Buffalo Bills 2023 Thread

Brawndo

Oliver is a 1 Gap DT who needs a space eater NG next to him to take up 2 blockers. That allows him to penetrate up the middle. That is the worst scenerio for any QB, who can step up in a pocket to avoid the outside rush. Phillips and Jones were both hurt last year. Now the Bills have another 1 gap DT in Poona Ford to rotate in. On paper, it does look better... but it's up to the NG position to stay healthy in order for inside pressure to work. 

Oliver reminds me of the Knox signing. It was based on them being "their guys!" instead of what was best for the team. Both are fine but aren't exactly game breakers on any consistent basis. I think both are overpaid. 

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Oliver reminds me of the Knox signing. It was based on them being "their guys!" instead of what was best for the team. Both are fine but aren't exactly game breakers on any consistent basis. I think both are overpaid. 

I agree a little with this but think they are the kind of signings that won’t hurt you based on the impending increases in salary cap and the fact that both players will fall in line with where there AAV’s fall in relation to similar players and both have potential to improve dramatically based on age and experience. Oliver, for example will be about the 17th highest paid player at his position by the start of the season and probably mid-20’s by start of next season.

The details of the Oliver deal show it to be a very team friendly deal all the way around. Great job by Jimmy O on the sructure.

And for those lamenting his poor play, take a very close look at his entire games. When not hindered by the high ankle sprain last season, he routinely gets QBs off their mark and ranks high in run stuffs as well. Sometimes it ain’t about the raw stats. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I love the Leonard Floyd signing.  Not exactly sure how they fit him under the cap, other than the Oliver signing created cap space.  Now sure what this means for Shaq Lawson, but he is an upgrade for the D front 7.

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-sign-edge-rusher-leonard-floyd

Not sure what it means for Lawson, but pretty sure it means the Bills don't have to try to rush Miller back week 1 but can keep him on the PUP list until week 6 letting that knee heal up as much as it is going to do so.  And when Miller is back, having a line of Miller Jones Oliver and Floyd on obvious passing downs with the possibility of sending Milano in as well should be giving OC's fits with the 2ndary healthy too.

I like the Floyd signing and assume it means curtains for either Epenesa or Basham, probably via trade for something like a 4th-rounder next year.

I also like the Oliver extension, and Oliver generally, although I think his play tailed off last year, possibly due to injury.

I still want another good WR. 

Damar’s return to play means it’s only a matter of time before I’m cursing his inability to take a good angle on a runner in the open field.

(I’m going to hell, obviously.)

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I like the Floyd signing and assume it means curtains for either Epenesa or Basham, probably via trade for something like a 4th-rounder next year.

They're both still cost-controlled, though.

Also, there’s no way those guys fetch a 4th rounder. A 6th?

Edited by That Aud Smell

32 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Damar’s return to play means it’s only a matter of time before I’m cursing his inability to take a good angle on a runner in the open field.

(I’m going to hell, obviously.)

Hes going to be the best fourth safety in the league 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I also like the Oliver extension, and Oliver generally, although I think his play tailed off last year, possibly due to injury.

I still want another good WR. 

Settle might get traded, though it probably ought to be Basham. Epenesa is a lunch pail guy, but I think he had 6.5 sacks last year so he's last one in at the moment, imo. Some folks suggest Lawson, but he sets the edge well and is generally a solid rotation fella. Phillips is another one I would consider. He is a flashy dim and doesn't take care of himself so gets hurt, often on bonehead plays.

Neglecting receiver and getting oline wrong are this regime's recurring issues, criminal with a franchise qb like Josh. Davis is low end WR2. Hopkins may have lost a step, but he is the opposite of Davis. Catches everything, but probably best at this point on short and intermediate routes. I think Beane would find the money if Hopkins were willing to come in around a threshold he is comfortable with. Don't know who else is out there that is worth more than what we have. Some speculate Mike Evans could be on the trading block, but I surmise that is just folk's conjecture because the Bucs are rebuilding and figure to be bad for a few years.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Neglecting WR ? I don't know about that narrative. Brought in a lot . Kincaid is a slot WR with a TE designatiion. A rookie but they had nothing in the middle of the field last year.  Brought in Sherfield, Harty. Drafted Shakir and Shorter in the last 2 drafts. Davis had the high ankle sprain all year. 

I get the thinking.  None compare to the Hopkins...of old. But legit concerns with him now.  Missed half his games with Cardinals with suspensions and injuries. Reportedly asked out of practicing even when healthy. Asked for trade. Won't play for peanuts, after watching OBJ get 15 Mil.  Bills are now over the ever changing Cap by 3 Mil, according to Beane.  Seems like they are kicking a lot of cans down the road cap wise already. We'll see but I'm not morphing into some imaginary funk if Hopkins isn't a Bill. 

31 minutes ago, Night Train said:

Neglecting WR ? I don't know about that narrative. Brought in a lot . Kincaid is a slot WR with a TE designatiion. A rookie but they had nothing in the middle of the field last year.  Brought in Sherfield, Harty. Drafted Shakir and Shorter in the last 2 drafts. Davis had the high ankle sprain all year. 

I get the thinking.  None compare to the Hopkins...of old. But legit concerns with him now.  Missed half his games with Cardinals with suspensions and injuries. Reportedly asked out of practicing even when healthy. Asked for trade. Won't play for peanuts, after watching OBJ get 15 Mil.  Bills are now over the ever changing Cap by 3 Mil, according to Beane.  Seems like they are kicking a lot of cans down the road cap wise already. We'll see but I'm not morphing into some imaginary funk if Hopkins isn't a Bill. 

I understand about Kincaid. On the football side of this forum I was pushing for his selection six weeks before the draft. I liked him better than the conventional WRs available. So I was very happy with the pick, but Beane has generally used premium picks elsewhere. No one is "morphing into some imaginary funk" over Hopkins. He would be a nice add. I think Kincaid will emerge as a threat the opposing D needs to account for. I would not count on that his rookie year, though he has the talent to make that happen. In that respect, it would be optimal to sign Hopkins to a short-term deal so that Diggs is harder to double, especially in the playoffs where he has disappeared recently. As is, this should be a much more versatile offense provided Dorsey is up to the challenge of incorporating the run game into a coherent attack and using all the weapons.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

7 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Settle might get traded, though it probably ought to be Basham. Epenesa is a lunch pail guy, but I think he had 6.5 sacks last year so he's last one in at the moment, imo. Some folks suggest Lawson, but he sets the edge well and is generally a solid rotation fella. Phillips is another one I would consider. He is a flashy dim and doesn't take care of himself so gets hurt, often on bonehead plays.

Neglecting receiver and getting oline wrong are this regime's recurring issues, criminal with a franchise qb like Josh. Davis is low end WR2. Hopkins may have lost a step, but he is the opposite of Davis. Catches everything, but probably best at this point on short and intermediate routes. I think Beane would find the money if Hopkins were willing to come in around a threshold he is comfortable with. Don't know who else is out there that is worth more than what we have. Some speculate Mike Evans could be on the trading block, but I surmise that is just folk's conjecture because the Bucs are rebuilding and figure to be bad for a few years.

It just seems like there's more of a numbers game at DE now with Floyd, Von and Rousseau as the clear top 3.  Keeping all of AJE, Boogie and Shaq would mean 6 DEs, which doesn't seem likely.  I suppose they could try to address it by moving on from one of the DTs, but it seems more likely, and in keeping with BB's history, that they'll try to get a draft pick for one of the DEs.

Totally agree on WR and OL.  They are dying for another stud opposite Diggs, and I don't think Davis has the goods.  The other guys seem like they could be decent #3 or #4 guys, but none of them seems like a worthy #2.  They do have 2 good weapons at TE, so hopefully they can develop an offense that utilizes the TE more than they've done previously.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

It just seems like there's more of a numbers game at DE now with Floyd, Von and Rousseau as the clear top 3.  Keeping all of AJE, Boogie and Shaq would mean 6 DEs, which doesn't seem likely.  I suppose they could try to address it by moving on from one of the DTs, but it seems more likely, and in keeping with BB's history, that they'll try to get a draft pick for one of the DEs.

Totally agree on WR and OL.  They are dying for another stud opposite Diggs, and I don't think Davis has the goods.  The other guys seem like they could be decent #3 or #4 guys, but none of them seems like a worthy #2.  They do have 2 good weapons at TE, so hopefully they can develop an offense that utilizes the TE more than they've done previously.

Agree on most of this. Kincaid as big slot is a hybrid. He's not just a big WR, but he's different than a conventional TE. I hear you on the DE vs. DT thing. My speculation there is largely based on my sense that Settle was pretty underwhelming in terms of what I think they hoped to get out of him. Also, you can move Shaq inside on certain situations. All the same, probably a DE gets moved.

• Like (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Is Miller back at the start of the season? If not, it seems like you can let the performance of these other guys and the injury bug answer the question of who might get the boot. 

1 hour ago, shrader said:

Is Miller back at the start of the season? If not, it seems like you can let the performance of these other guys and the injury bug answer the question of who might get the boot. 

Interesting take. All indications are that Miller will be a PUP type scenario - returning week 6 (?).

6 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

It's a pretty big accomplishments for Josh allen he went from a write off bust to a superstar.

Happy for the bills fan 

Who considered Allen a “write off bust?” Because nobody in the league, from scouts to pro personnel directors to GMs ever did. Not for a minute. You must be referring to those talking head pundits who manufactured a narrative to support their unfounded claims. Some of who still can’t admit they were wrong. 

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

Who considered Allen a “write off bust?” Because nobody in the league, from scouts to pro personnel directors to GMs ever did. Not for a minute. You must be referring to those talking head pundits who manufactured a narrative to support their unfounded claims. Some of who still can’t admit they were wrong. 

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

Does their name rhyme with Dick Kite?