and this is a big IF, Beane and McDermott are going to be around here for 5+ more years....I wunder if they have 2nd thoughts about bringing in players that are more outspoken, more likely to be active on social media in a way they aren't comfortable with?

Man, I don't think so. That's just the way of the world nowadays. Diggs is a beast and a top tier WR1. Those don't grow on trees.

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Thoughts? 

That I will never click on a link providing Cowherd content.

2 hours ago, inkman said:

Outside of that, most of the moves have been chalk without any big hits in the draft.  The 2nd round picks have been abysmal.  They reached for Edmunds, Elam is good but their handling of him has been weird.  Groot could be great but now he’s buried behind Von and Floyd.  Their asset allocation for the D line has been so unbalanced, they have 4 backups/special team players battling it out for the starting MLB position.  

I like all of these takes - especially the Elam one. I heard pundits observe that Elam was a somewhat curious pick for this franchise because his skill set didn't readily match what the Bills do on D. And, lo and behold, his usage seems to bear that out.

As for Rousseau (Groot?), he just hasn't shown enough to make it unnecessary to sign players like Von and Floyd.

Edited by That Aud Smell

2 hours ago, inkman said:

The early successes of the McBean era were low hanging fruit.  They backed into the playoffs and ended the drought.  They drafted Allen and to their credit stuck with him even though early on it was hard to tell what we had in him.  

I doubt Groot is buried behind Floyd or anyone else as the starting job is his to lose. When Miller returns Floyd is gonna be penciled in as a situational pass rusher and rotational depth player. He can bring a pass rush up field, but he is weak at the poa, not very good at setting an edge and can be a liability vs. the run as a result. That said, if we can build leads and play ahead later in games, he’s gonna he fun to watch when teams become one dimensional as result. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Maybe that is their target market?

Nah.  It's to create outrage, therefore engagement, and then, following that, to get the engaged person to listen in for the next time he comments on the Bills.

41 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Occam's razor, right?

Ever notice that it's "Occam" with respect to the razor and "Ockham" in every other conceivable context?

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I doubt Groot is buried behind Floyd or anyone else as the starting job is his to lose. When Miller returns Floyd is gonna be penciled in as a situational pass rusher and rotational depth player. He can bring a pass rush up field, but he is weak at the poa, not very good at setting an edge and can be a liability vs. the run as a result. That said, if we can build leads and play ahead later in games, he’s gonna he fun to watch when teams become one dimensional as result. 

I think floyd has improved a lot vs the run but you're absolutely right that in general he is more of Von's mold and would presumably be his replacement in the rotation the way a guy like Shaq would be for Rousseau on the other side 

On obvious passing situations I expect interesting things like Rousseau inside with Oliver so floyd and von are out together