Buffalo Bills 2023 Thread

Brawndo

41 minutes ago, JujuFish said:

Moulds holds the NFL record for most receiving yards in a playoff game. The Bills were in the playoffs 3 of his first 4 years on the team.

I *knew* I should have looked that up. My bad.

Also: Did Kelly throw to Moulds? My memory gets foggier and foggier as the years pass.

5 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

A drought guy? Bold move, Cotton.

I disliked most of the 90s Bills.  Same with the 00s Sabres.  Just not likable guys. Bills were way too arrogant.  Jim Kelly’s weird western Pennsylvania accent always made me cringe. Drury’s “no BS” attitude just rubbed me the wrong way. It was probably necessary for those teams but to borrow a phrase from Craig Rivet, those teams were soft as puppy poop.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 6/15/2023 at 8:42 AM, inkman said:

The early successes of the McBean era were low hanging fruit.  They backed into the playoffs and ended the drought.  They drafted Allen and to their credit stuck with him even though early on it was hard to tell what we had in him.  

Outside of that, most of the moves have been chalk without any big hits in the draft.  The 2nd round picks have been abysmal.  They reached for Edmunds, Elam is good but their handling of him has been weird.  Groot could be great but now he’s buried behind Von and Floyd.  Their asset allocation for the D line has been so unbalanced, they have 4 backups/special team players battling it out for the starting MLB position.  

Gonna have to  disagree with this/ 

They did not back into the playoffs.  The made it during a rebuild.  There was no backing in.  The won  enough games to get it. 

In Allen they have one of the best players in the league.  They deserve only credit for scouting, development, and coaching him.  Look at the QBs in his draft class, many were more heralded.  It is not easy to find and develop a QB.  

You don't win that many games without good drafting and good veteran FA pick ups.   The flops are there and so are the gems. 

• Edmunds is a fine player that we just could not afford to keep. 
  • Elam will play more this season - it is hard to argue with the value they got drafting and acquiring DB's.  
  • Groot has to earn his stripes, Having Miller and Floyd should help him, not hurt him.  

The drafts have not been perfect, none are, EVER, for any team.  But they find players in all rounds, not just 1 and 2.  

• Agree 1

Agree with the above concerning the draft adding help but I differ in one aspect. In what round the help comes makes little difference to me. I'm not writing the checks. Day 1 and Day 2 players don't work out sometimes. I accept that and don't fall to pieces. 

It's scheme, individual effort, off-field lifestyle ..whatever. I hope to get 3 players that can contribute out of each draft and in the cap age, a lot of FA Vet help. 

3 hours ago, Pimlach said:

They did not back into the playoffs.  The made it during a rebuild.  There was no backing in.  The won  enough games to get it. 

In Allen they have one of the best players in the league.  They deserve only credit for scouting, development, and coaching him.  Look at the QBs in his draft class, many were more heralded.  It is not easy to find and develop a QB.  

You don't win that many games without good drafting and good veteran FA pick ups.   The flops are there and so are the gems. 

• Elam will play more this season - it is hard to argue with the value they got drafting and acquiring DB's.  
  • Groot has to earn his stripes, Having Miller and Floyd should help him, not hurt him.  

The drafts have not been perfect, none are, EVER, for any team.  But they find players in all rounds, not just 1 and 2.  

I thought the literal definition of backing in is when another team controls your destiny.  Which the Bengals did on that fateful New Year’s Eve. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I don't agree, I think Allen is covering a lot of Beane and McDermott flaws and mistakes. 

• Agree 2

I try my best to be realistic but my sense is there are deep problems with this team behind the scenes. Hearing that McDermott had his hands in the 13 seconds is scary.  These type of problems often play out in the season when the stress is really ratcheted. If this team fails on the same way we have to make changes. And it potentially could get ugly quick. I hope I’m wrong. If Tua can stay healthy, Miami has a good chance to take the division this year. Like I said… i hope I am wrong. 

3 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

I try my best to be realistic but my sense is there are deep problems with this team behind the scenes. Hearing that McDermott had his hands in the 13 seconds is scary.  These type of problems often play out in the season when the stress is really ratcheted. If this team fails on the same way we have to make changes. And it potentially could get ugly quick. I hope I’m wrong. If Tua can stay healthy, Miami has a good chance to take the division this year. Like I said… i hope I am wrong. 

Coming from an outsider I don't know how you even can believe that lol.

Lombardi  It's just trying to rustle some feathers  And hes also probably trying to help out your ex defensive coordinator get a job right now

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, inkman said:

I thought the literal definition of backing in is when another team controls your destiny.  Which the Bengals did on that fateful New Year’s Eve. 

Nope.  Backing in is when you get in by clinching even though you lost the last game (or few) and were literally going to go backwards in the standings if the teams around you were reasonably competent.

1 hour ago, Gatorman0519 said:

That claim about 13 seconds is pretty widely discredited. It is an important year for the regime to go considerably further in the playoffs. I think anything short of the Conference Championship puts McDermott on the hot seat. Stress always exacerbates tensions and tensions always exist, even in the most amicable relationships. It's the human condition. I wouldn't bet a lot of money on Tua staying healthy for the year. I'd still favor the Bills. We are the better team. Last year there was an unprecedented combination of injury, tragedy, and weather related issues that cumulatively took its toll. I don't expect that level of adversity this year. As long as key players avoid serious injury, the Bills are just as much a Super Bowl contender as last year without the hype.

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, inkman said:

On that final Sunday of the week the Bills needed to win and they did.  They also needed the Ravens to lose to Cincinnati.  They also did.  

The Bill won their game and got it.  Just because the Raven lost happened 5 minutes later does that mean the Bills backed in?  What if the Ravens game ended first, then the Bills finished with a win 5 minutes later?  Would you still say they Bills backed in?  

This happens to teams every year.  What other fan base calls this backing in?  You play your schedule and you follow the league sanctioned tie-breakers.  

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

On that final Sunday of the week the Bills needed to win and they did.  They also needed the Ravens to lose to Cincinnati.  They also did.  

The Bill won their game and got it.  Just because the Raven lost happened 5 minutes later does that mean the Bills backed in?  What if the Ravens game ended first, then the Bills finished with a win 5 minutes later?  Would you still say they Bills backed in?  

This happens to teams every year.  What other fan base calls this backing in?  You play your schedule and you follow the league sanctioned tie-breakers.  

I’m glad you and the majority of the fanbase are smitten with McBean. They are good. Just not sure they are great.